A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Distributing my games

Distributing my games

I'm not exactly a professional, but I think I'm sufficiently budding enough to post here.

Anyway, I am working on a flash game which I think could be pretty popular - maybe on par with Bullet Time Fighting with enough polishing. This will be the first flash game I release (and the second one I've started) so I'm not really looking to make money off this, I'm mostly trying to establish a reputation.

Do you have any advice for me about how to go about distributing the game? I know there are portals like Newgrounds and Addicting Games where I could submit it. What other portals are good, and is there anything else I should consider before releasing the game?

For example, I don't really feel like spending a lot of time on piracy-prevention, because I want the game to be spread around, but I do want to retain credit for my work. And are high scores that important? I don't know how to do that.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I strongly suggest that you go to Crazy Monkey Games (www.crazymonkeygames.com or www.crazymonkeygames.com/sponsor.php). You can send your game into them and the'll pay you plus give awesome exposure. They're pretty well the best game sponsor out there. After they sponsor you they even let you submit the game to Newgrounds and stuff and put it on your website.

Let us know how it works out... whats it going to be called?

Wow, a reply! Thanks. I had pretty much given up on getting any feedback here.

How does Crazy Monkey Games compare with Armor Games? I have been considering entering the Armor Gaming Challenge.

By the way, there is a little more info about my game here.

I hadn't seen the Armor Game Challenge before. The rewards for Armor Game look alot better, so if you think you stand a good chance there, that's where I'd go. If you don't think you could win the Armor Game Challenge, I'd go with Crazy Monkey- I've noticed they give alot better exposure.

If you decide to enter the Armor Game Challenge, the prizes look pretty unrealistic, so make sure to read all the fine print and contact them about how they can afford those prizes. If you feel Armor Games isn't going to cheat you out of the prize and you think you could win a prize, that's where I'd go, but if not, stick with Crazy Monkey.

I hope everything works out good with your game and all.... keep us up to date.

Good Luck!,
    Zak

I think I have a good chance of winning the Armor Games Challenge - the other entries I've seen aren't too impressive.

I'm emailing them to ask about how the prizes work. They seem trustworthy, but I agree that it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!
    Hopefully the next time you see my game it will be in the announcement of the Grand Prize winner!

[EDIT]
    Here's the response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inglor
    The prizes are sent either by check, paypal or wire transfer There is no additional fine print. Just what's on the page (just so you know, in case of no other fine print, problems are judged for your better). Feel free to send this guy from the flashkit boards my way.

CMG and ArmorGames are good friends, AG has been in the business for longer though and sponsored more content. About exposure imagine a listing of good games, obviously that would be a place webmasters would visit giving you lots of job offers and exposure Some people entered the contest although they got offers better than the first prize just for that exposure and none of them regret that.
    Last edited by axcho; 08-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.