A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using character sprites

Using character sprites

Hi.

I have noticed that some tile based games use character sprites where all movement/rotation graphics are taken from one big bitmap containing all.

Can someone please give me the name of this method and possibly a reference on how to use/program in this way.

Many thanks,
    Tom.

Never did it myself, but probably this thread by tonypa could help you out:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=698991

Student
    with Flash 8 and the bitmap api you can slice 1 image into your desired seperate sprites. Usually you need a slice table in order to know where to slice.
    This method is traditional for sprite based games on most plattforms but not for the older flash versions so far.
    I once worked in the past on a directX c++ game with a friend (me the artist) of me. But back then we had to develop everything ourselves. This included an animation system that would switch within a time delay to another slice of the image ect. So if you want to use this technique you have to build several functions yourself that usually MovieClips could do for you (frame navigation for instance).

I assume you already are aware of this link,- but on the GSA site you can find such sprite tables
    http://www.gsarchives.net/

I remember someone else posting a sample on how to use sprites for animation aswell. Don't remember who though, so you'll have to search for it. Just saying that there is such a thread already ^^

Was it Willoughby?

Brilliant, thanks a lot people