A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: KoolExchange

Chris, can you tell me how the FLV-Dropper should work ?
    When I start it, I don't see anything and it runs as a service
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

One advantage of the AIR format compared to an example with the player compiled into the exe is indeed that the size is smaller. Another advantage is that the structure of an AIR file isn't very complicated so it's easier to create.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I just uninstalled and reinstalled and it should just be the SmallTV media player which allows you to drop FLV files on it and drag it around by grabbing it.

AIR is free so it will most likely see the bears share of use but in sheer power and features the new SWF Studio 3.5 is amazing. I can't even begin to describe the things Studio can do that AIR can't dream of. If you are a commercial coder and can justify the cost....Studio can't be beat (yes, that includes Zinc 3.0....no contest). You wrap your Koolmoves, Flash, Flex or whatever movie and assets in a studio wrapper the assets never even hit the users hard drive (unless you want them to)...everything is encrypted (448) and run right from inside the exe. If I have a movie that uses XML for instance, I can pack the XML in the layout and the wrapped movie uses that XML from inside the exe without need to extract even temporarily. Same for any asset.

I just cleaned up a line of code that was giving Wilbert trouble with the app. I think he's going to swap what is in the exchange for the fixed version.

The fixed version is online now. A nice application

Quote Originally Posted by w.brants
    The fixed version is online now. A nice application
    Thank you sir

Gizmo Booklet

Made my first submission to the Kool Exchange - under Miscellaneous. Hope it's accepted. I should say that I submitted a movie that is a compilation of five separate components made by others -Remus, T. Moore, B. Lanius, & L. Henshall - plus a simple puzzle I made added to the end. The purpose of the submission is to show how a number of different components made by others (or oneself) can be easily combined by simply adding separate component movie FUN files to one's KoolMoves program folder (I added to clipart animation folder) and importing to the movie effortlessly.

Should be helpful to newer users.

Request for additional Exchange category

Wondering if we could submit requests for new categories (or vote,etc) for the Exchange?

Currently we have AS3 classes (for example)

Can we add another?

Proposed:

AS3 Classes - Original Works
    AS3 Classes - Mashups

Reason:

There will be cases where we create our own classes from scratch...package all files and submit (original).

There will also be cases where there is original code combined with existing 3rd party classes or snippets (mashups) which may require the end user to have the needed external classes installed (but they may feel uncomfortable distributing other authors publicly available classes or packages).

Selfish Reason:
    I have a few items I plan to submit that use TweenMax and other packages like publicly available reflection classes and want to cover this before I do.

Currently the categories are hardcoded making it not very convenient to add new categories. I understand more categories might be needed. Feel free to mention them.

I would appreciate more general feedback from users as well on the Exchange. What I would like to know is what features are used. Do you use the category selection, do you ever sort on other things or use the search function, do you consider the download counts to be important, is the list of categories as they are working fine or would a tree structure be better, is it important the actionscript version that is used is mentioned for each contribution etc.

The feature I really like is the thumbnail preview of the item. Sometimes the explanations may fall short.

Not sure if this is a submitter item or not.
    The KoolMoves KoolExchange is one KoolPuppy.

E-Z Websites

I honestly don't know what is best for the Exchange. My game plan is to submit...and let the powers that be decide where it fits best. Almost all of my code was dynamic with AS1 submissions and my AS3 submissions will be the same so if I can differentiate well enough than I could mirror almost all my current submissions (in the same category) with the AS3 equivalent.

I have three coming today and quite honestly don't know what categories to choose.

1. TweenMax with Reflections example...hard coded....no server side....uses publicly available classes. This is the same one I submitted for the Koolmoves website.

**This was already submitted to Flashkit here as well. Wait for the KoolExchange version though as I buggered the fun file in the Flashkit submission (slideshow content urls are wrong in the source).****

2. Koolmoves Changelog Reader- shows using a server side proxy, URLRequests,URLLOaders,URLVariables, stylesheets, event listeners, error handling and etc.

3. A surprise movie sure to be a hit with users Like Phil and Stoke who are webdesigners that uses a publicly available class (from a rather famous guy).

Just like I did with KM AS1 code, I will submit every single file I submit to the Exchange to Flashkit as well. I've always seen that as an opportunity to have the word "Koolmoves" popup in a search engine (I'm shameless in my efforts to recruit new KM users ) . The more instances of the word koolmoves...the better the chances

As a sidenote, looking at the download counts for the KM/Adobe AIR category, it's hard to tell if anyone is actually utilizing Adobe AIR with Koolmoves.

In cases where a user needs an installable desktop application with access to the users operating system, a simple swf projector won't suffice. In the past KM6/AS1 users could leverage quite a few commercially available SWf Wrappers (like SWf Studio, Zinc,etc) as well as Adobe AIR (KM content would communicate with AIR using a localConnection). This is no longer the case if your Koolmoves movie is AS3 based. The commercial wrappers all use SWC to leverage their AS3 classes (which KM7 does not yet support) now which IMO leaves Adobe AIR as the only alternative. On the bright side KM content can now communicate with AIR using the Loader class so in this respect KM/AIR applications are able to now integrate better with AIR than before.

My question is this. Is anyone else playing with KM/AIR? Is it worth it to create new examples and submit? If yes....I will do my part. If no...I will simply assume it's something only viable to me and save the effort.

I rarely (if ever) get feedback so I honestly don't know how useful any of my stuff is to KM users.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    I rarely (if ever) get feedback so I honestly don't know how useful any of my stuff is to KM users.
    Totally invaluable , as you have said, the vast majority of what you illustrate is dynamic, and even if it's not the complete solution, signposts to what is required.

As for use with other products, I see very little evidence of it, or maybe the recipients are simply cutting and running, but personally I would welcome any illustrations of what can be achieved in stand alone applications, which normaly I used for cd based presentations and software loaders and resource discs.

As for no feed back, well I guess thats how the world is, over 2000 downloads later from my blog of free complete flash templates, and almost 3000 from the exchange, and I have heard back from 3!

Hahaha....I feel your pain

What spurred the question was a recent post in the news room about AIR and FP10.

100 million installations of AIR so far. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke Laurie
    As for no feed back, well I guess thats how the world is, over 2000 downloads later from my blog of free complete flash templates, and almost 3000 from the exchange, and I have heard back from 3!
    You didn't count me three times, did you?

E-Z Websites

Have you or Phil begun converting your old v6 html editor routines (suites) to Wilberts RTE with AS3 to interact with server sides? This is another example I would like to see submitted since so much has changed with external data (for the better) with AS3.

As I don't host, have left it alone.

E-Z Websites

Ah, beacause I do, I guess it's down to me!