A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Text rollover effect like this site

Text rollover effect like this site

Hello to all your flash gurus:

Please forgive me if this has been asked but I am new to flash and I am trying very hard to learn how to do this myself instead of using programs that can do it for you. Call me crazy, but I like to know how something works myself and take pride in knowing I did it myself

I am trying to spruce up a site using flash. I would like to add mouse rollover effect like I have done with CSS in the past but I am having problems creating a smooth rollover effect. I am not using graphics just text that I would like to change colors when the mouse is over but what is happening that it flickers instead of staying in the "over" state with the changed color.
    I have been working for 3 days trying to master this. I have no problem if I use a shape with text on it. It works beautifully as button. But this is not a graphical button, just text link.

I would like the mouse effect to be like it is used in this site:
    http://www.flash-applets.com/tutorial/index.html

Is this possible with Flash? I am using Flash 8. As I am so new to Flash I am not sure what the technical category for this would be under, text effects, animations, etc. If you could point me in the right direction of newbie friendly tutorial here I would be very grateful. :}

Thank you, thank you, for any assistance. Have a wonderful evening!

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Have you put a hit state in your button?
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

flashguy
    Wouldnt be an OVER state?
    Visit my business at http://www.ballooncreator.com - Software Tool For Party Balloons Online Design!

Text rollover effect like here on Flash Kit site

Quote Originally Posted by yanmoura
    Wouldnt be an OVER state?
    Well I have both over and hit state active so I am really confused how something so simple has turned into a major headache. *sighs*

I am thinking maybe if someone would look at the file I have attached and see where I am going at it wrong, I would apprecitate it.

Thanks alot!
    Attached Files Attached Files

You'd put the link to the radio station on the text symbol. I've replaced it with code on the button itself. Good luck.

text rollover effect like this site

Quote Originally Posted by bigginge
    You'd put the link to the radio station on the text symbol. I've replaced it with code on the button itself. Good luck.
    Thank you very much bigginge!!! I knew I was not seeing something right. Simple but major frustrating when learning.

One more question...Would you point me in the write direction or links where beginner could learn Action scripts in a "gentle" terminology so to speak. LOL
    I really can see the benefits of using action scripts and would like to slowly learn my way through this.

Thank you once again. Have a wonderful Friday!

Good idea to have a look here. Have a good weekend.