dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] dynamic text, text fields and <a href> tags.

[F8] dynamic text, text fields and <a href> tags.

I have been trying to figure this out for a very long time. My company's web designer went MIA and left us with a Flash site that is very hard to update (and no original FLA's).I have resorted to decompiling his SWF's with pretty impressive success. Only thing I can't figure out how to do is get dynamic text displayed in a text field to accurately display funtional links. If I select the text field and click the "render text as HTML" button and export the SWF, no text appears at all. If I select use device fonts, the links work, but the text looks funny. I am using Flash 8, but saving as a flash MX 2004 document because I think that's what the designer used and... I guess I don't have a very good reason, it just seemed like the right thing to do... Also I'm exporting it as a Flash 6 movie because our web stats say that almost 10% of visitors have that installed. If it helps the code looks like this:

loadVariables("blahblahblah.txt", "_root.mcData");
    stop ();

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

If you are using true type fonts, you need to embed the fonts into the flash movie, incase other users don't have that font on thier computer. Select our dynamic text box, and in the properties panel, you will see a botton named 'embed'. Click it and select want characters you want embeded into the movie. Device fonts force the flash movie to use one of the users fonts on thier computer.

Thanks for the help, but alas that doesn't seem to work either. I still get no text. I checked and the font that is used on the page is not TTF but PFM. Is this my problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Im sorry, I don't have experience with PFM fonts. I take it, that you tied to embed the PFM font? Did you try using a trueType font and embeding it, just to see if that works for you? If you did both and it works for TTF and not PFM, then I would say that's the problem. But I don't know the solution, other than sticking to TTF fonts.