A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: damn that's sweet

Re: intrigued

Originally posted by friday04
    This guy is 19 years old and a student in England. Now he may have taken some design parts from here and there but what's impressive is that he's 19 YEARS OLD and is obviously good.

With this kind of talent, it won't be long before people on this post are accusing others of stealing from him. What a talent.
    yeah - and Eric is 22, whats your point?

look - I'm sick of this crap. The site is blue and has draggable boxes - there, rip off - is that what makes you happy?

jjjjjeeeeeeeeesssh!

Oh, and did you know that eye4u has text? so, that makes them a ripoff of nrg.

ridiculous? yes.

so - Eric used draggable boxes - now NO ONE can use them?
    GM uses tires, so does Ford and Chrysler - who's ripping off who? I think when we're talking about a pretty darn common element, it isn't a rip off.

total unique look.
    total unique atmosphere.
    total unique soundtrack, interface, presentation, structure.

and please, no more 2a ripoff threads.

Are swear words banned in here? maybe make "2a and ripoff" a swear word so none of us "old folk" have to sit through another one of these

thanks!

hey nic, kudos to you, it's a great site.

check out http://home.snafu.de/buster/ for another great site with original design!

Smile good work...

Don't listen to any of these thick headed comments Nic...your work is great! You are an influence to all just as 2A is to many as well. You use a futuristic/techno style like many people do ...Keep up the good work..we will soon be hearing ***holes like the guy upstairs saying "he's a cop off of GIZMO" kinda of smacking himself in the face. The future is up to us,,,Once again-keepUP the good work...fyoucher@email.com
    http://members.aol.com/fyoucher/index.html

Originally posted by aversion
    hey nic, kudos to you, it's a great site.

check out http://home.snafu.de/buster/ for another great site with original design!

i'd have to agree with you aversion. this is a great site. i especially like the navigation and the transitions. kind of long both worth it.

My site has text in it, does it mean I ripped 2advanced?

Originally posted by xeon
    My site has text in it, does it mean I ripped 2advanced?
    lol. so true xeon. that's how bad it's getting.

Well... I think this is one of those topics that anything more that is added is a waste of time; since I've been a member here at flashkit the subject of "ripping off 2advanced" has been at the top of the list on a seemingly daily basis.. who knows why people get so touchy.

But basically I don't think this 2advanced site is worth even a fraction of the attention it's getting. God knows why people like it- it's pretentious, it's cheesy, and it's a chore to navigate through.
    Why haven't people realized that draggable windows are not a logical part of flash UI design? Why do people favor the most convoluted, arbitrary approaches toward content? I don't know. go look at http://www.dennisinter.com
    or something.. (there's plenty of ACTUAL GOOD DESIGN work out there) dennis interactive is just as "stylish" as 2advanced but it presents its content in a way that you can actually take it in!! wow! what a concept, right?
    HUH???
    sorry just my opinion.
    And believe me I understand that some of you are very stubborn with your opinions, and will ultimately disagree with me on this.. but that's not my problem
    Andrew

God you people, I just can't be bothered with places where credit is given where it is not due. Web Design is easy, anyone who makes out that building a site with HTML, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver are idiots. It is very easy to learn and very easy to do, what makes a good web designer is not someone being able to make something wizz across a screen, anyone can learn ActionScript, it has to be the simplest language going, but it is being able to design something fresh and new.

I hate discussing things with Americans, your so up your own arse with your views and you incompetent ways of doing things, just look at your general election, and the world laughs at you.

What can you expect from a nation without culture, but a nation with copied design.

People read what I said, take a look at the two 2 advanced sites (sorry the first one I never realised about release dates, fairplay on the spot), take a look at designinsites.com and look.

Fairplay to the kid for only being 19, and I know this discussion has been made before loads, but it is worth pointing out that although designers are all influenced by other work (Eric Jordan included), fek I am influenced by his work too, that it juist looks like this kid has just sat down with Eric Jordans work and tried to build something with the same effect but has ended up being over influenced.

