A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Are these types of animations done in actionscript?

Are these types of animations done in actionscript?

Specifically, there are sites with "spinning flat planes" where the flat items seem to start off in the background perspective and flip around to the front...Im curious how to actually acheive this effect (including the "blur effect' that happens during the movement) is it actionscript, or done in another "3d program" and imported as a frame series?

here are examples...sorry for the heavy use of template monster, but it is easier to find examples among those sites...

1.http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/10037.html (the effect can be seen in the intro and in the transition between sections)

2. http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...ates/7074.html (can be seen in the intro)

3.http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/10334.html (the content area does it during the section transitions...)

(this quesiton has been asked before) however the answer was ....use flash 8 ...I need more detail, or even better, a tutorial ...if at all posible. Thanks so much to anyone that has a chance to help out...

id would say it is done in some 3d programe and imported in as a serie of frames. the blur can be done in Photoshop or Flash.

I appreciate the input Jujumon...I have no problem drawing elements in Photoshop but does anyone have any more idea of the types of techniques you would use for these transitions...(by this I mean actual methods and tutorials)...not so much just naming 3d max, Maya, swift, Bryce and so on as possibilities ...

I could draw each frame in Photoshop but that would obviously be time consuming...Basically I’m looking for more resources in creating these than just the "programs" that could do it...I supposed I could create something in 3d max and export them as frames, but do the items created in max support transparency forinstance... that way I could edit them against a layer structure created in photoshop and exported to flash?

I realize this isnt a "one sentence" answer...and if you guys are to busy to explain this to me ...its understandable, I would just love to be pointed to some resources if anyone has any in mind...I have seen some that were actionscript based, but the actionscript based 3d that i have seen (tutorial wise) looked slightly techy and not so much animated and smooth...anyway...thanks for the help, and I hope someone could clue me in ...

Maybe you would like to specify which programs you have and which version . So that people with the same programs can point you correctly to a more detailed tutorial on the FX.

goodluck

Anyways, i'm almost sure that these effects and animations aren't created with AS. Mostly, effects like these are create with a bit of "frame work", they just animate it step by step and after that they adjust it to their needs. I've never seen any animations like that created with As ( altought it may be possible, but i'm sure that it's damn complicated and it can mess up things realy badly ).

Kind Regards,
    Biro

Actually you already answer your own question

those samples in templatemonster are made by 3d program like 3dmax, swift.... and export to frame by frame animation. how to do that? that not a flash question anymore.

not really animate by actionscript, kinda obvious.

thanks to everyone...the reason I asked, was not because I have no clue as to what "could" do it...it is more that i have seen a lot of "flash" sites with it, and while it may be a scene export ...the reason I ask here and not another forum (like a 3d max site for maya or xsi) is because of the fact that i see so many flash sites using these techniques for interface design, and was hoping that someone had a "tried and true" method...or had seen one

in answer to Jujumon i agree more detail on the programs i use would be good...the program specification is not a problem...I go to a school with any graphics program you can think of available..and im comfortable on photoshop[ and flash but not so much 3d progs..which is why i ask for advice...if there is a place to start it is here..and i figured get others opinions on that before venturing off and trying "everything"

I get that i "could" theoretically... draw rectangle in 3d max...create frame sequence add friction and curvature (this i dont know how to do) export this as png sequence (assuming the prog allows that_) so that transparency stays in place and edit the sequence in flash .....I get that...but I was just hoping someone had seen a resource,

Im not trying to be redunant or waste anyones time..while i do get what "could be done" i still dont know "HOW" to do it...im not completely ignorant...(just partially I appreciate the input,

and as far as the "obviously" not actionscript...the reason i threw that out there is becuase of resources like this http://www.page-flip.com/demos.htm which are controlled via actionscript and are pretty realistic "flipping wise" without being done in 3d ...i was wondering if their was a derrivative of that to do what im looking to do...obviously this is a sort of "broad" question, and im not trying to waste your guys time..as much as trying to search for an answer to help me out...again i appreciate all of the input

Well, actually you can use script to do shape transform. but just manually animate it will be much more easier.

the page flip and those flipping example in the monster template is quite different actually

if you want a free page flip, follow this link
    http://www.iparigrafika.hu/pageflip/

While I suppose you could do all of those in a 3D program, it looks to me like all three examples were done with just frame-by-frame animation in Flash. The only blurring I see is in the one with the photo, and that could be done on the required frames with either Flash or Photoshop. The only time it gets truly 'photographic' is after the animation has stopped, everything previous seems to be just vector shapes, as do the other two.

A 3D program is helpful in that it takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. By doing that you aren't required to envision what all the shapes should look like on any given frame before you begin. You can just do your transforms and animate the object moving around. The camera will capture all the action with minimal effort on your part. That would probably be the biggest reason you might want to go that route. One thing about the exact method you mentioned though, using transparent .pngs will produce a much larger file size than using vectors.

As for tutorials or exact instructions, that's kind of hard to do without knowing precisely what kind of effect you are going for. Each of those examples would require slightly different steps, but basically what it boils down to is that you would have to draw the contents of each frame by hand or let a 3D program do it for you.

If you were going to do it in a 3D app, then you would set up a camera, create your content panel shape, animate your flipping, bending or whatever, then render it out to vectors. All that remains is for you to become familiar with the tools in the specific program that you plan on using.

You said that you have access to 3D apps at your school, but that you didn't know how to do the curvature. Keep in mind that you don't need to learn every function and nuance of the program, just the parts that pertain to what you want to do. Frankly, I wouldn't bother looking beyond the help file for whatever program you choose. You know what you want to do...animate and add a curvature...so read the bits that pertain to those functions. You might have to look up a bit of information about cameras and rendering options as well.

I'm not trying to put you off from posting in the forums, but honestly...the help file should have everything you need. Think of it as a tiny internet where all the answers pertain only to the topic in question. You won't have to wade through a sea of completely useless information in the hopes of finding the one answer that you are looking for. It's really quite a simple and elegant thing, you just figure out what you want to do then look up how to do it.

Just in case there is any question, I'm not trying to say 'go figure it out for yourself, you lazy bum'. Based on your needs and your circumstances I simply think that's the best way to go.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..