dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Product Questions

Product Questions

I am looking for software to easily integrate 3D models into Flash. I found this product and I have a few questions about it.

I was looking at Swift3D before this (3D Flash Animator) and I was wondering if anybody here could tell me the main differences.

Is there a website I could go to to view examples from 3D Flash Animator? I know there are samples on the official website for 3DFA, but they don't work for me for some reason (I've tried on multiple computers), which leads me to another question: do users need to download a program in order for the project to display? (for example, in order to view Flash websites, users need the Flash Player).

Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the ones that are more important to me right now.

3d in flash has been quite limited but it seems that with flash9 (AS3) it is possible to do something and at least 3dfa is building up to that. At the moment you can display flat or smooth shaded 3d objects and it seem that textures are coming too. Earlier 3dfa versions made 3d to 2d (basicly prebaked animations) but now it is possible to control 3d elements in realtime in 3d.
    I'm not sure how swift3d works, it seem that it is mainly 3d editor that produces flash 2d vector or raster output, but no actual 3d interaction.

About 3dfa.com online samples... hmm... it seems many of them just wont work.. odd.. But if you download latest 3dfa version there is many more samples there. 3dfa software is evolving to Actionscript3 & flash9, so some things may be "work in process" but I have good feeling about things to come.

If you are interested, there are many samples spread in this form, some of them you can find in my samples thread ( not much 3d as they were made in earlier 3dfa version)

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=717509

Thank you for the reply. In 3DFA, do you create 3D models via ActionScript or a 3D editor? Thanks.

With external 3d modeling software that exports obj or 3ds formats (Like free Blender3d ) and importing them to 3dfa (element 3d model) or by using 3dfa javascript (element 3d script), or inside 3dfa by turning 2d vectors to 3d (3d text or 3d shape)

3d object creation with script looks like this:
    Code:
    Cube (10);

function Cube (size)
    {
    	addVertex (-size, -size, -size);
    	addVertex (size, -size, -size);
    	addVertex (size, size, -size);
    	addVertex (-size, size, -size);
    	addPolygon (1);
    	nextLine ();
    	addVertex (-size, -size, size, 1);