A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bachelor?

one apple a day

bachelor?

as some of you might know, i'm from austria and more and more universities in austria are now taking on the bachelor/master degrees instead of our old ones. i have some questions i couldn't get resolved with google...

what is an "undergraduate" degree? is this any better or worse than any other degree? sorry, couldn't get a useful translation into german...

what is an honours, like BA (honours) degree? how will this compare to a normal (not honours) BA?

i know that you guys and your industries don't really care much about a degree, but in austria it's still a big deal, in fact most people introduce themselves with their name AND TITLE (degree)...

Undergraduate degrees are what you get first straight out of high school (BA, BS). They usually take 4 years. After that comes a Masters degree and PhD. Those are graduate degrees because you have already graduated and earned a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    Undergraduate degrees are what you get first straight out of high school (BA, BS).
    You mean college, no?

You're in Austria? Always wanted to go to Vienna. Any tips for getting tix to the New Year's concert there?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

You go to college to get an undergraduate degree once you are out of high school

Read you wrong, your wording made it sound like you get an undergrad degree from HS.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

one apple a day
    you need some luck to get tickets: http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/i...oncert_tickets

It goes... Junior School, Secondary School, Sixth Form (optional most people go straight to college), College, Undergraduate Degree, Masters Degree, King of the world...

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Colleges here are the dirty cousins of universities. Colleges will take anyone with a pulse and tuition fees while universities can and will deny you admittance if you have crappy grades regardless of whether you can pay or not. A few universities have garnered bad reputations for low admittance standards, but they are generally more strict than colleges. A college degree generally takes much less time to get than a university degree and is less desirable than a univeristy degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Northcode
    A college degree generally takes much less time to get than a university degree and is less desirable than a univeristy degree.
    you're full of complete bull crap. University degrees and college degrees are exactly the same, except the names of the schools have different 'standards'.

University's have higher price tags with the same education you can get at a college. It's a shame you think this way northcode.

I was taking Harvard courses at my so called COLLEGE with LESS tuition and have had been in more scholastic clubs that you can't even count that add to my education. So go put a crooked broomstick up your arse.

and you're in CANADA northcode?!?!?!?!?!?! What are you learning? How to make canadian bacon, learning french and how to catch salmon with your bear hands?????

with sharte comments like that, i'm starting to believe those who say degrees don't matter.

Easy lefteye.

A Junior college by definition only has 2 degrees.
    A College has 4 year degrees
    A University has post graduate studies as well.

A Univerisity
    A university is an institution of higher education and of research, which grants academic degrees at all levels (bachelor, master, and doctor) in a variety of subjects. A university provides both tertiary and quaternary education. University is derived from the Latin universitas, meaning corporation (since the first medieval European universities were simply groups of scholars).
    http://www.answers.com/topic/university

A College
    1. An institution of higher learning that grants the bachelor's degree in liberal arts or science or both.
    2. An undergraduate division or school of a university offering courses and granting degrees in a particular field.
    http://www.answers.com/college

The type of degree offered has nothing to do with it. For example here in D.C., the National War College only offers graduate (masters) degrees. That college is one of several schools within the National Defense University.

Here in the US...a university is just an educational institution made of of several colleges.

For example, Syracuse University has the College of Arts and Sciences, The Newhouse Communications, the College of Public Affairs...etc..all colleges.

Universitys are thus generally larger, but it has nothing to do with the type of education offered or type of degrees. You can get graduate degrees at "colleges" just as you can at "universities".

Another example...Boston College vs. Boston University. BU is just a holding company for several colleges. BU isn't better because it's a University, in fact BC has the better education and is harder to get into. You can also get graduate degrees at Boston College.
    Last edited by Visionray; 09-10-2006 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    you're full of complete bull crap. University degrees and college degrees are exactly the same, except the names of the schools have different 'standards'.

University's have higher price tags with the same education you can get at a college. It's a shame you think this way northcode.

with sharte comments like that, i'm starting to believe those who say degrees don't matter.
    Hahahaha have to agree! Universities and colleges are different entities. Colleges are the stepping stone to university, there are other options available, but if you screw around at college, you're not going to university.

American view(s) of college and university are basically the same; but it's not. College elsewhere in the world is seen more like "Junior College" in the US. University is the step above junior college.

It just comes from US having university and colleges offer the same types of degrees and blurring that line, meanwhile community colleges/junior colleges offering associates mostly... which is a step below a bachelors, and above a bachelors, a masters.

It took trips overseas for me to see the difference. Here in the US, I can say "I went to college" meanwhile I went to a proper university actually. But elsewhere, I have to specify I went "to university"... minor differences.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

i think things vary greatly dependent on country, so i don't know how it works in Austria, but in the UK it is as follows-
    A degree may be awarded with or without honours. Nowadays, nearly all candidates sit for honours; an ordinary (or pass) degree (i.e. a degree without honours) is usually awarded to a candidate who marginally fails the honours examination, or significant parts of it. A candidate who fails badly is usually allowed to retake the examination for a pass degree but most universities will not award such a student honours.

Most universities award a class of degree based on the average mark of the assessed work a candidate has completed. Below is a list of the possible classifications with common abbreviations. Honours degrees are in bold:

* First-class Honours (1st)
    * Upper Second-class Honours (2:1)
    * Lower Second-class Honours (2:2)
    * Third-class Honours (3rd)
    * Ordinary degree (Pass)
    * Fail (no degree is awarded)
    so practically all degree courses are with honours.

as mentioned, an undergraduate degree is the first degree people take in higher education (ie. after you've taken your Alevels/ International Baccalaureate/ European Baccalaureate). In the UK the majority of undergraduate courses are three years long (some are longer- such as medicine or a course which involves spending a year abroad).

after you've completed an undergraduate degree you can go on to take postgraduate qualifications (usually a year or two of extra study), but yeah in the first instance it will always be at undergraduate level.

i don't know if bachellor of arts (BA) honours degrees are better than the old austrian degrees, but i from what you've said it sounds like they might be replacing hte old austrian degrees with the BA honours degrees, so it might be best to do the more up to date qualification- would be best to find out what is most desiered from employers in austria (or wherever you want to work) though before making a decision.