A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [BETA] Kings of Conquest (Risk like game)

[BETA] Kings of Conquest (Risk like game)

I am about 99% done with my new war game. Its based off of Borderlands and an old video game Lords of Conquest. All that is left for me to do is the AI. But the Player vs Player is done, if you have friends and like to play war games, check it out.

Kings of Conquest
    http://www.flashtreasures.com/Content/mpkocl.swf
    205kb

Let me know what you think, good or bad all feedback helps. Also any suggestions, mistake corrections help a ton too.

thanks, hope you enjoy!

pretty awesome! i love the map generation. i tried playing against the AI, despite the fact that it doesn't attack or anything...

the only thing i found that kinda cheapened it for me was that i started a game and got 2 territories with gold, built cities on them right away, then attacked another territory with gold, built a city there, and won the game in only a few turns. it seemed like a good strategy, but it just felt kinda cheap. maybe make cities cost a little more in order to balance it.

other than that, it was pretty awesome. i also played a game against myself, and I won!

and maybe you could add a timing option, to speed up the production process and such. when there were 36 territories, waiting for that to pass was kinda long.

i really like it, though. and the map generation is freakin' incredible. i'm a sucker for random maps

any more feedback? all is appreciated, good and bad. I'm working on the AI every day so you will be able to do more vs the computer as it updates. BUt if you have some friends who like war games, try it out, its based off a classic.

The link didn´t work for me.
    http://www.drakon.com.ar

yea, my site is down for a day or two for maintenance nand upgrades.

back up, check it again plz

Greetings.

I played a little bit. I hope I can help you with a couple of ideas.

-I would add an assistant that could guide the player through the game. Somehow I find the indications on the bottom of the page kind of short. As many strategy games, it is sometimes hard to learn to play the first time.

-Adding some better graphics and designs will add a lot to it because is a good game, but graphically it is not that good.

Good work! Hope I helped.

martin first off, thank you for the feedback. Did you see the "how to play" button on the front page? or did you just go into the game and try to play it?

As for the graphics, its just a simple war game, and its more designed on the game play. I don't have any plans to redo any graphics yet, but I will keep it in mind.

It will be better when the AI is all done, but this game is best played with other people.

thanks again...
    Last edited by mpalma; 07-20-2006 at 11:31 AM.

double post

mpalma, I did both, first I try to play without reading how, my experience says most people try to do this before learning. After one tried, I followed the instructions.

My suggestion about the assistant was related to the fact that is a medium level complexity game to me (is not pacman), and even if you read all the instructions, It might be helpful for players to have some reminders during the first games.

I found very interesting the terrain generator. I hope you can explain us a little bit how you developed the system?

when you read the instructions did it give you a good idea about the game? how would you rate the instructions 1-10?

I noted your idea, I have to finish the AI first though.

the terrain generator is pretty simple and basic. I make a 2D array and zero it out. then I generate 2 random coords (x,y) and test for a 2x2 empty space (looking for 0's) if its clear I have it do up to 200 random direction passes, that look for an empty spot, and fills it if it finds it. fill means, replace the '0' in the array with the number of the territory its generating. The graphics are all math based off of a 3x3 grid, as you can predict what each spots graphic will be by the surrounding water or land.

I just did this quick so I could start doing the game, there are much better ways to generate the territories. I will redo this at some point after its done.
    Last edited by mpalma; 07-20-2006 at 03:02 PM.