A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is chivalry really dead?

Is chivalry really dead?

Just was talking on another site and it hit me... do people really think that chivalry is dead?

I got my point-of-view about it all. What say you lot?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    As long as men are interested in women and there are women who want men to be chivalrous, chivalry will survive.

I think chivalry is just an advanced form of politeness, and I think our society is generally becoming more and more rude. As people view other people as less necessary and we become more individualistic, polite society gets tossed out the window.

I'm a firm believer in chivalry, and will always open the door for ladies and let them go first and it always makes me sad when I run into people who are rude and inconsiderate to others...

Not much we can do except try to set a good example...

LONG LIVE CHIVALRY!!!!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpipe1
    Not much we can do except try to set a good example...
    well you can smack the knaves across the face and throw down your gauntlet. Then run them through the middle with your sword.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Despite the fact that guys nowadays aren't as courteous as they once were, I think a bigger problem with chivalry is in womens' attitude toward it. When I first met my girlfriend, she would get upset when I did things just to be courteous, like opening doors, paying for food, etc. She had a bit of a hostile attitude toward that stuff because she thought that guys did it because they thought of women as needing the help rather than because they were trying to be respectful/nice. After I realized how she felt, I explained to her why I do those things, and now she lets me be a chivalrous as I please.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Hmm...browser problems...dup post...sorry
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

I think that modern dating has killed chivalry, well maybe not killed, but knocked out, stomped a couple times!! Its like if your too nice to women they kinda see it as a weekness, and not a challange or maybe i just need to move outta cali

girls like it now adays when you ignore them. dont hit on them, hit on every girl but the one you like. it will drive her nuts.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I still stand by what I said here before:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...ry#post3361886

And for the record, there is no second date for an idiot that does not at least hold a door for my girls. They have come to expect it to happen, and if it doesn't they just don't take calls. I think things are starting to come around a bit, not much, but some...

Quote Originally Posted by donaldparkerii
    I think that modern dating has killed chivalry, well maybe not killed, but knocked out, stomped a couple times!! Its like if your too nice to women they kinda see it as a weekness, and not a challange or maybe i just need to move outta cali
    I see your point, but think about it like this: If you take the initiative and do for her the things that YOU THINK SHE DESERVES.....not needs.....she will respond positively and you will become a king among common men. You obviously do not have a confidence problem, so being that man should not be a too much of a jump for you. I say give it a try, and do with intent (not attitude, intent) and if you have to explain yourself once, or even twice.....so be it, but you will never be forgotten for what you do.

Chivalry is a commitment, you either do it, and live it.....or you are not even in the ball park. And trust E, the female gender will respond kindly to your actions. I ALWAYS short grab a females hand when I shake hands with the gentler gender, and yo should see the reactions that I get. Seriously, the next time a woman stretches out her hand just simply grab her fingers, putting your thumb right below the main nuckle.....turn her hand so that her fingers are pointing in a demure, downward fashion.....look her square in the eye, nod your head just a tad, smile and say "Hello, nice to meet you." Now, THAT is a first impression worthy of a true gentleman, and that will forever be remembered.

Yes. Women killed it.
    I know they secretly still love it and I've been raised quite chivalric. I've never had it annoy anyone but like ondreadon said, the dumb ones see it as a weakness. They don't realize most guys shy away from that cause they don't want to feel 'weenie' in the presence of other men. It takes guts and maturity to do it anyway, not weakness. If you're too prideful to raise the kids while the man works, your problem is not with chivalry.

Yes, Chivalry is dead. I shot him.

no - it's a lifestyle. If it's you, it's how you do.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

ok... here's my story.

I was out and about and there were two women - I mean, older ****ing women, not little girls under the age of 24 or so - and they were but a few steps behind me. The door was the type that swung forward, so I went ahead, and held it out for them.

One of them just looks at me and states quickly "How weak of you."

Mind you. I'm thinking... what's weak of me? Holding a door open enough so that both of them could walk through when I noticed neither was really paying them any attention - nope, I wasn't ogling them - or that I should have been some thug wannabe and let the door pimp slap her on the jaw... hard.

With that said, I just nodded and said "Being nice to idiots sometimes doesn't pay. Next door might be in your skull if you're not paying attention. Be thankful I noticed and actually decided to be nicer than you are smart. Have a nice day."

Some women don't deserve chivalry. It has nothing to do with being nice because we want sex, or because we think you're the weaker sex. It's all about a male being nice enough to do something that extends beyond his typical egocentric self. And yet, on some wenches, it's wasted.

Oh well, I got a good laugh on her look... said "Priceless look." and walked away. Seriously... stupidity knows no bounds. Next door will still be held though by me. That's deeply instilled in me, despite occasional run-ins with the aforementioned idiocy as such.

ill always hold the door open, but i normally enter first and hold it from there. And the whole walking on the right side of the sidewalk thing, that gets some wierd looks.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    Yes. Women killed it.
    No, lame ass "Ugh, ugh males" did...
    I know they secretly still love it and I've been raised quite chivalric.
    Is that really a word??
    I've never had it annoy anyone but like ondreadon said, the dumb ones see it as a weakness. They don't realize most guys shy away from that cause they don't want to feel 'weenie' in the presence of other men.
    No again, if done with intent it will wreak havoc on the surrounding lesser males.....I guarantee it!
    It takes guts and maturity to do it anyway, not weakness. If you're too prideful to raise the kids while the man works, your problem is not with chivalry.
    Amen blalla...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    ok... here's my story...
    It is my experience that if you hold a door, look at said stranger, gesteur with your free hand, smile with eye contact, and say something polite like "Ma'am" (in the case of an ELDERLY lady), "Ladies" (in the case of multiple ladies), or "After you..." you will not get that response...

It's how you do it that matters. It's about action when it comes to women....."I love you." means what.....who cares about that argument NOW... If I am yelling it at the top of my voice and using it in a fight it now has become a sword to pierce her heart, not an endearing term of affection. Let's look at the endearment "cupcake", are you calling her a fatty? Words are one thing.....I keep saying this and I am not sure that anyone EVER gets it but, I'll repeat it hear:

If a picture is worth a THOUSAND WORDS.....what is one simple action worth...?"

Food for thought.

Sadly... that's what I did.

Held the door, didn't stare, motioned forward with my hand, and even nodded my head.

Point to me where the **** I was wrong. I dare you.

The woman was ignorant. Take her side, you join her too on the ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich

If a picture is worth a THOUSAND WORDS.....what is one simple action worth...?"

a single picture is 1fps

life basically moves at 60fps

a simple action that takes 7 seconds...
    7*60*1000= 420,000 words.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    a single picture is 1fps

life basically moves at 60fps

a simple action that takes 7 seconds...
    7*60*1000= 420,000 words.
    ...I think you wanted this thread...

pop!
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Point to me where the **** I was wrong. I dare you.
    Naw, not taking sides.....Hell, I wasn't there, and it sound as if you did your best to be courteous. Looks like you ran into a few of the minority of ignorant *****es that still plague society...

Ignorance exists. I ran into it.

It won't be stopping me tomorrow. But if I see a chick like today get a door slammed into their face, I'll understand if it were her.