A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D80 vs. Canon EOS 400D vs. Canon EOS 30D

Mister

Nikon D80 vs. Canon EOS 400D vs. Canon EOS 30D

Which one is best? I know that Nikon is bigger than 400D but how about 30D...lighter 400D has its benefits when carrying it around but the grip is not as good as in those others... thinking buying one for fun - as beginner getting into Photography... which one you would take?

Not sure if this right forum for this thread but there seems to be many Photography experts around....

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    It's been "discussed" here many time, Nikon vs. Canon.....blah, blah, blah... I guess I'll say it again: It's all about feel, how the camera feels in your hands. For me, Canon was love at first tactile feel.....for frex, phil-ray and a few others they like the Nikons.

Once you decide which manufacturer's setup you like then you need to take a look at the features you will need/want. Do you need all of the features in a 30D? Or, will you even use them? The 400D, while being a 10.1 Mp camera has a smaller CMOS Sensor than the 30D (at a respectable 8.2 Mp) which only means that you will have similar picture quality with larger filesizes.....not a benefit IMO though.

I suggest doing some research and then testing out your shoe leather to get up close and personal with the different camera bodies and then, after you have had enough time to play with them, make your decision.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich
    for frex, phil-ray and a few others they like the Nikons.
    you forgot about me

I want a 30D next. I got the D30 and love the feel. Remember, the bigger models are more than just a camera. At more than 2 pounds with a lens, they are weapon.

I don't think the canon 30d is really in the same market as the other two cameras. It has a much better build and the image quality, despite improvements in the two new cameras, is likely to be superior.

The D80 and 400d are similar, the Nikon is a bit more expensive and lacks features like the anti-dust system on the Canon, but it has a superior build and many people prefer the 'feel' of the Nikoin.

In the end there's no best camera out of these three, it's totally subjective. All three are capable of producing beautiful images, both companies have impressive and established lens line ups, and should be very reliable. You have to make your own mind up which one is best for you and I don't think there's a better way to do that than going down to the camera shop and trying them out.

I would rather have a camera that feels right to me than one that doesn't but has sightly better image quality. I would get a lot more use out of it and take better pictures.

The only practical advice I can think of giving is not to buy a 30d if you can wait six months. Canon have a disjointed line up right now, even though I believe the 30d is a better camera than the 400d what consumers look at are the features like anti-dust vibration and megapixels. Canon will likely correct its range in the new future, perhaps the new year, so the 30d is on a par with the 400d feature-wise. The 400d was pushed out to cross swords with the Sony A1 and D80. Expect the anti-dust system, a new sensor and perhaps a hike in price in a '35d' soon.

I think I'd like that anti-dust thing, but not enough to go with a smaller camera. And I can't afford the 1A or whatever it is now.

Mister
    Whats the thing with the whole feel thing... Are you guys sleeping with your Cameras

I have made a reseach for half year now and still cannot make up my mind... At the moment I am slightly on Canons side... dust thing and supposed to be easier interface... but again that whole feel it - touch it debate mixes up my head

Yes I have tried out both quickly in the shop but really cannot see that big difference - specially when I am only buying to be used only occasionally as hobby. I would understand the touch and feel thing if I would have to use it daily hours and hours... but for random shooting It hard to believe that that small size difference between these two D80 - 400D does really make that big difference that people continue to foam about.

Even as big handed I love my Ixus I / which is the tiny as hell....

Hmmm.. did I just justify the battle towards 400D

It's a feely thing, not a talky thing. You can't describe it really. It's the difference between a crackerjacks plastic toy car and a nice cast model with working steering wheel.

Mister
    Hmm.... r u sure that the difference is really that drastic...

It is to me. Maybe it's psychological, I just don't like paying that much for plastic.

Canon have a disjointed line up right now, even though I believe the 30d is a better camera than the 400d what consumers look at are the features like anti-dust vibration and megapixels.
    I totally agree with this. The 400 isnt much of an upgrade from the 350d so not really worth it. im hoping the 400d causes a drop in the price of the 30D so i can pick one up cheaper.

30D has spot metering, metal case, larger grip and faster FPS.
    slammin

Mister
    So 30D is the one that I should go for... hmm... its getting over my pain limit...mean budget... how about 20D... is it much different?

There is nothing wrong with buying a used camera. You can buy a D30 or D60 now for one tenth of the original cost and still use all the lenses you might buy for it on the 30D, when the prices come down.

D60's are so cheap on ebay right now. What IS your budget? I just picked up a used 20D from B&H for $829 and then added a 50mm lense and a bunch of other "needed" things and got it up to around $1150 total and I am loving it all.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Here's a D-60 for $400.

Mister
    D60 sounds like something from Stone age... that link to review was 2002... isnt that a bit too long time... to buy 5year old technology....? Sorry can be totally wrong about this... what says the gurus?

My pain limit is 700-800 GBp... British pounds... 30D goes just over that...might find one used...

What you think about all around lense... I am looking into buying only one to play with now in the begining...read somewhere that 17-135mm Sigma...lence would be good allarounder...what you recon?

A camera that came out just 4 years ago is the stone age? A 6.3mp camera is still a damn good camera, especially a Canon. The D-60 goes for about $400 or less, the D30 is only 8.2mp and goes for $1000 or more, and you won't find one used. For that extra $600, you can buy some nice glass.

But you decide what you want. I'm just saying there are some used camera's around that are fine deals for a lot less than new.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    ...the D30 is only 8.2mp and goes for $1000 or more...
    30D

Ah, good catch.

Easy to do.....I'm just waiting for someone to stroll in here and say that they just got a killer deal on eBay for a brand new D-30 thinking they were getting Canon's new 30D