A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Spiders and Links and Indexing - Oh my

FK's Fnortner

Spiders and Links and Indexing - Oh my

Since website design isn't my main interest or forte, I've never needed to know or understand this stuff. The sites I've designed and built aren't geared to sell merchandise, but instead to keep the public up-to-date, as far as upcoming shows/events. (for example, Google "Bourbon Street" (without the quotes) and the site comes up 7th on the first page) I've never needed to use 'tricks' to try to get more visitors to the site, so I never bothered with learning more. Well, now I want to learn more and I've found THIS page.

I understand that the majority of the page is sarsasm, but can someone tell me exactly what the crap this means?
    Listen, there is only one single method that counts: #1. Forget everything you've heard about search engine indexing. Concentrate all your efforts on publishing fresh content and acquiring related inbound links to your content pages instead.

Link out to valuable pages within the body text and ask for a backlink. Keep your outbound links up, even if you don't get a link back. Add a web links page to each content page and use it to trade links on the content page's topic. Don't bother with home page link exchanges.
    Thanks in advance!

Dale

Bassically,,,

The first part boils down to
    Advertise, banner exchange. rings not always true. especially when dealing with technocrati or Digg. There are quite a number of content theives who can show up with a higher page ranking and your content. your also inviting spammers especially if any email addreses are listed or comment area's are available. Sure some blogs have word filters but then the spammers just change the words,

Link out page... has some validity. if google is spidering to your link out page.

FK's Fnortner
    Looks like I've got a long way to go to understand it all

Thanks for the reply Mike!