A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D80 vs. Canon EOS 400D vs. Canon EOS 30D

Tell me about it. Search Google for the D30 and see how many times they list the 30D.

And oh, BTW, that link to the D60 for $400. You can forget it. It's already been sold.

I bought it last night.

I do have a D30 that will go on the block about next Friday though.

Did you really buy it?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yup. the D30 is fine for anything above Macro, but it just doesn't have the resolution I want for closeup.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    You're like that dude with the huge paperclip that kept trading it up until he got a house. Soon you'll be trading up to a 1Ds Mark II.

LOL, I read about that. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting rid of the D30 for what I paid for it.

Might even give it to my brother. Or just keep it for a spare. It's not a bad camera. I just want to see if I can get better resolution with twice the megapixels. Thats the way it works isn't it? I'm not even sure anymore.

You should see better results.....BUT, the size DOES matter when you are talking about CMOS sensors the 400D is a 10 Mpx camera.....but the sensor is smaller than the 30D at 8Mpx making the two equal, or there abouts.

So the D30 and the D60 use the same physical size CMOS sensor, but the D60 has twice the pixels. I should see some real improvement.

I noticed with that Kodak, at 8.1mp was just not that much clearer than this D30. I shot the Kodak at 7.1 most of the time though.

Mister
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    A camera that came out just 4 years ago is the stone age? A 6.3mp camera is still a damn good camera, especially a Canon.
    Not saying that is stone age but with these new technologies 4-5 years is looong time...e.g. Would not buy LCD that is 4year old tech....

Dont know how much the technology have gone forward in picture quality of digital cameras, etc... in 4-5 years...cant be just standing still.... so just throwing in toughts...

Well, let's put it this way, the D30 with only 3.1mp is a little out of date, but still a good camera. The D60 is 6.3mp, and hey, they are still making cameras today with that or less. I mean, new cameras, not 3 or 4 years old.

I'm guessing that 99% of all digital images taken will never make it further than an 800x600 size on a LCD flat monitor. It just seems like the chase for endless amounts of megapixels in a sensor is kind of bizarre.

I could be wrong.

try printing a poster with a 3.1Mpx image.....you'll be crying the entire time.

Poster? Who prints posters?

For that matter, who makes prints at all anymore? I think the only reason I got back into photography was because of digital and no need for developing or prints.

I make prints of all my good shots.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I'm not very well versed on printing images. And I just have not seen any good ones come out of any printer I can afford. I'm just not into buying expensive ink by the bucketfull. I guess if you don't have a computer, your never going to see anything I shoot.

I have like 5000x more images on my computer then printed but I still like a good print. And I have a good printing/image processing place in the next town over(15 minutes) So I get my stuff done from there and they have an online service so I can upload my images and just drive in and by the time I get there they are done.

Do prints from digital look as good as from film?

My Lustre 4x6 prints with borders look AMAZING. Even if I could tell the difference the quality is so high I don't even care.

Mister
    I Gotta after looong loong think that brand new Nikon D80.. It simply looked and felt so much better than those tiny Canons (350,400)... also the default lense 18/135mm looked so much better than the default lenses in Canons...and Nikon D50... Next step is then to learn to take nice pictures with it

You were right about the whole "feel" thing... when had the Canons and Nikon aside the Difference is really drastic...Those Canons just looked so toy next to Nikon... and Canon 30D simply was too expensive and felt clumbsy - maybe a bit too Pro - too big...and just over my budget.

Cheers guys for tips and advice.... will surely nag you on my newbie questions very soon...
    Last edited by FreeStyleR75; 09-18-2006 at 08:06 AM.

I was in a Rtiz camera yesturday and asked to see a 30D. That screen is HUGE on the back! Other then that physically it didn't seem too much different then the 20D. Mine seemed a lot bigger and heavier but that is just the vertical grip and 2 batteries inside

Glad you found what you were looking for. Now go take some photos and post them!!

Really, enough bushway about cameras. I want to see some pics. I don't care if they are of someones old grammaw, more pics, less talk.