dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Registry recovery

Registry recovery

I need to recover some important keys from the registry of a corrupted partition. I have the individual files, but now I need something that will allow me to load / view them individually in just such a case where it's purely recovery.

I don't see any way to do this with RegEdit (that doesn't include importing the hive.).

Any ideas? Notepad would do it, but it'd be nice to have a tree view.

I want to say that RecoverMyFiles.com's tool will do this, but you may want to check their site. The software is free to use (to see what it finds), you only have to pay when you want to actually recover it. That may be enough to let you know if it has what you want...

Recovery from a backup? Or just hoping that you have a reg backup somewhere?

I used to use JV16 PowerTools, but it's no longer freeware. I'd look around here...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

No, I pulled the real registry files from the %systemroot\system32\config folder. I need to read them as if I was running that installation of Windows had nothing happened.

Thanks for the recommendations, though. I'll look into those.

Reg keys are not always valid. Many software companies use Hardrive serial number and machine code to generate those keys.

Machine code can change with anything including partion/reformat major hardware upgrade. Trying to use an old reg key for a different config can cause installation errors.

Sorry for the confusion. Not serial keys. Registry key values (the sub folders that hold information like configuration settings / what not.). I need some configuration settings that were stored in the registry.

Actual serial / activation keys are not a problem. I keep all of them with their discs.

Registry mechanic?

I don't think that will work. Registry Mechanic looks like it just fixes the current registry. I just need a small footprint / barebones application that can read registry files. Looks like I'll just have to write my own.