dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games vs. Coffee Lounge

Games vs. Coffee Lounge

Along with a few others, I have noticed that more and more discussions are taking over the game forum. While I do like some of these discussions, I think they would be more appropriate in other forums. I know that others would agree with me.

Artlink
    I use to come everyday to FK because there was so much to learn and share and people to help.

Now I am hardly having a look at it once a week.

Think I'll move that to once a month...
    Squize
    Anyone else notice this forum is slipping into the coffee lounge ? And all the most popular threads are the ones where we all get to talk about ourselves ?
    fil_razorback
    Come on...This is a forum about flash games.
    Now I don't want this thread to start a discussion itself, but if it does, do it in the coffee lounge. I, along with others, am just tired of coming to the game forum and seeing
    [Disc]
    [Disc]
    [Disc]
    [Disc]
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its because some of the game programmers dont go on the coffie lounge like me
    so if i posted who was the best game programmer in the coffie lounge i wouldnt get as much replys.

well I personally think the odd posts are a good thing.

It means we are all becoming friends or at least social with eachother and now are interested in what eachother are doing. I think it's great, that's how forums go from forums, to communities.

I agree, all the random posts have really turned me away from FK.

Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    well I personally think the odd posts are a good thing.

It means we are all becoming friends or at least social with eachother and now are interested in what eachother are doing. I think it's great, that's how forums go from forums, to communities.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11

hmmm

i´m not against a chatter in between but yup,if its not game related at all and such threads come all too often i have to do something,either close em or move em to the coffeelounge. I´ll do so if there are more of the same soon.

coffee lounge owns. I prefer it because you get to talk about anything. I also like the arena
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I did not know of such a thing as coffee lounge, i do now thx

Perhaps there should be a bullitin(sp?) saying that you should post [disc] in the coffee lounge, not on the games forum.

It would help some at least.

or get more moderators on this board to move the threads over.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Of course, in some cases we know we're posting off-topic stuff, but we want the replies to be from the coders here rather than random people. I don't use the Coffee Lounge because I like the crowd in the Games forum and want to post to them rather than the Coffee Lounge regulars. It's a social thing more than ignorance.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Student
    but it gets annoying if the off-topic discussions are taking over here

off topic threads always get more posts then on topic ones, so to me it seems they are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    .. but we want the replies to be from the coders here rather than random people. I don't use the Coffee Lounge because I like the crowd in the Games forum and want to post to them rather than the Coffee Lounge regulars. It's a social thing more than ignorance.
    That's right, who cares about the opinion of those webdesigner folks anyway?

Off topic stuff is great. I'm actually hooked to this forum ever since that 'You are all Dream Crushers" thread

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Of course, in some cases we know we're posting off-topic stuff, but we want the replies to be from the coders here rather than random people. I don't use the Coffee Lounge because I like the crowd in the Games forum and want to post to them rather than the Coffee Lounge regulars. It's a social thing more than ignorance.

yeah,i know how it is that´s why i don´t close most threads or move em to the coffee lounge
    Its really the balance,its just been lots of threads in a short while,that´s why others are moaning,some chatter here in between is nice and welcome,too,just not so many threads within a few days,otherwise it really becomes the coffee lounge replacement

I agree with tomsamson, the occasional discussion thread is fine, but really they should still have at least some relavence to games (EG. 'who is the best games programmer at FlashKit' and 'The best Flash game' threads are fine in my opinion)

At this point I don't think that it's that bad to start moving every [disc] thread to the coffee lounge, but if you do post a [disc] thread try to keep it relavent

whats funny to me is that first some off topics are introduced, no problem, then more, so people start to complain about them , and now there is an off topic thread about off topic threads.... I'm thinking of making an off topic thread about this off topic thread talking about off topic threads lol

lol, sounds like a great idea everfornever

Although FlashKit doesn't seem to have sub-boards any where else, (Correct if I'm wrong) the Games forum could have 3 sub-boards, Help, Bug testing, and Discussion.

Just an idea, might clean it up a bit

Wow, everfornever, that's clever. If you had read my previous message it clearly states
    I don't want this thread to start a discussion itself, but if it does, do it in the coffee lounge.
    My entire purpose of this thread was to make people aware that this was a game forum not a discussion forum and that there are those who agree that this forum is being abused.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------