A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbour using my wireless?

Neighbour using my wireless?

My internets been going slow recently I just checked my client list and I have an unwanted user.
    I dont know who they are because they are called:
    zazacaca
    so it give me no leads lol.
    Anywho can someone tell me how to set some security for my router. WEP sounds best but everytime i try it and it asks for the code it says must be X numbers or X hexadecimal code please type again.
    Help please.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

You have to create a WEP encryption password through your routers settings page. Then use it when connecting to your router.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Even those can be hacked

best way is set the router to ackonwledge only specific MAC addresses of your own devices and that should take care of it, look under filters

First, change the settings of the router so that they are not the default (default IP, default admin password).

If they are already connecting, try changing the wireless channel.
    WEP encryption is useful, too.

I think there's a setting somewhere that makes the router not announce itself. That means that users searching for wireless connections won't see yours. They could only connect if they know your network name. (i think there are ways to get around that though)

You could disable DHCP, so that users trying to connect, don't get an IP automatically, but are forced to add their settings manually (for that you'd need to know the IP range and the dns). In the same area, according to how you set up your network, you could specify the range of ips allowed to connect, and by that you could limit the number of IPS. If you use DHCP, you could also limit the number of devices allowed to connect and get IP automatically.

If you do stuff like this, it usually means more work for you, because all devices YOU want to connect to your network have to be setup manually.

If you don't disable DHCP, most routers (at least mine does) has a couple of filters for MAC address: you can set up which MAC addresses are allowed in your network, and which don't....if you know the MAC of the person that is getting into your network, add it to that filter.

All these measures, I guess, won't avoid a serious hacker to get into your network, but at least it should be more than enough for the casual neighbors that think they're more intelligent than you
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Also, why don't do the opposite? I'm not that good in networking, but, let them connect to your network, and then mess with them, search for vulnerabilities in their pc, and change their host file, or send them messages like: 'This is a message from the RIAA. You're IP has been logged, and you will receive a lawsuit in the next couple of days for downloading illegal content. You are going down!!!! mwahahaha!'
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

why not let him on? i consider you a good neighbor if you did.

Looking at stats hes used half my monthly bandwidth in 5 days.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I think i remember a case that the riaa dropped because the defendant had an unsecured wireless router, so the riaa had no way to prove that the defendant was actually the one who was doing the downloading.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    Looking at stats hes used half my monthly bandwidth in 5 days.
    Ouch.. you have monthly bandwidth restrictions!? I think you need to look into getting a new ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by random25
    I think i remember a case that the riaa dropped because the defendant had an unsecured wireless router, so the riaa had no way to prove that the defendant was actually the one who was doing the downloading.
    Except for the 300 GB HD that had about 20,000 songs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    Except for the 300 GB HD that had about 20,000 songs on it.
    Yea, good point.
    Better to be safe than sorry.

This is how i always setup my routers:
    1: create a WEP encryption password.
    2: disable broadcast ssid.
    3: disable DHCP.
    4: setup connection on your pc's manually.

I'm sure someone could get around all this, but i dont think the average network leach will know how.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

My standard setup:
    * Disable SSID broadcast
    * MAC Filtering
    * 128-bit WEP

Not uncrackable, but enough of a pain to get through for most people to bother. I leave DHCP enabled because keeping track of IP's is a PITA.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

You know what I'm going to do?

Internet - > PC - > Wireless Router - > ( Connected Devices )

The interesting part comes between the PC and connected devices. The PC acts as a NAT that encrypts / compresses the packets being sent with my own proprietary encryption algorithm so any data going over the wireless could not be interpreted by a computer that looks for standard header information. Since it's all local area, I can replace the header with whatever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    ...keeping track of IP's is a PITA.
    Bah...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I can't believe you guys are saying use WEP. Why not go forward with WPA, MAC address exclusions, and disable SSID broadcast?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Turn their internet upside down!!
    http://www.lifehacker.com/software/w...own-190441.php

The link after the jump doesn't work right now, but hopefully it'll be up soon.

Im gonna use wat gerbick suggested. Now this is a stupid question but are all Mac Adresses static?

yes. each one is given one at birth. like a ss number
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Thanks silverx

Hey guys, mini-jack - I've been trying to set up my wireless for my brother in law who's staying with us for a while; I've never used it before as I only ever use hard-wired systems, so I usually keep it turned off.

I've turned it on, followed configuration instructions but his laptop doesn't pick up my network; I've tried leaving broadcast SSID on, but nothing shows up. Given those two settings (wireless enabled, SSID broadcast) shouldn't it at least show up in his list of available networks? I've checked his wireless channel and they are the same.

Anyway to test if it's just my wireless router being a ***** or a problem with the settings/system?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

does your brother have wireless enabled?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.