A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [MX][release] Flash MX zelda engine - giveaway

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    I'm trying to build the house tiles. It's been really hard because like I said, it's hard to measure the exact amount of cropping I need to do on each sprite.

Student
    here you are, inside and outside:

some tips:
    create a checker like this one:
    but instead of the one here 24*24 each as a 32*32 cell. Fill a whole new layer with it.
    If you now use the magic wad tool in Photoshop (w- key) and set it´s soft border to 0 (alias level) and it´s tolerance as well to 0 (excact color) and the check on "contiguous" off. With these settings with the active layer the checker one (even if it´s invisible) click on any cell and voila it select you the 32*32 cell.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:17 AM.

Well. That helped again too. The only thing is that the houses appear to small as Link is almost the same size as them. When ever I try to enlarge the doors they clip out of the tile.

Student
    post a sample picture,- my guess is that the upper part of the door tiles need to be transparent partly,- that way they dont block link away

Look at Link and look at the house. The house is too small.

The size there for each tile as you can see is 16 by 16. Let's change it to 24 by 24.

Now. As you notice now that when you look at the door tile compared to the last, it's shoved out of the tile because it is so enlarged. Thats why I was asking if there's another way around this or anther option of making larger tiles.

Render -- I would be very interested in the Zelda sprite sheets and soundtracks, if it would not be any trouble uploading a package of them any time.

I've been programming for a few years and been meaning to actually sit down and work with a project. I realize everyone one wants to create an RPG, Zelda, or Mario.. but, it's just something I could relate to and be nice to work and code with for a start on particular engines.

If it's not too much of a bother, of course.

Student
    @ evaman:
    sorry my mistake the sprites should be 16*16 each,- here the previous sprite sheet I posted with a 16*16 checker:

see it matches

and here how the house should be done:

hope that clarifies some

@ AfternoonDelite: will upload it today
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Student
    here is the sprite packge, it contains 282 files so tons of sprites just for zelda
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5GB00H94

it has the complete worlmaps with it´s complete ripped sprites (16*16) as well as some new designs from fans, music files (mid,..) FX sprites and character sprites. The package is about 29.5 MB and packed as a *.rar archive.

Just amazing. Thank you.

I hope once I can get something working.. I'm praying to have some more time spring break.. to eventually post some stuff up on the board.

I just want to try to get my head wrapped around the whole Bitmap features. A shame I still haven't done that.

Thanks again.

Thanks Render, this really helped too. I appreciate it.

btw, did you get my PM. I'm trying to figure out how you can draft those movie symbols on your sprite editor. I thought it would be useful for my portfolio.

Student
    not sure if I got that particular PM or understood you now clearly?- you want to know how I cuplicated the movieClips in my sprite manager and level view? Better use newer techniques for that- because even with Flash 9 you can´t duplicate Loaded MovieClips completely- better use bitmap data to draw() [renders the visible movieClip or image to a bitmapData object] and then attach the bitmap via AS.

Umm.. A little lost right there to be quite honest. I want the movie clips to act like windows that you can drag around with the mouse. Unless if you all ready explained that and I'm repeating just that bit.

Student
    anyway evaman if you want further with tile art and sprites better get in contact with the bitmapData object in Flash 8,- even AS3 builds up on that so it´s kind of the future in flash for handling such.

I created you an example of how a future Zelda engine with bitmapData could work in it´s core:
    fla, tiles & swf_
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashki...lda_sample.zip

online swf:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashki...ine_sample.swf

core techniques:
    - loading of multiple sprite sheets (with movieClipLoader event model)
    - slice method that picks out the pixel region (16*16 pixels) of the loaded sprite
    - sprites have opacity just as in the to be loaded sprite image (PNG in my example)

building the map might be slow at first but that only because of the map size. When you implement scrolling this method can be so much faster as anythig before in Flash.

Have a look at it- if you dont understand certain function look at the flash help there evey function should be explained well- I tried keeping the code amount smal
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:19 AM.

Render I noticed the way you have made your xml maps. How exactly does it work?

Because i'm trying to do the samething but having problems turning the tags into an array.

I tried looking through the .fla but its hard to find what your looking for if you don't know where anything is.

how can i change the sprite of link to another one?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by ronney
    how can i change the sprite of link to another one?
    there should be a movieClip of the link character in the library,- search for it. That movieClip has 4 frames for 4 directions. Each frame then again contains a movieClip with the sprites in it, - exchange those sprites and you are done

The Sovereign
    Hehehe, reminds me of the good ol' days with hours of countless scripting for RM2k.

GREAT JOB, If I was more adept at Flash I'd def. further this development, but I'm Just starting out

Great Job.