A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX04] scaling JPEG's with a tween - looks bad!

[MX04] scaling JPEG's with a tween - looks bad!

hi guys -
    I did a search of the archives but can't seem to come across the answer to this question. I'm sure it is very simple and hopefully just requires a short response.

So I've got these JPEGS of photographs and I just want to have them scaling up. So say they start at 80% and then scale to 100% over a few seconds. Normally I'd do this in After Effects, and I'm a little clunky with flash. Anyways, the picture gets a rippling, jerky sort of look as it scales. Like the anti-aliasing has gone bad? or maybe the scaling algorithm is not right? I hope someone knows what I'm talking about..... if so, can you recommend a better way to scale photos?

Thanks!

Well, I don't know much about this program but Im going for :P

When I scale a jpg over a few seconds (if I don't think wrong about what you are planing to do)... I got problems in 72 dpi, but in 150 looks pretty good (in png 24 bit format)

Hope that it helped some way!

sory about my english ¬¬ç

thanks for the reply - yeah mine are in 72dpi - so I will try 150 and let you know...

hmmm still no good. I did some more searching and found that it is Flash's resampling that is the problem. I have tried upto 150dpi, have tried it with smoothing on and off, JPEG and PNG-24....... all no good...
    surely there is a way around this.... if anyone has any further thoughts please let me know
    Thanks

Senile member! :)
    The DPI houldn't matter. AFAIK it's only valid for printouts anyway.

What I've found is that it works if the main timeline is just a single frame. However that makes the preloading of the movie a bit tricky as you need to use an external one.

/Mirandir

i'm not sure that I can put everything on one frame.... except maybe if I load it externally? or is there a way to convert everything on the main timeline ie every layer/tween etc into one MC? I've got lots of different mc's on the main layer so that would be tricky.....

here is an examply I've put online..... this one I did from After Effects and exported the .swf but it is giving exactly the same result as when I do it in Flash......

http://www.bearcage.com.au/duff/test.htm