dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rude

Rude

I do not believe people should be afraid to ask a question even if it is how to put a stop(); code in to their AS.

That is what the whole forum is too shared and to learn new tricks and I do not believe people should be judge by their knowledge.

So to all the people that get mean and know more than others, don't be mad at the noobs, I being doing Flash for a year now read a lot of books and keep on learning because of places like this. Sometime may seem like people ask too much but not only those two get help is every member that gets help.

So for Squize and all the other people that know more if you do not want to help then don't but do not make people feel stupid for asking or for needing help. Because besides that one individual there are 100 more that benefit from the answer or the ideas that come from that question.

So mate's if you want to kick me out of Flashkit do so but i speak my peace and i come here to learn exchange ideas and have fun not to be judge by the so call Flash gods.

Peace

PS True Story :A few months back i created a tank shooting game and something was funny on my code coudn't figure out what is was all i needed was for a second set of eyes to know that i put stop; instead of stop();

Sometimes all it takes is a little help.

And if some one dosen't want to shared their hole code i understand that too because there is no stoping who may have the bad intencions of stealing your idea.

Jay

The man with the plan !!!

If you are implying that people here on flashkit flame and laugh at people when they ask for basic code then you are seriously mistaken. The only times ive ever seen people angry at new members is when:
    A. They Double-Post
    B. They didnt read the stickies,
    C. The havnt search or thier questions been asked a million times before.
    So for Squize and all the other people that know more if you do not want to help then don't but do not make people feel stupid for asking or for needing help.
    Im not sure if thats a stab at squize who helped me since i was new to the forums along with others but i have never seen any posts like this:

New member 1 says:
    How do i stop the timeline

Member:
    Noob. :P
    Im not sure where your going with this post or whether someones done that but your really onto a rant with no cause.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

If you're asking 'noob' questions, use the 'Flash Newbies' section of the forum. This section of the forum is where, in my opinion (although I've never actually been in any other part of the forum :P) all the pros and freelancers hang out; you'll get a higher quality of answers here, but the people here also expect a higher quality of questions. You should probably browse around for a section that suits you.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Take it for what it is I believe Flashkit is great and i like to be part of the comunity to learn and post and enjoy talking of thing i enjoy doing.

My words are on top even if they doble post even if they ask everyday we should be nice because we are not there we are not talking and is like reading the bible you need multiple interpretations to understand in your soul what it truly means.

So take comment do what ever you like I am cool with flashkit and i think is great but just be cool.

a good example not everyone but a good one that it happends

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=694496

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=694768
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    If you're asking 'noob' questions, use the 'Flash Newbies' section of the forum. This section of the forum is where, in my opinion (although I've never actually been in any other part of the forum :P) all the pros and freelancers hang out; you'll get a higher quality of answers here, but the people here also expect a higher quality of questions. You should probably browse around for a section that suits you.
    A good example of a flash god.

may be you should put a games for beginers and one for god's and in the middle of that give grades...lol later useless
    Jay

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Gotta agree with Tidusen here. Noobs hardly ever get flamed here, they may get told to do a search or post in the newbie forum, but this is simply to help keep the forums free of clutter and to stop repeated questions.
    Flaming is pretty rare really and only happens for example when a 12 year old kid who has never written a line of code in his life comes on here asking for a fully qualified team of flash developers to help him make a MMORPG. Even in that situation, many people would simply point him in the right direction rather than flaming. In all, sure the boards might seem a little un helpful at times, but there is always a good reason for it. If the question is clear and its obvious the person has tried, then help will be given straight away.

And why have a go at Squize?

Ali

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=694496
    To broad a question. This is exactly what squize replied:
    It's not so much people aiming too high, as people using the board ( And in effect people's good will and time and knowledge ) to get there using the min. of effort.
    The persno was asking for a whole game to be made for him.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=694768
    people get sick and tired of seeing the same post over and over again with people asking for help every step of the way. Ive seen you post nearly the same question everytime and people did answer in the previous thread but you still continue to post. What people tend to forget is that a forum is a community not a 24-hour hotline which revolves around you.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I am not even going there ... but I am 30y old and I done flash sence flsh 4 I am not a god when it comes to gaming but i get things.

and that 12 year old should have that right because we all know we learn from other people more than what we do with books... all I am saying if nothing good is going to come out... why acuse people of being lazzy when you do not know why tell people that they can when they dream.

