dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [OLD GAME] Meteor Busters ~escape the planet v2.0~

Hybrid View

[OLD GAME] Meteor Busters ~escape the planet v2.0~

Ok, this game is really, really old now.

I just wanted to let you know that i updated the whole dot-invasion's site, included the PixelBoy part. So far, you can interact with it thanks to the html page (you can for example load the cartridges directly from the site and not from the .swf, and also change the PixelBoy's skin).

Does it work for everyone?

Thanks!

here's the link.

It works for me. Perfect, as always ^^

Amazing work Marmotte !

Just one thing: I tried the site two times. The second time I found out that I needed to start the game by pressing 'Enter'.
    The first time I started pushing all buttons on the Pixelboy, they didn't do anything. Then I pressed a lot of keys on my keyboard, which didn't get the game started either. Finally I lost patience (after ~15 secs) and closed the site, thinking it was busted.

It may be a good thing to get the game started by allowing some other keys to be pressed (CTRL, space) ? Or tell the user to press Enter.

Marmotte, wow nice work!

It worked fine for me (using IE7 RC2).
    I would agree with Estartic, there needs to be some kind of instructions after loading the cartridge. I didn't leave the site but I was very confused for a few seconds until i figured out what the controls were.

Thanks for the comments, i'm happy to learn that the communication between the .html and the .swf is working.

And yes i totally agree with you guys, there's something wrong going on there: when i released "Meteor Busters" the PixelBoy only had 2 buttons. Now it has 4 (mainly because i was working on a more than sexy Street Fighter 2-like fighting game engine).

So far you can read the instructions of "Meteor Busters" in the "cartridges" section, it explains about the game mechanics and stuffs (including the keys actually). But yes, having the keys mentionned below the PixelBoy is also ideal (knowing that 95% of the people will click "play" and want to play in 2 seconds, that's also a reason why i was afraid to have the cartridges "outside" the console instead of having a nice little OS-like navigation like with the old PixelBoy, but apparently it works that way), and in the following days i'll probably write another .html menu where you can configure your own keys. Though i'll need to rewrite several parts of "Meteor Busters" to adapt it fully to the new PixelBoy ^^

Thanks for the feedbacks so far!

And yes, there's still a lot of room for improvments!

allilm: hehe yes, great job... i didn't upgrade the game since then anyway
    Last edited by marmotte; 10-04-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    I remember completing this game . Don't have time to play it again now, but great new look. Fantastic work.

Ali

Student
    very impressive pixel style,
    -regarding your updgrade:
    I needed several visits to the site until I understood that I had to click on that one and only available game cartridge- in order to play. And not as the main menu suggested just hitting play there. But perhaps I wouldn´t that much confused if there were multiple cartridges to choose from- anyway nice work

great look, nice concept, love the site, everything is excellent.

as far as the game goes same comments as above, just make finding out the controls easier, I clicked start on the pixe;boy for like 5 minutes, since the game takes a long time to get to the game I thought I was actually doing something right lol

Thanks for the feedbacks everybody!

I did some little changes in the layout > easier to understand how to load the cartridges (well i hope so)

now regarding the "i thought that you need to play the PixelBoy using its own buttons" (and i fully understand that situation), i just documented about how to call functions inside flash from a html page, and i found a solution (i didn't want to make the whole PixelBoy into a flash file to have smoother games, though i seem to pay the price a bit currently).
    So the next games (if there are any) will certainly use that feature (though playing a game like "Meteor Busters" while clicking on the PixelBoy's buttons should certainly be more than a nightmare, hahaha!)

the site itself looks really good.
    ...why did you spell portfolio as "portofolio" though?

oh damn, "portofolio" is what we say in french (and probably in some other languages), so i guess i wrote it that way because i'm used to write "portofolio" in many of my works. Thaks for pointing that one out ^^