dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Games vs. Coffee Lounge

  1. #21
    Senior Member tonypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    8,227
    I moved most of off-topic threads to coffee lounge where they belong first place, specially when we get so many of them.

    Orkahm52, I dont know... We dont have so many people in games board to split it up into 3 sub-boards. We might end up with 3 empty boards like the Math and Physics section (which I think should be sub-board of games).

  2. #22
    Hype over content... Squize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Lost forever in a happy crowd...
    Posts
    5,928
    I quite like the spammy o/t threads, it's just a nice release from work; work; work.

    They work because the first of the recent batch, the age one, attracted all the spam and pointless posting which meant other threads weren't cluttered up. It's nice to have a thread where you can just make stupid glib comments without it actually hurting the original poster.

    Now though it has become slight overkill. It's like when we have a 48hr comp, as soon as it's done there are 3 more comp threads with everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Less is more sometimes

    I'm more concerned about a lot of repeat threads popping up, and what seems nearly every interesting thread being hi-jacked or dragged o/t.
    For example the neon2 thread, one of the best games shown here for a long time, and posted by a good helpful member of our little gang, and even that drifted off, that to me is rude ( And yes I know I'm guilty of the odd hi-jack if a post really burns me too ).

    Squize.

  3. #23
    Senior Member The Helmsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    _root
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostGuru
    Along with a few others, I have noticed that more and more discussions are taking over the game forum. While I do like some of these discussions, I think they would be more appropriate in other forums. I know that others would agree with me.
    I think there are two main reasons for this:

    - most of people here are amateurs in programming and very young, compared to FigLeaf forums for example. You'll never see here questions discussing things such "Flash + Web Services", "HaXe", "Zinc" and "Flex" because overall level of developers here is very low. Most of them don't know anything else except AS 1.0.

    - the next thing is that all high level developers (i don't want to post nicknames here use this forum to discuss their view on the problems Flash has and the future of Coffee Cup games, but you'll never see them asking questions. Mostly because they know that what i wrote in the above is true and they never get answers on their questions here. They just prefer to ask them in other places. Tell me if i'm wrong?
    Last edited by The Helmsman; 10-08-2006 at 06:19 AM.

  4. #24
    Wait- what now? tidenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,472
    I dont mind the physics questions on here same with trig and all the rest FK could easily cut down on the alternate number of boards by making the current ones more open. For example as tonypasaid people discuss maths and physics in here. This is ok because people are using it in thier games also like the flash 8 forum has nearly the same content as the games section same with many others because game making is such a broad subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by theHelmsman
    - the next thing is that all high level developers (i don't want to post nicknames here use this forum to discuss their view on the problems Flash has and the future of Coffee Cup games,
    Tsk tsk. You didnt close that bracket
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

  5. #25
    Senior Member walnoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    754
    I think a neat solution for both parties would be ONE offtopic thread wherein you can talk about everything, probably this thread will always wander around in the highest regions of the forum. At the same time people that just want to read/talk about "gamedevelopment in flash", can skip the offtopic thread, and get what they want in the rest.
    Personally I got offtopic questions sometimes, which I'd like to get answered by the crew here on the games forum, but I don't post them since I like the forum with it's sort of specific technical feeling. In an offtopic thread I wouldn't feel embarrased.

    I got bigger problems with some people around here, that like to join every single thread opened. Even when it's a too advanced question for them to answer, they reply with something like: "Wow, that would be a very impressive code to do that!!". Argh!
    Last edited by walnoot; 10-08-2006 at 08:54 AM.

  6. #26
    Say hello to Bob Kakihara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    kent, England
    Posts
    1,067
    How many off topic threads is too many though?

    When I started reading this thread I was edging toward saying that a few off topic threads is fine and that its not that hard to scroll down the page to find the coding stuff. But now ive swung the other way (no jokes please ) because really its not that hard for people to post in the coffee lounge section and bookmark that page for a quick viewing when they fancy a chat.

    Both sides have a legitimate argument so maybe it should come down to a poll to sort it out before a civil war breaks out.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    692
    I think all off-topic posts should be in the Coffee lounge, unless it's semi on topic IE, "whats your favorite game?".


    PS, if this is a competition, the CL beats Games to death.

  8. #28
    Please, Call Me Bob trogdor458's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    915
    i believe the reason people post discs in the game section and not that other place, is because, like said earlier, everyone on this section of the forum has gotten to know each other and would talk to them as if though they were a buddy of theirs. would you prefer to talk to people you know, or complete strangers? and unless people start removing the [disc] from the beginning of offtopic posts, i dont think there will be to many of them until they start flooding the place

  9. #29
    Vox adityadennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    751
    http://www.aim.com/ << an easier way to talk to buddies.

  10. #30
    Please, Call Me Bob trogdor458's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    915
    not necessarily, i mean, i dont have aim, well i do, i just dont use it, i also dont have a myspace either. besides, what if you want to attract the attention of a mass audience without actually forcing them to take time away from other work?

