A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX] Clean shape-tweens?

[MX] Clean shape-tweens?

I can't get my shape tweens to form correctly. The edges jump around as the tween transitions then snap into place at the end. I realize doing a direct scale gives the best results, but how do I create smooth tweens where the acutal shape changes?

I found this, it is along the lines of what I'm talking about. The motion is veryy clean here, how do I achieve that? I realize mine won't turn out as well, this was made by a professional, etc.

http://www.modestmouse.com/web/goodtimes.html

use shape hits in each keyframe from the top menu go to Modify>Shape>Addshapes you get A, B, C...... and so on. try to kepp them relative to your last frame and it should work, I havent had too much experience with animation but you might be able to do a lot of that by animating a mask

i agree with donald to some degree..... Shape hints help.. but they are kind of tricky too.. if you add too many.. things get even more screwed up that if you had none.. but you need to strategically place them, in order to get the effect you want...

As for that site you posted a link for... more than likely, they used some sort of 3rd party animation program to create all those drips and streaks... or else they created a few movieclips, and used actionscript to scale/stretch them etc... no one in their right mind would shape tween all of that....

and of course.. there's the masking way of doing things... where you can more or less start at the end of your image (or watever) and go back frame by frame erasing a little more each frame so it looks as though your image is being drawn out when played forwards.... but again.. very time consuming...
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

What animation programs could I use to achieve those effects? The idea of mask tweening/frame-by-frame animating, in itself, is giving me the slight feeling that I may be getting a headache. I'd like to avoid frame-by-frame animating, at least in this application.

I actually didn't know those shape hints existed.. for that: thanks a lot

EDIT: These are actually working quite well, nevermind third party programs.. I like the drips I am getting. Thanks for the tip
    Last edited by airblaster; 07-31-2006 at 09:25 PM.

if i were you.. i'd create a few movieclips of your drips.... then you can duplicate them, place them randomly on the stage and use their _xscale/_yscale _width/_height properties to vary their appearance.. and tween them along the y-axis with Actionscript... It could turn out pretty cool like that.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx

I am having some trouble with my shape tweening.

here is a link to see what my problem is.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3...vid_Krulik.swf

the end result is nice clean lookin rolodex type card.
    However the inbetween is all jumbled and dishevled looking.
    I've tried shape hints, maybe I am using it wrong, but I put them on all the corners in counterclockwise fashion and still ahve the same problems.

Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Are your shape hints turning to yellow/green once they are placed? I think that means they are locked in correctly, if they remain red- try shuffling them around a bit.

Madzigian: I only need a few, I think 5-6 but that's a good idea. I was going to make three of them then play with the others using action-script. I'm having a little trouble making them look realistic, the first one I have looks good I think, but it's not really realistic enough.

Yes, they are turning yellow and green, no it still don't work.

I am using png files that have transparancies along with dropshadows.
    Is this a possible problem?

you can't shape-tween bitmaps (well maybe you can in Flash 8.. i don't know) Why don't you tween whatever you need to in FireWorks then just copy and paste it into flash, or convert it to a movieclip and drag it to Flash?...

Quote Originally Posted by madzigian
    you can't shape-tween bitmaps (well maybe you can in Flash 8.. i don't know) Why don't you tween whatever you need to in FireWorks then just copy and paste it into flash, or convert it to a movieclip and drag it to Flash?...

Been gone for awhile, but this issue has long since been resolved.

Cheers!