A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Ever Check Your Bank Statements?

Do You Ever Check Your Bank Statements?

Well, I do. And at least once a week. Guess what I found this morning?

A charge from AMERICAN DISCOUNT WEB HOSTING, who I moved from a year ago. $99.50.

What I want to know is, WTF are they doing with my credit card information still in their database?

Anybody got advise?

...firebomb?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

I just wonder how many other bogus charges are going out to people who don't check their statements closely. I'm pretty pissed right now.

Worse, their 800 # goes to an answering machine.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    call your credit card company and get your CC number changed.

Naaa, I got too many other auto payment things going to do that. I'd have to contact them and update all of them. And I shouldn't have to. I mean, the whole idea of using a credit card is convenience.

i check my bank accounts a few times a day.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I check all of my accounts online daily. Haven't had anything strange show up as of yet but when it does I will know. I'd send them an e-mail if you can't call them and make some pretty serious threats. That has worked for me with every company i've tried it on except T-Mobile.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Yeah, I sent them a mail demanding an instant refund. But it's only been an hour. When I had hosting with them, I was able to call and get through fine, now, it's just an answering machine and leave a message.

It just bothers me no end that my data and card number and security number is still in their database. I thought that was illegal.

Call your CC company and refuse payment.

Threaten to close the CC and have your company work with you to get it worked out AND have better benefits. I just closed my Captial One card(total crap) it had a annual fee and the works in hidden fee's. When I called to cancel they said they would wave my annual fee etc. I still cancelled it. I just got my final notice in the mail to make it official and they are STILL trying to get me back by waving the annual fee AND dropped the APR to less then half of what it was when I cancelled...tempting...but no
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Too late. Apparently they did it last Friday. And it's a Debit card, which is worse. Real money.

If I don't hear back from them by tonight, I'll be at my bank tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    Too late. Apparently they did it last Friday. And it's a Debit card, which is worse. Real money.

If I don't hear back from them by tonight, I'll be at my bank tomorrow.
    I'm telling you man...

...firebomb.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

I'm looking for a box now.

I recently found £400 was missing from my account... lucky because I never normally check these things... I'd forgotten I bought a PVR and some flights for my missus Was worried for a minute though!

Your bank should be able to take care of this for you. Was it a revolving charge? If so, you might have a harder time than if this was someone illegally using your card for a random purchase online. If so, your case will be helped if you have some kind of proof that you canceled the service.

FYI, I never use debit cards for online purchases, only credit cards. Reason being is that 99% of the time the CC company will side with you in any dispute. The interest they charge to consumers is much more than they charge to businesses to accept their cards so they are usually on your side.

No, it wasn't a revolving charge in the true sense. I paid for a year of hosting with it, then I had to move my hosting cause they never could get their php server to allow my php forms to work. I switched to godaddy and cancelled the hosting by calling them up the same day I transferred the NS numbers over. That was almost a year ago. I don't have an email record of it, but I assume, since they can't prove I have any domains hosted with them, and I can prove all my domains are hosted at godaddy for the last year, that they will lose any fight.

In the mean time, I haven't heard back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    FYI, I never use debit cards for online purchases, only credit cards. Reason being is that 99% of the time the CC company will side with you in any dispute. The interest they charge to consumers is much more than they charge to businesses to accept their cards so they are usually on your side.
    It's true and came quite useful recently. My brother had ordered a guitar from an online store, but they went bust. MasterCard refunded the money to us. Not a chance of seeing the money again if we'd paid with debit.

I just called the bank. Told them what happened. They gave me a number to call to lodge a dispute. And cancelled that card. Unfortunatley, they couldn't tell me what the chances were of recovering the money in a dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Threaten to close the CC and have your company work with you to get it worked out AND have better benefits. I just closed my Captial One card(total crap) it had a annual fee and the works in hidden fee's. When I called to cancel they said they would wave my annual fee etc. I still cancelled it. I just got my final notice in the mail to make it official and they are STILL trying to get me back by waving the annual fee AND dropped the APR to less then half of what it was when I cancelled...tempting...but no

speaking of capitol one, I got this offer today

26% interest, 79 annual fee, 50 one time fee, 150 administrative fee. Then it said, after all fees your credit limit could be as low as 100, but after making payments over time will increase your limit!!!

I was like WTF
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

I had a similar incident with a crappy dial up provider. (and debit card) however the results were entirely different.

They refused to accept my cancelation (kind of like the aol youtube thing)
    Then two months afterwards they started charging me again....

I took it up with my bank and forewareded the emails of cancellation.
    they resolved the issue that day. The money was refunded on the next business day.

Yesterday I noticed my atm card was missing. I contacted my band by phone
    We went thru the last transactions. (no body had used it since it went missing)
    They cancelled it for me immediately (it was 9pm when I reported it) They issued a new one still to be delivered and issued me a temporary card this morning.

It took very little time to cancel the card and I got the new temp card in 15 minutes today at a local branch.

Usually when you cancel atm cards everybody is pretty forgiving so long as you update your information within a reasonable amount of time.
    If you have revolving charges and you don't update your account they will send you an email or two as well in some cases letters about the matter.