  11. #31
    Senior Member TheLostGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    I live on this webpage...
    Posts
    784
    trogdor, your posting is lazy. Have you ever heard of backspace, "I don't have aim, well I do, I mean". I really don't mean to be rude, but you are 15 and yet you seem to think that what you have to say is better than everyone else. You have to be heard. I mean look at this pic I just took



    Post after post is yours.
    And when you post things like this
    hmm... yeah it should be posted on a different site, there are children at this forum!! like me...i didnt spend enough time to check the whole thing out
    What is the use of that? You don't say anything useful in there and then you admit you didn't even take the time to check everything out.

    and
    by now it should be clear what everyone thinks of your game, and yet everyone still posts:
    "good job man"

    btw, good job man
    I have to agree with walnoot when he said
    Could you talk alittle bit less? I'm member of the forum since one and a half year, check the site 2 or 3 times a day, and comment when I feel to. You're member since a month, and almost reach my amount of posts. I'm nobody here, but I feel the quality of "my number one knowledgebase" is going down, because of all your blabla. I'm sorry.
    This forum was not made for your social life. If you are using it to further your skills as a programmer or to help others, power to you, but don't waste the rest of our time by trying to make us all "good buddies".
    Last edited by TheLostGuru; 10-08-2006 at 11:18 PM.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  12. #32
    Yes we can tomsamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Team Titan Secret Lair
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by The Helmsman
    I think there are two main reasons for this:

    - most of people here are amateurs in programming and very young, compared to FigLeaf forums for example. You'll never see here questions discussing things such "Flash + Web Services", "HaXe", "Zinc" and "Flex" because overall level of developers here is very low. Most of them don't know anything else except AS 1.0.

    - the next thing is that all high level developers (i don't want to post nicknames here use this forum to discuss their view on the problems Flash has and the future of Coffee Cup games, but you'll never see them asking questions. Mostly because they know that what i wrote in the above is true and they never get answers on their questions here. They just prefer to ask them in other places. Tell me if i'm wrong?
    erm,you´re kinda contradicting yourself there mate,on the one side you say most people here are amateurs,on the other side you speak about the high level developers here and that they don´t ask questions here because there would be noone able to answer em.
    I think there is a great bunch of professionals lurking around here,but as it comes with doing something as profession they normally often have few time for long winded talks or helping out others lengthy.
    Me, personally, i liked it a lot to help as many people as i could but these days i hardly get to check most of the new threads,even less to check others code a lot (i´m doing the project lead for several projects all the time normally so i already check out projects of others a lot that way next to coding on own projects).
    If i have questions i´d rather discuss em with someone from the team on messenger,not because i don´t believe there would others on fk or another board who could help but more because a messenger talk goes quicker than a forum post and then waiting for replies.
    (I also only have the time to check the forum lengthy in the evening or night hours when most/all work for the day is done,or on weekends or holidays)
    I also wouldn´t post things about Flash + Web Services", "HaXe", "Zinc" and "Flex" etc here because well,this is the games forum,not the backend,open source dev languages & environments or standalone app forum .
    I think that´s just the natural progression for many working with flash: first they look around for learning material,ask on forums etc,too; ,after a while they get more experienced and help others,then they eventually get a job and have less time for both. Eventually some day they become rich and have lots of time again or overwork themselves so much they loose all interest in their profession and do something totally different and don´t go online at all anymore. Not sure about the last few steps of the progression i listed before; haven´t been there yet,though i´ve experienced examples presented for those by other fk members changing their way of life several times
    Last edited by tomsamson; 10-08-2006 at 11:22 PM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member The Helmsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    _root
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    erm,you´re kinda contradicting yourself there mate...,
    May be I'm wrong, I just try to analyze what I see here compared to FigLeaf forum. Actually it's two different things, one is web based and another is email subscription. Anyway when I'm looking at FigLeaf forum I see people who publish books about Flash, work in well known Web Design Studios and all of them collaborating each other helping new ones and give them examples using highly efficient code, pointing newbies to something higher then just using Flash as a web designer, but trying to explain them a concepts of OO design and Flash alternatives such as HaXe.

    I don't want to say that we haven't such kind of people here on our lovely FK but if you compare the overall propotion of a newbies here opposite to full time job Flash developers, you'll see it in correlation of 90% of newbies to 10% of professionals. Opposite to FigLeaf, where the most of people work with Flash full time on the serious projects either Open Source or Commercials.

    I'm not going to say that is bad or good for a FK but I can't say I'm happy with this situation. Personally, when I started to post code here I decided to write all of code using AS 2.0 trying to encourage all newbiees here start working using OO or get benefits of strict type definitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    I think there is a great bunch of professionals lurking around here, but as it comes with doing something as profession they normally often have few time for long winded talks or helping out others lengthy.
    Me, personally, i liked it a lot to help as many people as i could but these days i hardly get to check most of the new threads,even less to check others code a lot (i´m doing the project lead for several projects all the time normally so i already check out projects of others a lot that way next to coding on own projects).
    I like to help people too, and most of us here include me don't have time at all to make new posts. That's the biggest problem. I always astonished when i see people like Tony and others posts comments daily here. Do you have a full time job on a FK, guys? Anyway, they do a great job.

  14. #34
    hmm Pugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    616
    I think not much is happening in the forum at the momment, hence the disc threads. People want to paticipate, but there are no threads to discuss anything about. The forum goes through these slow periods every once and a while. Things will pick up on a more game centered note, its almost newbie season.

    By the way, flashkit is quite accessiable and has a huge member list to boast. It is a forum designed to help anyone, and for that you get everyone. Figleaf seems to be oriented at the full time flash proffessional (basing this statement off your description, never seen it). It's a matter of aims.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center