I guess i like to be nice to everyone and mean people piss me off...I like to joke and all that and i can take a idiot joke but be nice while at it.
    Jay

Please forgive me, but I am going to flame a bit here. If you are 30 years old and from Michigan (with English as your native tongue), I weep for the future. My god man (or woman)! Learn to use correct spelling and punctuation when you post! Mistakes and typos happen all the time and are fine, but some of your posts are so bad that they require a Rosetta Stone just to read. Lack of care when you post shows a disrepect to all the readers of this board.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay2391
    I do not believe people should be afraid to ask a question even if it is how to put a stop(); code in to their AS.
    But there IS a forum for that:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29

That is what the whole forum is too shared and to learn new tricks and I do not believe people should be judge by their knowledge.
    Yep...

Of course, what you're talking about wasn't really judgemental. It was an observation and a bit of advice.

OFF TOPIC RANT: Also I can and will judge people who took a FLA file, put their graphics in and are crying because it doesn't work (even though the site they took the FLA from has a detailed explaination of EVER SINGLE LINE OF CODE).

So for Squize and all the other people that know more if you do not want to help then don't but do not make people feel stupid for asking or for needing help. Because besides that one individual there are 100 more that benefit from the answer or the ideas that come from that question.
    Dude, to be honest, I agree with Squize. There is asking for help with a work in progress or problem someone is having, and then there's getting everything code-wise and not really trying to experiment and learn what does what.

Yes, there are some REALLY good samaritans on this board who will answer every question and basically write the game for you, but even they have limitations on their patience.

(Willoughby Remembers the DBZ fight game and cries...)

Squize wasn't mincing words, but he wasn't being rude. Trust me, I've seen him "not nice" and "rude", and that wasn't even CLOSE to rude.

Programming a game is hard, and as you get farther along, it is better to experiment with code you are given. When you change a number, what happens? Do you know about trace statements and how to use them? What happens if X variable is true instead of false? Stuff like that.

Mayhaps, it's better to try a simple ball Flash game first. Mayhaps Pong?

Doing an Atari 2600 Basketball game is easier while doing NBA Jam takes a good bit of math, and a lot of experience (or experimentation).

-Willoughby
    Where is the Line?
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 07-13-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Mayhaps
    If that wasnt a typo then you are the first person ive ever met apart frmo myself who uses that word.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    [OT] Nope, I use mayhaps.

I also use the following words:

groovy
    kooky
    super keen
    rocking
    a large piece of alright
    w00t

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    What can I say, I've made more than 80 games and one of my last questions was (as I now think) very stupid, I was asking a method to check 2 statments, 2 variables, I was using "or", somebody correct me by using "||", so I think everybody needs this kind of help, I'm not an expert and like a lot of people here I don't go anywhere else, I stay here in the games forum LOL

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

i only ever use these:
    Games forum - My flash questions
    Newbie Section - Answering Questions
    Scripting and Backend - my php questions

Wow, I've become the bad man of FK games again.

*I've edited this bit, perhaps went a little bit too far ( Talking cash )*

You see, I didn't mean my first post to be too harsh. I, like it seems some others, was just getting a little bit fed up of your almost weekly posts on the same topic. The replies of "Thanks for the code, but it doesn't do exactly what I want" and then another thread with the same question appearing a day or two later.
    But you've so pissed me off now. Starting another thread to show how "rude" I am. A simple pm saying I'd pissed you off would have been enough, but nah, you've made a bit of a show of it.

Oh and Jay, you may think I'm unfriendly, that I consider myself some sort of Flash "God". Check out the Read Me sticky ( Think I mentioned that in the other thread ), look who wrote it up.
    The reason behind that was the amount of flaming going on, with lots of people rather like yourself, asking the same tired old questions over and over. So to avoid the flaming and in an attempt to give people a bit of help when they first come here, myself with the input of a lot of other guys, wrote up that guide.

