dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Flash version of something similar to ***** Hotel

Creating a Flash version of something similar to ***** Hotel

Hi guys,

I was thinking of creating something similar to "***** Hotel", but using Flash. So does anyone know what type of Flash component or software do i need to purchase?

director mx

O ur doing it in flash hmm dunno if ur younger than 20 i bet you wont make it.
    And you will proberly need a crew 2 help u

Quote Originally Posted by XareoX
    O ur doing it in flash hmm dunno if ur younger than 20 i bet you wont make it.
    And you will proberly need a crew 2 help u
    Yes,i have a team about about 4 to 5 people to do it with me and maybe more if we need more manpower. Thanks for the vote of confidence anyway.

Your Welcome =) lol Well u better know some good scripting and rendering or just adjust to 4 images of main char on each side to make it face all 4 ways. And
    Learn XML sockets and php

Having done multiplaying game programming before, i don't think scripting will present much of a problem. Now the issue is which is the right tool to use for the backend server stuff. I was looking at Flash Media Server, but it seems to be for stuff such as video streaming and not for gaming purposes.

yea.

I dont know what game your talking about can you post a link?

wait... is it that shuffle board game?
    Last edited by everfornever; 10-04-2006 at 12:16 AM.

Ever saw ***** Hotel? I have something similar in mind and am enquiring about what are the right tools to use?

no offense but if your asking "what programs should I buy" your many many years from making anything like that yourself.

Buy flash 8, learn as2 and maybie even as3 while your at it, find out about mysql, and php. Thats a good start, then check back with us around 2008.

Im not saying you couldnt learn and create what your looking too in less time than that, but if you want people to play it and it be very reliable. It's not gonna be an easy thing to do.

Make a mario game first.

we all would love to help you with that. Or anything that you need, but that game is pretty advanced on the backend.
    Last edited by everfornever; 10-04-2006 at 12:34 AM.

No offense, but i have basic Actionscript knowledge, having done a server based quiz game using Flash and MySQL for storage. My knowledge of DBs is not too shabby as i'm the DBA in my company. Having made multiplayer games using Java and other turn based games, i don't think i want to revert back to making Mario games. Basically, i'm more concerned about what Flash s/w to use for the server end since i will be doing it, as for the Flash client side. That is up to another guy to handle

K, I bet squizie, malee, or tonypa could answer that, see if you can IM them, I would hate to misinform you myself.

Cool, thanks a lot for the recommendations

i think there is a program called server side or something and something else on goandplay.com

You could write your own socket server, but it is usually not really worth the trouble as there are several servers already available:

http://www.electrotank.com/ElectroServer/
    http://www.moock.org/unity/
    http://www.smartfoxserver.com/

Of course none of them is free for large scale project.

What about Flash Communication Server(aka Flash Media Server). Anyway, which do you recommend?

I recommend you try them all out. These socket servers are written for multiplayer Flash games so I am sure any of them works.

Yep, but somehow this whole thread reminds me of mmorpg thread. Actually online-rpg and interactive graphical chats techics are quite similar.

Actually the technic isn't "so hi-tech", I think the biggest problem will be moderating and updating+expanding the game world (own editors? own moderating site?). Think deeply how are you going to store the room data. If you haven't made any plans, you'll soon discover that the amount of data has so large that it is almost impossible to modify later.

There are good tutorials and examples how to create graphical chat rooms.

In ***** Hotel there are many many many Moderators (who get paid) who can instantly ban users if needed. There are also many other features, than just walk around and chat. There are many buyable stuff.

little trivia: the company who created ***** have ~8100% growth in last 5 years, not bad
    Last edited by TeroLebe; 10-05-2006 at 05:38 AM.

little trivia: the company who created ***** have ~8100% growth in last 5 years, not bad
    YOu mean thats the profit they have gone up by in 5 years... So if they were making 1000 bucks a year they would now be making 8,000,000 ???
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

i think he means growth of people joined and playing that game

For projects as big as this, you'd be looking at writing your own socket server to handle it. That's what they ended up doing for Dofus, which has similar requirements to ***** Hotel, in terms of data storage and users served.

Also, security is a big issue. Note that if something is made in Flash, it can be hacked. There are a lot of programs out there (like artmoney, for instance) which can modify variables in real-time, so even if you obfuscate the code and everything, script kiddies can change variables without Flash being any the wiser.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.