dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with RPG!!!

Help with RPG!!!

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. I have made several rpgs before, but none as big as this one. I have already started on the test engine, and I have posted it with this post for further reference.

I am planning on making an rpg, with the same idea as zelda, but different storyline, characters etc etc....

There are a few things I want to know about:

1) Inventory System - Links to tutorials or info would be great. Basically you can choose what you want like for example, when you get the bow and arrow and boomerang, you can choose between them, and then pressing the action button will execute the one that is selected.

2) Code for doing it so that while your are swinging your sword, and ONLY the sword is touching the enemy, does his health go down.

3) And, using the same variables between different swfs, as well as attaching them.....

Thanks for anyone who replies,
    The RPGN000000B

how experianced are you at flash actionscript?
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Welcome to FK

You may want to have a quick glance at the Read Me guide sticky mate. The world and his dog ( And his dog's mate ) post here that they're making an RPG and we're all pretty numb to it now, so give yourself a head start and read that short guide so you can target your questions a bit better so we can get down to helping you.

Squize.

Sorry, I have no links, but let me give You an advice.
    Looks like You have very little expirience on big project.

1)
    Keep the user interface separate from data. So "inventory system" can actually be one simple for-loop.

So make a plan what different weapons could You have. How much damage would they make etc.
    Use Excel to see what kind of different variables they would need.
    Then You should make an Array of Weapons (Yep, try to plan them reaallllly good, it is far more simplier to make Arrays once, rather than modifying them once in fifteen minutes).

I think it is much more simplier to reference to an item with single number/string than make a whole buch of variables.
    player.weapon = 32;
    player.inventory = array({itemId:32, amount:1},{{itemId:5, amount:6}});
    itemList.item[32] = {name:"Short Sword", isWeapon:true, foo:"bar"};
    itemList.item[5] = {name:"Wooden Dagger", isWeapon:true, foo:"bar"};
    etc.

Try to plan the "map" and "world". What kind of map would be easiest for you. I recomend TonyPa's tilebased tutorials for them.

2)
    Use mathematical calculations like circle-to-circle-collisions, box-to-box-collisions, point-to-box-collisions, or maybe if you like to take a shortcut use flash's hitTest-function.

3)
    Use normal movie.movieClip.foo.bar.variable[32] = _root.movie2._parent.this.that.variable; ...
    ...but Do You need several swf-files?

Noob, you forgot to include a link like you said you would do.

crossconscious
    I am planning on making an rpg, with the same idea as zelda
    Well, you are an rpg noob so I'll forgive you, but zelda is not an rpg

Quote Originally Posted by rpgnoooooob
    There are a few things I want to know about:
    ok let's start...

1) Inventory System
    search FK game forum. You'll find a lot of threads on this stuff and on one of them i even made some sample with the source code how to implement base ideas to make inventory ala Diablo.[/QUOTE]

2) Code for doing it so that while your are swinging your sword, and ONLY the sword is touching the enemy, does his health go down.
    It can be made using the hittest and time counter. For example you have two events you check on hit test: when sword start touch your enemy and when he stops doing it. Just getTime in the beginning of event and in the end of it. Than calculate the difference and make your decision on how much point you need to remove from the health of the enemy.

3) And, using the same variables between different swfs, as well as attaching them.....
    just hold them in some global name space

...and the last advice - try to search internet to find answers - may be you'll find a complete solution created by someone else. Then try to search forum - may be your question was posted before and someone got answer on it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by The Helmsman; 08-25-2006 at 05:24 AM.

crossconscious
    Quote Originally Posted by The Helmsman
    just hold them in some global name space
    Or encapsulate everything using OO, so that your objects only have access to what they need access to. Much cleaner IMHO.

What RPGs have you made? Any links?

Being as you cant do the RPG basics in Flash im guessing you are new to AS which means you must've used RPG Maker or something similar on your previous projects.

Anyway ill give some advice. Dont over reach and go for an isometric game like Diablo, make it top down.

Oh and it might be an idea to write the story first and as you write that work on learning the coding side.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Sorry I said I would post a link to my rpg, it just sucks so bad and nothing works, it would waste your guys time....

I am a noob to advanced actionscript, but not basic actionscript.

I'll go in order:

how experianced are you at flash actionscript?
    I know basic actionscript, but nothing like OOP or advanced actionscript.

I think it is much more simplier to reference to an item with single number/string than make a whole buch of variables.
    player.weapon = 32;
    player.inventory = array({itemId:32, amount:1},{{itemId:5, amount:6}});
    itemList.item[32] = {name:"Short Sword", isWeapon:true, foo:"bar"};
    itemList.item[5] = {name:"Wooden Dagger", isWeapon:true, foo:"bar"};
    etc.
    Sorry, but I don't know what this means. Is this all creating new variables and arrays, or advanced OOP. Can you please tell me what this means, as I can reserach into this subject.

It can be made using the hittest and time counter. For example you have two events you check on hit test: when sword start touch your enemy and when he stops doing it. Just getTime in the beginning of event and in the end of it. Than calculate the difference and make your decision on how much point you need to remove from the health of the enemy.
    Sorry, I don't understand what subtracting the difference will do here. Also, will math collisions help me detecting when the sword is touching the enemy?

Cause I have a copy of Games Demystified, and that has some math collisions.

Thanks
    therpgnoooooooob

but zelda is not an rpg
    Wow, i never actualy realised its not an RPG, more of an adventure game... Now diablo is an RPG . Why dont we have noobs wanting to make a dungeon styled RPG, now one of those would be kewl....

I think pokemon is more of an RPG than Zelda.... Hehe, that would be sad is we had noobs wanting to make pokemon. I think im going to go stand in the corner and laugh.
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!