A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Inport/break apart or Create in flash?

[RESOLVED] Inport/break apart or Create in flash?

I am currently working on animations and characters for a 2 player fighting game and I am wondering about if it is better to draw everything and inport as jpg then break apart to elimate background, or if it is better to just draw everything in flash itself?

I have found in the past it seems things Ive drawn in flash run slower then things I have inported, but just wondering what everyone thinks or how they do it.

here is the first character sketch I have and started converting within flash itself.

www.truimagz.com\fiona.htm

It's a lil big but it's so you can see what I'm trying to make is not a 10 px smudge, I'm going for high detail

Depending on your needs, import it as either a gif or a png, that way you don't have background transparency issues ( Which you do with a jpeg ).

Squize.

I've always found, if you need to cut away background, it's easily enough done in Photoshop with Actions.
    Get all the frames you're gonna use, find the one that has the biggest width and height.
    Why choose the one with the biggest height/width? Because, in that way you guarantee that every frame or at least -set of animations-, is centered for easy alignment later on. What 95% of people new to games do is to crop around every single image, only to find that at a later date they have to very carefully juxtapose all the images on top of each-other. Takes forever.

Start recording your action, crop around the image (there's an AutoCrop plug-in somewhere), save, stop action. Then Batch edit all the other files using the Action you just made. It's probably quicker than going with breaking apart and editing every single jpg/gif/png in the swf.

gotcha, so drawing in flash is bad? this is what I figured cuz it actually records the vectors eh? this puts hella load down if ya get to many. I'm working ym drawings out in xara x1.

thanks guys for the info

About the only good-looking vector games I know are Dad 'n' Me and Alien Hominid. I think a rule of the thumb is ONLY use vectors if you're designed a puzzle game, or something cartoony.

Okay I've got my fire-proof jacket on!!

hehe thanks

Actually, you could just cache it as a bitmap. Then Flash would convert the vector drawing to a bitmap in the exported movie.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

cacheAsBitmap in real time animated frames with complex vectors? Be my Quest! It actually takes longer than just play them without caching. Best way to do this is make them bitmaps and import them to flash. This way they'll act merely like vectorised box.