Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: damn that's sweet

resolved

http://gizma.com/ <http://gizma.com/>

came accross this the other day

apparantly the guy who did this is 19
    <kinda depressing>

Rip off

However cool it looks it is a complete rip off of 2advanced, maybe in a subtle way but it is a defiite rip off, Look at the grid and the draggable boxes, the background colour changes and the shapes used, it is alright to take elements from a site to learn from, but this guy as blatantly ripped it off.

I think u're talking out of u're rectal cavity mate...
    I've seen rip offs of 2 advanced - a fair few

this is not

Anyway as I understand it, that debate has been fully exhausted on this board already..

get a life

Re: Rip off

Originally posted by Mccormack
    However cool it looks it is a complete rip off of 2advanced

NOT AT ALL. This site is way cool. Its small, compact, succinct, easy to navigate, has a cool feel and a slick loop. Cheers! Jeers!

speak intelligently

If you want to discuss if a site is borrowing something try and make clear points. Using drag and drop windows is not a rip off. using graphics is not a rip off. Having music is not a rip off. try and point out a specific graphic or maybe if they used the same loop of music.

Re: speak intelligently

Originally posted by Xerobot
    If you want to discuss if a site is borrowing something try and make clear points. Using drag and drop windows is not a rip off. using graphics is not a rip off. Having music is not a rip off. try and point out a specific graphic or maybe if they used the same loop of music.
    thought i'd point out.... well said xerobot. 2a has been discussed to the point of annoyance. i'd rather not post b/c i think i've said my peace concerning this topic.

hey Mccormack.
    do a quick search on 2advanced and you'll see what we are talking about. it's all good. let's keep it clean people.

Mccormack: You are gravely mistaken if you think this site is a rip. Please dont make any more newbie accusations.

8minus8: Will this ever end 8minus8?
    [Edited by xeon on 12-15-2000 at 02:43 PM]

ok, this not another 2A rip off, no way! So what if there are dragable windows, they are handled in a completely different way here, and changeable backgrounds? I don't think 2a invented them did he....?

sure mr joshua might be responsible for popularising this 'look' but to say this is a blatant rip off... crapola man.

i think this guy has talent by the bucket load.

Look listen to me, I am not saying it is a direct rip off, I went all the way through the site and there is some really good stuff in there, but you have got to look at the whole picture.

I know drag and drop has been used on many sites and I am not pointing out small stuff. I know all designers work through inspiration, I've done mood boards, and I know it helps but look.

Take a look at designinsites.com, a site by Eric Jordan, and compare this and the two 2 advanceed sites. Ignore the mood created by colour and look at the similaraites in Layout and functionality.

If there were one or two similarities I would understand it but there are not.

I know you might not want to Humble Pie onthis but if you can't see it your blind.

McCormack
    England

Originally posted by xeon

8minus8: Will this ever end 8minus8?
    hey xeon. doesn't seem likely. i might just have to look the other way when i see another post of this nature. well...maybe not. i have to defend graphic design and other designers out there. it is my duty! i just watched the messenger: joan of arc. that explains it.

i'm quoting myself here.
    'graphic design existed before flash, and will continue to exist after flash'

voila! the end.

Thank God It's Friday

intrigued

I read the posts in this thread and was surprised by the unusual amount of animosity. I checked out the site and I have to say that, yes, he most certainly did take some pieces from Mr. Jordan.

But did anyone read any of the text on the site (does anyone ever)?

This guy is 19 years old and a student in England. Now he may have taken some design parts from here and there but what's impressive is that he's 19 YEARS OLD and is obviously good.

With this kind of talent, it won't be long before people on this post are accusing others of stealing from him. What a talent.

Can't we all just get along...... I know I'm just a new guy, but no matter who got ideas from who or who ripped who off.... there still remains one important fact...... We're sittin' here bull****ing along while other people are creating stuff..... Rip off or no rip off.... dude still sat there and created his whole site... What's that number????? 100 hours spent on the drawing board for every 60 seconds of animation.......

