A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Link position error when browser is resized or scrolls...

Link position error when browser is resized or scrolls...

(Using SwishMax 2006.06.29)

I've been looking through the forums as well as on Google and I cannot seem to find anything on my particular problem.

In a nutshell, my site is built as one entire .swf with dimensions 1000w x 600h. Everything works fine when the site is viewed in a resolution high enough to display the entire file without scrollbars (1024x768, fullscreen). However, here's the rub: whenever the site is viewed at a resolution below that (or in a browser's regular mode at 1024x768) every single link in my flash is off in postion relative to the amount the screen is scrolled. Confusing, yes? Put simply: when the site is loaded, the links are all there and can be clicked. When the user scrolls, the view changes, but the clickable areas for the links stay where they were, effectively moving them off of the items they are supposed to be laying over. So, for example, if I have a link over some text that says "Contact me" then you can click it just fine when the site loads. However, if you scroll down an inch, then the "Contact me" text will be an inch higher on the screen, but the link will stay where it was, an inch below the text. This effectively ruins every link on my site.

I've never had this issue before and I am at a loss as to where to begin resolving it. Any advice, suggestions, or personal experience you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by iandroid; 07-24-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Swish version

Hi,
    There are probably a few ways of resolving this.

Two ways that come to mind would be:

1. Group your text and link shape together and place your "onRelease" script on the "group" (or whatever name you decide to change it to) -- can be seen in the outline panel to the left of your display/scripting window.

2. Place you text and link shape in a sprite with a "stop" action on, say, frame 2. Then you can place your "onRelease" script on the sprite.

This should resolve your disjointed link difficulty. Regardless of what res the viewer uses or ends up with -- the links and text will stay together.

Let me know how it works for you.

Blessings

jwr
    When all is said and done -- "You MUST be Born Again!" John 3:3