dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Feedback wanted.

Hybrid View

Feedback wanted.

I've been mucking around with a little photo re-touching, was hoping to get some feedback and perhaps a few tips and tricks from you all.
    I've attached the images because they belong to a friend of mine..
    What do you all think? And what can you reccomend?
    Last edited by Natsia; 03-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.

What is your goal? Are you trying to fix something in particular or is this just a manip for fun?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Practice really, just airbrushing the image, cleaning it up. Im trying to work on my blending and airbrushing...
    ... Does it look that bad rush?

Lol...I wouldn't say it looks bad at all. I just wanted to know where you were trying to go before I tried to determine whether you had gotten there or not.

I couldn't help taking a stab at it myself, though.

Here are all three side by side for comparison. The original is on the left, your manip is in the middle, and mine is on the right. I decided to go in a slightly different direction with the eyebrow and eye shadow. I'll let you decide if you want to know any more.

mrush

Im definately preferring yours.
    ...*grumble* showoff*grumble...
    So sir, how did you get her to look so soft while keeping all the details?
    HOW DID YOU DOOOO EEEET!
    ... I not in a good mood today.

I did a whole bunch of things, but I'll try to hit some of the highlights.

The first thing I did was adjust the levels to brighten up the whole image a bit. I used a layer mask to mask off the face, then I duplicated the background layer (original image) and used the Smart Blur filter on it. You could also probably use the Gaussian Blur filter, but basically you want to smooth everything out and don't worry too much about losing the details. The opacity of this layer was then reduced to about 70%. This did a good job of smoothing out the skin, but it left the lips and eyes too blurry, so I made the layer mask active and hid both of those elements.

The eyebrow was painted in using several layers and a very small brush, and the eyelashes were painted in as well. The eyeshadow was also painted in a separate layer with the blending mode set to 'color'. The opacity and hue of this layer were adjusted so the color blended in with the skin and complimented the tone. A merged copy of the eye was used to further adjust color and intensity, as well as brighten the white part of the eye. I put just a touch of 'sparkle' in the eyeshadow by using the Sharpen Tool to bring out some of the highlights once the color had been merged with the skin. If you have an adjusted eye in a separate layer, then you can adjust the opacity of that layer to control the intensity of your changes.

To further even out the skin tones, I created a radial gradient that covered the entire face using two colors that I picked up from the nose. The blending mode was set to 'color' and another layer mask was used to control how much of the color showed through.

Once I had done the basic stuff to the face, I hid the layers containing the hair I created for the eyebrow and eyelashes as well as the eyeshadow color, and then pasted a merged copy into a new layer. Then I turned the hair back on and adjusted the levels and hue/saturation of the face. The last thing I did was to create yet another merged copy and then I ran the Smart Sharpen filter on it to make things a little more crisp and clear.

So that's the nutshell...hope it's somehow helpful. If you want the .psd let me know and I'll send it to you.
    mrush

...I hate you.
    Awesome! Thanks Sir, Im gonna give your method a try.
    Really, it must have taken like... 15 mins to type all that out :P
    SPANK YOU!!!

No problem.
    mrush

Mister
    Yeah... Smart blur and blur tool are Nr.1 tools of Playboy Photoshoppers...gets you that smooth skin