Hmmmm...... just a little food for thought....

Gratz

8minus8: that movie sucked!

i would echo what friday wrote, this guy obviously has talent up the schnoz, he will go far.

Re: intrigued

Originally posted by friday04
    I checked out the site and I have to say that, yes, he most certainly did take some pieces from Mr. Jordan.

What are they? Why can't anyone say what it is? FOR EXAMPLE: When you read Jordan's text there is 'arrows' that scroll it up and down. Gizma uses 'plus' and 'minu's signs. What's similar? Scrolling text? Scrolling text has been around for a long time. So, we can throw that out.

Produce a constructive argument for discussion otherwise I have to assume you, as the poster in this board, are ripping off previous discussions. see. lots of smiles.

Originally posted by aversion
    8minus8: that movie sucked!

yeah i was a little disappointed with 'the messenger'. i caught it in the middle. luc beson has done better. i love 'fifth element'.

Wichser

Red face hmmmm

I liked the site even if some things were taken from 2Advanced I wouldn'T go as far as saying it was a complete Rip off.
    But cut the kid some slack at least its complete and available. For being into it for two years he did some good work so props still from my side .

iCEBERG

hello all.

nic checking in. (gizma.com)

are people referring to the old 2advanced?

the gizma.com launch was september, the [new 2advanced] launch was november.

p.s. we have very different sites.
    thanks for the kind words =)

nic_
    [Edited by gizma on 12-16-2000 at 01:59 PM]

A RIP OFF?

I hate the design community sometimes. Can't you celebrate the fact that this person was able to create something that used elements from another design and was able to create his own expression of it. Damn, who doesn't look at other peoples ideas and borrow from that idea and create something else. Its not like he made an exact copy of 2A. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT 2A DIDNT BORROW SOME DESIGN ELEMENTS FROM SOMEONE ELSE!!! People are hippocrits!!!!! Instead of of being jealous that he created something that used borrowed elements of a design, we should give him props for being able to do it and do it in a different way. I love these lame graphic designers out there that call themselves "Graphic Artists". Hey next time skip out on your design magazines and books and visiting websites looking for inspiration or ideas, come up with your own original ideas. When you do that your a "Graphic Artists"!

Whether people conciously borrow designs or not, this is what design is all about. Otherwise it would be called ART NOT DESIGN. Hey don't use flash or any other tool, why don't you go and make your own tools. Don't use stock graphics or photos, go make your own. Give me a break, where do you think Macromedia got ideas to make Flash? on their own? I think not, they didn't invent vector graphics, so should they have made a entirely new graphic format or do what they did, reverse engineer from other peoples tools, and made a new product that was better to use that everyone here enjoys! WHO's the original designer of 2A anyway? is it designers from designsites.com or Mr. Jordan? So are they ripping each other off?

Senior Moderator

Re: Excuse me

Originally posted by Mccormack
    Excuse me ****wit, don't start gettin fresh, I just made a comment about a site and I don't want a ****ing prick like you cussing me back, I never directed it at you, what I did was make an observation about how a site had ripped another one off.

You Twat

I have seen loads like you that comlpetely rip off 2advanced, image wise, but this one makes subtle rip offs of all versions of the 2advanced site, and if you can't see it ****wit then your as blind as you are stupid.

You ****ing twat

please dont use language like this here on flashkit, this just shows your maturity, you are being watched very closely!

With regards to this matter, i saw this site before it was released by nic and believe me it is no rip-off you maybe jealous or something, these two sites dont even look alike!

Thank God It's Friday
    What he took was the DESIGN, not the action. And he didn't take much. You have to understand that I think this person is very, very good. But some of the design pieces are directly influenced by Eric Jordan.

For example the gray rectangles that slide in from the left look very similar to 2advanced. He uses the "flashing" boxes as items appear which is one of the main design features in 2advanced.

But this isn't really necessary to talk about. If you can't see the influences on Gizmo then you probably won't see them. And, again, I'm very impressed with his abilities.