A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can U Access OldSchool actionscript on MX 04?

Vinbasshred

Can U Access OldSchool actionscript on MX 04?

It use to be a lot easier to do basic functions, now it's like they changed it and I don't want to learn flash's new language just to get a start and stop button. I just want to add navigation and I can't figure it out the way it's all set up now. PLEASE HELP ME!

It's not the version your using, it's all about the flashplayer. Seems like the newest flashplayers don't like old tellTarget code. Use dot syntax now, it's way easier.

Vinbasshred

Why did flash turn gay?

dot syntax? what is that and how would I use it? Sounds again like I have to learn some new code. I use to be able to put a "on mouse click(play)(Scene1,frame1)" or something like that and it would work, now it does nothing. If you, OR ANYONE!, know the code to have a start button and a replay at the end please tell me. I really need this function and I can't fighure it out, and it's so basic, it pisses me off, I use to be able to do it before this MX 2004!!!!!

When you use scenes, use frame labels. If you want to go to scene 2, frame 1, put a frame label there and name it scn2fr1. Then the button would look like this;

on(release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay("scn2fr1");
    }

Button to start a timeline;

on(release){
    _root.play();
    }

Or to go back to 1 and play;

on(release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay(1);
    }

Vinbasshred
    okay, I'll try that. Flash use to generate those codes for you. You use to be able to find it under movie controls (I believe) in the actions and it would lay it all out like you just did. You know what I'm talkin about? Anyways, thanks a lot, I will try it here in a bit.

Hmmm, I think MX04 did away with the normal action panel mode, but it came back in F8. All 04 gives you is Expert mode.

Still, there is a little library sort of thing on the left side of Actions that has a complete list of all available actions which you can double click or drag to the actions panel.