dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ActionScript 3.0 in Flash MX 2004?

ActionScript 3.0 in Flash MX 2004?

I am hoping I did not make a huge mistake. In my never ending quest to scratch the surface with action script I bought a DVD rom from lynda.com. Seeing as to how ActionScript 3.0 is now available, I went for the latest. the DVD is done with Flex Builder, but I figured it deosn't matter since I can generate an actionscript file from flash. Only I am not sure that Flash MX 2004 even recognizes Actionscript 3.0. I don't know how to debug in an actionscript file. All I know is that whenever I check syntax my output window comes upo with many errors, and I have typed exactly what the DVD auther did in Flex Builder. Can I even use this language in this version of Flash? Can I use it in the next version of Flash? If I can use it in MX 2004, how do I debug? If not I guess I will be looking to buy the actionscript 2.0 rom.

You need Flash 8 to upgrade to the Flash 9 preview.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    In other words, no, Flash MX 2004 cannot do anything with ActionScript 3. If anything, its just a bulky version of Notepad for you. Even Flash 8 cannot compile AS3, however, with Flash 8 you can download and install the Flash 9 Alpha ActionScript 3 Preview from labs.adobe.com which does support and can compile AS3 code.

Fear not, you're not 100% screwed. You can download the Flex Builder trial here:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/flex_trial

Allowing you to follow right along with those tutorials

In that same link, you can also use the FREE Flex SDK which has the ActionScript 3 command line compiler you can use to compile your AS3 files - files you can just as well make in Flash MX 2004 (taking it with the perspective of a big text editor). I have a tutorial that can help you get started with using the command line compiler here:
    http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutorials/as3withmxmlc/

So even without buying Flex or getting into Flash 9, you can still compile and create AS3 projects

Version

Thanks. I am not even sure what Flex is or is capable of. It looks to me like just a way to make templates that are interactive by the user. Or something like that. I am guessing it is a very new product, only in its second version. I have been avoiding purchasing new software because I will be purchasing an intel powermac in a year or so, and do not want to purchase anything for my powerPC mac. So I guess I am screwed. I guess my only question now is, is it worth it to learn Actionscript 2.0 when it has already been replaced by 3.0?

Yes it is worthwhile, because the transition to AS3 will be easier. AS2 and AS3 are very much related. If you learn it then learn how to write class files.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    AS2 has not necessarily been replaced either. It will still play an important part in developing Flash movies even after the release of Flash 9 because developers will want to target versions of Flash below Flash Player 9 or for when developing for mobile devices.

If you don't plan on using AS2, however (for example, for reasons listed above), I'd personally suggest against learning it in favor of AS3. Though knowing AS2 now can help you with AS3, if you want to learn AS3 and do not yet know AS2, learning AS2 will teach you approaches that no longer apply or are deemed deprecated in AS3. For example, method binding and movie clip creation have changed a lot in AS3 and what applied in AS2 no longer applies in AS3.

Never the less, it would be better to know both incase you ever need to use one or the other.

bit-101 has a tutorial about using as3 in flashdevelop
    http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=849

Nice on the flashdevelop! *notes links*

Thanks