dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3d usage questions

3d usage questions

I have my game street runner, which is a 2d-3d game and now looking into broadining the map.

my question is production. How would any of you suggest laying out the city?

my thoughts are 2 ways,

1 being create the entire city in 3ds max and then export each building scene as png convert that to a movieclip in flash add all the hit states and such in it and then call it with a call function.

2 being exporting just the renedered buildings, import to photoshop, layout the whole city map there and then import the whole map into flash and convert it to a mc and using a mask to only show whats on screen.

basically would you say its better to break the city up into a bunch of mc's or lay it out as only one giant one? as it is now in my street runner game it seems to run well. what I have are 3 seperate scenes of buildings layed out into 1 long ass mc that is masked and moved around via controls.

also I wonder about file size, maybie exporting just the buildings and then laying out the city via photoshop may bring the file size up. also it would make it harder to capture a solid lighting effect through the whole city.

suggestions..

you definitely wanna break it up in MCs or tiles......bring in a huge map w/ all your buildings would slow everything down to a crawl....

Student
    tiles all the way- creating 1 big map ist just biiiiiig waste of bandwidth and performance- besides you have much more time that way adding details to your graphics because you can recycle them- isn´t that the same you did in 3dsmax, recycling objects- but instead you rendered many of the same objects into 1 image- try to reduce this.

My suggestions:
    1.) decide on a grid you feel comfortable with (even if you want to use something like *super tiles* its better to 1st design most of the things around this grid to get a feel of the objects needed/ parts sizes. (exmaple sizes 32˛, 48˛,...)
    2.) stay away from masks- just clip it outside of the flash movie- if you are not familar yet with those concepts read one of those dozen tuts explaining that.
    3.) if you have just 1 layer that scrolls (aka- no depth fake effects) put all the tiles later in 1 movieclip wich you scroll then
    4.) make some concepts,- PS concept images, drawings,... something that will help you find out how it could look like,- what you need to watch out for,. ect.... rather then just talking

since i have never done such a thing i figured asking first would be a good start.

so what you are saying renderhjs is that I should layout the entire city in max then export each section seperatley, convert thos to movie clips and use them like tiles?

would bringing them into photoshop first and adding more detail increase the file sizes?
    and what about using the break apart feature in flash? does that effect performance? i tend to use it alot.

as to laying out the grid and drawing up a layout, I just plan to use google map feature and recrete the city of st.louis.

also if you don't mind could you eleborate on your post. maybie explain it better. I see what your getting at but don't really get it.
    Last edited by everfornever; 10-02-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Student
    would you mind first caring about this
    make some concepts,- PS concept images, drawings,... something that will help you find out how it could look like,- what you need to watch out for,. ect.... rather then just talking
    just work a little bit out what you want (content, gameplay, style,...[not code wise,- just about the game itself]) before that its just useless suggesting on things.
    That way I/others can point you out what to watch out for (technical), what would make sence and what not....
    conept could be something like this:

or

or like

show us of what you have in mind,- like how detailed you could imagine a city could look like, what the possibilities are (bumping on objects for example). What is the goal,- how can you entertain/ surprise the player again and again,....

sounds good, i will make up a square block and throw down everything in short about the idea of the game. and what the goal is.

thanks for your posts