See I got into Flash at version 4 too. I worked my nuts off to get good at it. I learnt a lot from a lot of very good people here, people who I still learn a lot from. In return I've tried to hopefully help people where I can.
    I've never expected the moon on a stick when it comes to help though, and hopefully never will. Guess that's where we differ.

Squize.
    Last edited by Squize; 07-13-2006 at 04:37 PM.

I have no problem with noobs asking questions but I do get slightly annoyed when people ask something they could either find in the help file, on google in about 2 secs or in a tutorial on this site that someone has written for the exact person who is asking the question.

Why should people waste their time answering questions that you could easily find the answer to yourself in about 5 seconds?

A prime example of this would be someone asking for the keycode in Flash for the 'w' key. Asking for an answer to a question like that is just pure lazyness.

Noone minds answering 'easy' questions if the answer isnt ridiculously easy to find somewhere else.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

I think many people on this board (including Squize) are VERY helpful,way more than on other boards i visit.
    With other forums which were lively in the past the situation is that most of the developers with experience went into business and either post on blogs or not at all anymore and getting help is normally not easier than here at all.
    (I actually know few flash dev boards left where you have such an active games forum visited by beginners just like by people in the industry).
    As Squize said he got the readme sticky rolling in a time every newby got flamed quickly just because there were so many lazy ones people got bored of the entire newby section in a way (or so it seemed).

To me there´s four main types of "lazy" people other members get mad about:
    -Ones not looking the most elementary syntax questions up in the flash ide help
    (Its not great but its ok for the basics at least) or on the forum search or the forum tutorials section
    -Ones wanting to do the most complex game types without beeing able to move a sprite around
    (sure one should and can have dreams,but yeah,don´t wonder people are not excited about the millionth gta thread)
    -Ones wanting to have an entire game written by someone else or get really each smallest step explained in detail to avoid experimenting/trying alone
    (sure,i can understand that,a tutor is always great,but yeah,you are on a FREE forum,in best case someone experienced will help you who is probably working most of the day and dedicating his few free time to help newbies,come on,do your part of that deal and try,too)
    -People not taking the time to post in propper manner. sure,i´m the first when its about writing in lowercase,but that´s again a step better at least than PoWnZ RoXXORZ chat app lingo. It may be cool there and its good for a laugh in between,but if you want to be taken seriously it won´t bring you onwards to always post in that style. (To point that out,i´m not talking about people with issues with the english language here,i´m talking about those actually able to write in english but instead thinking its more cool to write in a style no one can/wants to read other than their chat mates)

So if people act like one of those for a while even the most helpful people here (and anywhere) will get bored off,otherwise here´s some happy friendly crowd around
    Last edited by tomsamson; 07-13-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Wow, I've become the bad man of FK games again.
    Hardly.
    When were you the bad man before anyways ??

"When were you the bad man before anyways ??"

I called Zidane's mum a bad name

Sometimes I am an arse. At least I'm aware of it, and cut my arseness down a min nowadays. Anyway sometimes it's good to stir things up, get people thinking.

Squize.

crossconscious
    What the hell - Squize wasn't being rude, he was being honest. Looks like you can't accept the truth or something.

Creating games is hard - good ones at least. It's fun too, but still very hard. I've been programming for a very long time, and I still have a LOT to learn. I'm willing to share what little knowledge I have, and a lot of other people along with me, but you need to learn how to program yourself if you want to get somewhere.

You've gotten a lot of help on "your" game already, be thankful for it, but don't be afraid to experiment when you're stuck. That's the only way you'll learn to do it by yourself.

And you're right, you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions here (what's the worst that can happen - people thinking you're a noob?), but other members should be able to say it when they have an issue with it too, without being called rude.

Getting good at this takes motivation, lots of practice, and intelligence. If you start calling people rude when they put you into place when they have all right doing so, and make a retarded thread about it (which is a lot ruder imho), then you might lack the latter. Then again, I don't know you so I can't say.

And what's that bible analogy all about? Programming has nothing to do with that. It's science (and a bit of heart too). It's perfectly possible to understand it without multiple interpretations, it just takes time.

But anyways, thank god this place isn't as bad as newgrounds. On one day, I saw 3 threads there from people asking "how to make an swf out of a fla". Can't these people use google, or the help that's integrated in Flash? Or just open the menu's and see what's in them.