A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok flash 8 is new but as 2, were is as 3.o then

Ok flash 8 is new but as 2, were is as 3.o then

I dont understand, I just downloaded trial of falsh 8, but its still as 2.0

I was expecting 3.0

Now I here about flex, what is it? and should I forget about flash 8 and uninstal the trial

I would rather practice AS 3.0 but not sure what software offers and what that software does
    need info please

Since you want to use AS3.0 then you have to download the flash 9 beta product. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flash9as3preview/

\x3a\x6f\x29
    You could download the trial of the FlexBuilder. There is also the (free) SDK which allows you to create Flash9 content but it is a little bit more complicated without an IDE.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/in...m?product=flex

Then there is FlashDevelop. It is a free IDE and includes now AS3 support afaik.
    http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    read the sticky in this forum

Hey thanks for the info but I see flash 9 is still a beta, and I cant find any free help on learning 3.0,

But Now I know where to look and I thank you for the help!

boy, flash is progressing fast.

tell me about it

It is hard decidin what to do at this point because of flash being inbetween change.

Flash 8 is still actually 2.0, you can download a trial of flash 9 (alpha public) and it offers action script 3.0, and I see there are some changes already.

But I am not rich and cant afford the training to learn 3.0 right now. And it is hard find any answers too.

I found a 3d game on neopets.com, I am thinking it was done in flash, but now I am hearing rumors it was done in something called flex, witch also offers programing in actionscript 3.0.

So yes flash is moving fast but in what direction?

I am really wanting to create those quick 3d games that can played through flash player 9 on a web browser, it takes learning the software to do it, and it takes the software sticking around long enough to be usefull, in a way I am kinda bothered by how often I have to purchase upgrades to keep up, it seems as soon as I get to the point were I understand and know what I am doing, the software is out of date.

I dont know if it is flex or flash 9 that si the right software to do it in.
    Last edited by elcandi; 10-24-2006 at 11:17 AM.

deleted
    Last edited by dwilliams3; 10-24-2006 at 02:17 PM.

i definatley agree.
    It seems like Flash 3d is a joke.
    IF you have time you should check out this 3d atv game i made in shockwave
    http://davidmw.f2g.net/ATV.v3.html
    I havent even seen 3D flash yet

Nice but how do you make it move?

I thought shockwave was flash.

If it isnt is there shockwave software to build 3d invoroment in?

In flash it is just to much work. why go to the rouble to draw the everything in 3d?
    I have made maps for games like unreal turnament, but those games come with there own 3d editor, and can only be played through there own interpretor (game engine) software. But building a 3d invoroment is easy, I can wip up a map and full detial in hour or two. because the editor is setup to produce 3d images.

When I seen the 3d game on neopets, I had gotten the impresion it was done in flash 8 becuase 1. neopets does all there games in flash, and flash 8 is the product macromedia is selling on there web site now, I did just find out about the flash 9) I also thought flash 8 used action script 3.0, and had new 3d drawing tools to produce 3d images on its stage.

I think I just got to excited and way ahead of myself.
    You see I have puttin off learning any of the web development imaging stuff because it just does not last, every year a new version comes out and you gotta start over, and I felt why waste the time when what the world really wants is quick 3d games that can loaded in played directly from the browser!

Anyway I am impressed with what you have made, I would like to learn more about the shockwave version you used to produce it, like what version of actionscript does it use, or is the programing done in someting like c?

Thank you
    Last edited by elcandi; 10-24-2006 at 02:58 PM.

- The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

There are two different players: shockwave and flash. shockwave is for director but flash movies are also counted as shockwave I believe. 3D has been done with flash, I've found one that uses actionscript 3.0

I download trial of director mx 2004, could not find any newer version of the software.
    It looks like what I was talking about, I am self tought, and had no idea it was out there!

Thanks alot
    It looks to be exactly what I was looking for, seems a bit more complicated though, but if I can make up some quick littel 3d games with it, thats fine with me.

To bad I never learned Java! But no better time then now! Now to decide to learn 3.0 or not? mmmmmmm

Thanks alot

"Nice but how do you make it move?"
    the arrow keys to move
    press R to go back to where you were.

I built it with the havok physics engine, you should look into that.
    Its awesome to have full scale phisics with out even programing them

love it to dwilliams

I played your dune buggy and I have to say this----

Oh yea thats what im talking about!!!!

You say you did this in director. I think you did a marvolous job! Its fun to drive around!

I think you and I can work together, hey I am a newbie to director, but I am a fast learner and have great determination!

Besides all that I have huge ideas for games one that George Lucas will want to get his hands on, I have huge money making ideas, and it will take a team to make them come true!

I will need some time to get up on java and director, I pretty much have actionscript down so java should not be that big of a deal, actually I was making a shoot em up game for my nephew, I think I will finish that game.

I learn better through dvd video's or even recorded info, do you know of any resorces I can get a quick eductaion on director mx 2004?

