A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [GAME] Minotaur

[GAME] Minotaur

Link to Minotaur

Tell me what you think,
    TOG the Mighty.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    It's actually not that bad, but 2 things I didn't care for were how large level 9 was comapred to 8, and around level 5 I started on a staircase so I went from level 4 to 6...

Pretty good, but maybe you could add a bigger line of sight.
    Also their aren't enough junctions in the earlier levels, it's more like a set out track.
    But overall a good game

9 Times the Fun
    It's a bit boring untill you hit about level 6, prehaps the mazes could be much larger so you actually have to remember which way to go.

Quiet guy at the bar
    Dudes, the maps are randomly generated... which if you look at it is quite impressive...

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Pretty nice . I would suggest changing the player icon though. The rest of the game has a nice retro feel to it, but the player doesn’t fit. I enjoyed it though, played quite a few levels .

Ali

Thanks guys... I agree about the first few levels being boring; although sometimes they come out okay... It is random afterall. Once there were no splits on level 7, which was really weird.

I thought I fixed the thing where you start on the exit; but who knows? I'll look at it again. The size of the levels is random as well; the formula is...

(L=the current level)

L+3+random(L)

Perhaps I'll make it...

L+6+random(L)

...or something.

Thanks for the feedback,
    TOG the Mighty.

Its good but it is like a track (as said before) you actually have to go one way and until you get far in the game its more like you dont have to do anything and the game just plays itself
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Trog, I like it. What else do you plan to do with it?

Updated player graphics and made more paths in each level (made them rectangles, which annoys me, but it gaurantees that there will be no serious mess ups.)...

I was planning on put holes in certain walls, and also adding fake walls, both of which would be easy enough... although I'd have to redo the doors as a result of putting holes in the walls.

This is really great.
    It reminds me of Haunted House on the 2600 a little bit, because you can't really see where you're going.

What if the maze disappeared a few spaces behind you too? Like you can only see the few tiles that are illuminated by your torch. It would make it more challenging to remember where you've already explored. Might be too frustrating though...

I agree with the others that there isn't enough variety in the maze, at least in the first few levels. I think there should be more consequence to my decisions in the maze too. Like if I choose to open the 'wrong' door, then I won't find enough keys to explore the whole level.

It's cool that the levels are being generated randomly, but they might be more fun if you sat down and designed some static levels.

I love the originality in your games.

i think you should put the music file into the game itself, instead of a seperate link. and improving the graphics is key in any game, but can sometimes be the hardest to pull off, not quite sure how you made each maze have a workable path to the staircase (probably because there can be so many ways), i just assume you made a path with random sub-paths spliting off of it, maze is nice though!! don't like minotaur to sword ratio though

In response to Cadin:
    I think I had better leave the discovery of paths alone, because some determined people might take the time to draw out the map... and I will just save some of their time.

By variety, do you mean more paths to choose from?

I can try to make your consequences a little more severe; but it might get far too annoying...

Where would the static levels fit into the game, and also, people would know the layout of it.

Thanks.

In response to Trogdor:
    Midi's are not supported in Flash MX... because Midi's are the only sort of music files I know how to create. (There are a few others, but Flash MX doesn't support them either.)

Used erosion method, that is labeling a tile, moving randomly, putting a hole between the next tile and the one you're on, and so on and so forth, not being allowed back on a labeled, unless a dead-end is reached... A similar thing was done for the items.

What do you mean by minotaur to sword ratio? Are there more minotaurs than swords, or vice-versa, because if you find a minotaur, run for an unexplored path in the attempt to find a sword; because there should be enough.
    Last edited by TOG the Mighty; 10-11-2006 at 03:47 PM.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    What about when you die or get hit by a trap, restarting that "level" but generating a new map? As soon as you hit a dead end, the minotaur beats the crap out of you, even if you have 3 lives, and that's happened to me 3 times now before level 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TOG the Mighty
    Where would the static levels fit into the game, and also, people would know the layout of it.
    I meant that you would have pre-designed levels instead of random ones.
    Yes, people would learn them over time, that would be part of the game.

Which brings me to my next point,
    By variety, do you mean more paths to choose from?
    Not just more paths. I think the game should have a feeling that the choices you make effect the game in some way (this is also what I meant by consequences).

When I played it, it kind of felt like I would always find a key, a door, a monster, reveal the whole level and then go to the staircase. But what if you could only find everything you needed if you made certain choices along the way. It's like in Super Mario Bros, you can go down the pipe and get extra coins, or skip it and get the 1UP, but you can't do both.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride
    What about when you die or get hit by a trap, restarting that "level" but generating a new map? As soon as you hit a dead end, the minotaur beats the crap out of you, even if you have 3 lives, and that's happened to me 3 times now before level 3.
    He should make the minotaur disappear after he kills you.

here are a few games that may give you ideas

odyssey: legend of nemisis, and yes, it's so old that it's free

also try the Avernum Trilogy or Exile Trilogy at the spider web software's site

both of them have similar styles to your game, but are actually rpg's

btw, avernum 1V is a bit differant from the others, so don't immediatly click on it

by minotaur to sword ratio, i mean i can never find a sword after facing the minotaur, so i just run into a corner and die, a suggestion for the minotaur is to not have the "roar!!" every time you move, but maybe something quieter
    Last edited by trogdor458; 10-11-2006 at 04:45 PM.

Not just more paths. I think the game should have a feeling that the choices you make effect the game in some way (this is also what I meant by consequences).

When I played it, it kind of felt like I would always find a key, a door, a monster, reveal the whole level and then go to the staircase. But what if you could only find everything you needed if you made certain choices along the way. It's like in Super Mario Bros, you can go down the pipe and get extra coins, or skip it and get the 1UP, but you can't do both.
    If I was to do this the highscores would be invalidated. I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer highscores, because you can keep trying to get to the top, even if you are already there, in which case you can pass your self up.
    What about when you die or get hit by a trap, restarting that "level" but generating a new map?
    Again, what about the highscores, which I find preferable.
    He should make the minotaur disappear after he kills you.
    What do you mean by that? Are you saying that I should discard the highscores, because that's really the whole point of these games; isn't it? Maybe I should make it so the minotaur dies after he attacks you once, but then the same feeling of death breathing down your neck wouldn't be there would it? A better idea would be to make you able to get past him, but lose some life in the process.
    by minotaur to sword ratio, i mean i can never find a sword after facing the minotaur, so i just run into a corner and die, a suggestion for the minotaur is to not have the "roar!!" every time you move, but maybe something quieter
    I queited the roar, but you're right... I'll do as you asked after I'm done typing this.
    Last edited by TOG the Mighty; 10-11-2006 at 06:54 PM.

odyssey: legend of nemisis, and yes, it's so old that it's free

also try the Avernum Trilogy or Exile Trilogy at the spider web software's site
    Odyssey is only for Macintosh, and I don't have that.

I'd say the graphics in Avernum and Exile is a lot better than mine, so is the gameplay... but mine is simply an online flash game that has highscores; nothing special.

Wow, the new characters are great!
    The gameplay is getting much better too. This is getting really good.

Regarding the high scores, I don't think I understand why any of the things suggested by Ray, Imprisoned or myself would mean you couldn't still have them.

Also, I don't think that the score is necessarily the most important thing. To be honest, I didn't even notice there was a score until you pointed it out. I thought the point was to get through as many levels as possible.

If you want people to care about the score, it should be more prominent. I would work on the design of your stats sidebar.