A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: client wants users to be able to upload pictures?

client wants users to be able to upload pictures?

Hi fellow flashers,

I hope im posting in the right place.

Im doing a site for a new indie band. They want their fans to be able to upload pictures ? Any idea on how this would be best acheived?

its going to be in a ' fans section ' of the site.

they said they would even be cool with receiving an email from the site with fans images as an attachment , but how can I keep this within the site interface i.e. how can I have a form that enables the user to attach a picture which later gets emailed to the bands inbox, for them to then update a fanspage.xml file with the new images.

I hope that makes sense....

would appreciate some advice on this?

thanks in advance,

suzi

Just Loitering
    how do you currently send emails from online forms and what server side scripting do you have available to you?

thanks for the reply baileys,

I create forms using flash / php. I also use xml with flash.

But not sure what I would need to do to enable this fans page feature?

any idea?

as I said previously, the band would be happy with:

the user is on the site and goes to the fans page, where he/she gets a form to fill in with an attach image. This then gets emailed to the bands inbox , where they would later amend the fanspage.xml file with the new image.

thanks in advance

suzi x

Just Loitering
    well for the emailing part you need to allow the form to upload a file which in html is done adding an enctype="multipart/form-data" attribute to the form tag. Not sure how it works in flash but I'd assume something similar.

Then for the emailing part you've got two choices. One is to use the advanced PHP mailer which is explained on Sitepoint at http://www.sitepoint.com/article/advanced-email-php

alternatively you can use a PHP function - move_uploaded_file() to grab the file and then use the class PHP Mailer to email the attachment - http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

Both of these work however I find the PHP Mailer is easier to use and I've recently found the odd problem with the Sitepoint method.