Thanks
    Last edited by elcandi; 10-24-2006 at 07:43 PM.

not really,
    director seems like its bearly documented.
    I spent about a weak learning it before I built that.
    it was hard for me to get the resources i needed to figure out what i did.
    Im in a team with the artist that did all of the 3d models for that atv game.
    A second programer would be nice if you can figure it out.

So it was director, I had said that then reread your post and you had mentioned shockwave.

I just got confuused wile searching for the correct software.

Anyway did the artist create the 3d model in something like 3dsmax or maya?

I have 3ds max and use it to create model for unreal, its not easy to do, and there goes why haveing a team work together is the way to!

If he did build the model in a 3d model software tool, then I gues director is able to import those mods?

I went to the library and am starting on it now, I am just getting the gist of the interface and were and what everything does.

I guess I have huge learing curve.

Well
    thank you for your help

So it was director, I had said that then reread your post and you had mentioned shockwave.

I have 3ds max and use it to create model for unreal, its not easy to do, and there goes why haveing a team work together is the way to!

If he did build the model in a 3d model software tool, then I gues director is able to import those mods?

I went to the library and am starting on it now, I am just getting the gist of the interface and were and what everything does.

I guess I have huge learning curve.

Well
    thank you for your help

I have 3ds max and use it to create model for unreal, its not easy to do, and there goes why haveing a team work together is the way to go!

I guess I have huge learning curve.

Well
    thank you for your help
    Last edited by elcandi; 10-24-2006 at 08:49 PM.

crossconscious
    Quote Originally Posted by elcandi
    It is hard decidin what to do at this point because of flash being inbetween change.

Flash 8 is still actually 2.0, you can download a trial of flash 9 (alpha public) and it offers action script 3.0, and I see there are some changes already.

But I am not rich and cant afford the training to learn 3.0 right now. And it is hard find any answers too.
    Why would you need money to learn AS3? All you need is some time. Just install the alpha, read the livedocs, and start programming.

I found a 3d game on neopets.com, I am thinking it was done in flash, but now I am hearing rumors it was done in something called flex, witch also offers programing in actionscript 3.0.
    Just think of Flex as a different environment to make flash stuff. It works with the same player as Flash does, it's just a more developer oriented environment.

I am really wanting to create those quick 3d games that can played through flash player 9 on a web browser, it takes learning the software to do it, and it takes the software sticking around long enough to be usefull, in a way I am kinda bothered by how often I have to purchase upgrades to keep up, it seems as soon as I get to the point were I understand and know what I am doing, the software is out of date.
    Well, I think it's a good thing they keep on progressing. Just get Flash 8, and you can use the Flash 9 alpha for free. But you won't complain once they add 3D support, right? Because you want to make fast 3D games. But other people need other features, so you shouldn't be complaining when they try to make their product better. If you can't keep up, you can always skip a few steps. And you can still use the things you learned (well, AS3 is quite different from previous versions, but in a good way).

I dont know if it is flex or flash 9 that si the right software to do it in.
    The language used is the same. If you're already comfortable using Flash, I'd say you should learn AS3 using Flash 9 alpha. You can always check out Flex later to see if you like it. I haven't gotten to it personally, I'm fine with using the Flash 9 alpha, but I might check it out later.

In flash it is just to much work. why go to the rouble to draw the everything in 3d?
    I have made maps for games like unreal turnament, but those games come with there own 3d editor, and can only be played through there own interpretor (game engine) software. But building a 3d invoroment is easy, I can wip up a map and full detial in hour or two. because the editor is setup to produce 3d images.
    Well, Flash doesn't claim to do this. It's good for 2D stuff. If you need 3D, you'll have to either use some other software, or wait until Flash supports it. Which will be at least two more years, possibly more. That said, you can do some basic 3D in Flash, but once you do more complex things like texturing, it starts getting pretty slow.

You see I have puttin off learning any of the web development imaging stuff because it just does not last, every year a new version comes out and you gotta start over, and I felt why waste the time when what the world really wants is quick 3d games that can loaded in played directly from the browser!
    That's not what the world wants. If someone wants to play a 3D game, they'll just play a stand alone game. Web games are mostly used for quick entertainment, coffee break kind of stuff. That's not to say that there won't be a market for web based 3D games, there might be, but I don't think doing 2D games is a waste of time at all. Heck, you can create one game a year, and if it's any good, that would more than pay for your Flash upgrades.

On one hand, you're complaining that Flash doesn't support 3D, on the other you're complaining that it's progressing too fast. I think you're just complaining because it's not progressing in the direction you would like. But look at it this way : before they should even consider adding 3D stuff (and other things), the language has to be fast enough. That's where AS3 comes in.

Also keep in mind that fewer people have the Shockwave plug in (which is needed for director). Flash Player is installed on a lot more computers. Not sure about the actual numbers though.

Good luck.