Pete the Englishman

i'm english mate. I've spent 4 years in the states and, while there is a lot to be said for the reality of the stereotypical american, in my opinion there for more people out there with creative ability and instinct than there are in this country. If any people have their head up their own a*** it's the french (sorry frenchies ) and the english come a close second.

i have spent years in new york and there is nowhere in england that's as creatively fertile, you wouldn't believe some of the designers out there. Saying that they are a nation without culture is a pathetic bigotted remark, all you see is disney and macdonalds, i doubt you have the first idea. America has made a bigger contribution to fine and fringe arts in the last 20 years than any other country, nevermind the 'popular culture' influences - no matter how much we all 'hate' it.

As for your remarkably stupid remarks about web design... if it's so easy why is your web site so boring? And get a preloader. There is no-one here that agrees with you for a second that gizma sat down with eric's site and tried to design something with the same look. Influences are one thing, but you're suggesting is BS. As for designinsights, you know it's designed by eric jordan don't you?

i assume you posted the above message to annoy people, to provoke a reaction, no-one can be so stupid as to present your remarks and mean them can they?

I admit that my message was there to part provoke reaction, but only due to the hostility that I have received when I never initially made any comment aimed directly at a user of this site (unless gizmo is). What I did is contribute to a strain of thought, as to what you say are biggoted remarks, I beg to differ, seems that while you have been living in America you have forgotten the humour which makes us so British, tell me when your going for citizenship and I'll send you a card.

Also the site of mine which you also make remarks about:
    1. I never said I was a good designer, I am new to design and am learning about it all the time. I have come into this from the outside, I am not a computer person, nor am I designer, but I have stumbled upon this industry and therefore have the unbiast outsiders view.

2. That site is really old, I am currently under contract for one of the biggest design consultants in the country, and have also been offered other contracts further afield. I am still not saying I am a good designer, what I am saying is that I understand the elements of design and branding and am able to deliver them better than others yet not so good as others.

With regards to my comments about web design being easy, if any of you reckon that the following packages are hard your full of ****: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash etc... These programmes are very easy to learn, the real skill comes from being able to design. You can design web sites and not know how to use these programmes, the point being is that it comes down to design, any old mug can be employed to be a worker monkey.

The hostility this place shows is very typical of the Internet business. The biggest tossers I have met in my time are web designers, (I am not referring to any of you directly). Web designers have what is deemed a coll job, but are eventually going to become ten a penny, it is only those with original design skills that will come through in the long run.

People have mixed feelings on 2advanced, and I agree they are very good sites, but yet they are not the best out there, and for people to think that when I say that Gizmo ripped it off that I meant little things like draggable navigation and such, just shows how ignorant you are. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I have showed the sites to my colleagues, and here we had mixed views here too.

I apologise to anyone who took offense to my remarks about Americans, I just thought the Englih users amongst this site would get the joke and laugh with me.

hmmm, to be honest with you i have seen little or no hostility on these boards in the past few months, maybe it's because you used a lot of swear words?

Originally posted by Mccormack
    I hate discussing things with Americans, your so up your own arse with your views and you incompetent ways of doing things, just look at your general election, and the world laughs at you.

What can you expect from a nation without culture, but a nation with copied design.

Pete the Englishman
    i don't know anyone who would read this as a joke man.

i think your comments are all valid in one way or another man, it's just that you put people on the defensive straight off.

if you relax and stop swearing you'll find flashkit to be the best resource for flash on the net.

Smile This has got out of hand

I'm quite embarresed to be of the same nationality as you Mcormack...

since when did this become an issue of Nationality?

By your standards the whole design community is a bunch of talentless rip off merchents, do you seriously think that?

but hey, that's enough out me ( respect 2 the masses )

Chill people...

Okay - let's wrap this up. Dreamweaver, Flash etc ARE easy to learn and it's all too easy to put "Proficient in Flash" on your CV today. The facts are 99.9% of designers on the web have NO design talent whatsoever - they just use flash and crappy java applets cuz they think they're being cutting edge and providing design that people want to see. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Concetrate on layout and traditional graphic design and if the use of Flash is justified THEN use it - there are still plenty of superb sites out there written without FLash that look better than most of the crap sites that get posted on Flashkit - Sorry but it's true!

That said however, the site in question (gizma) is very good and NOT a rip off. Something I've learnt from working with morons in the past is that no matter how much you may TRY to copy a design, if you're a s**t designer you'll still cock it up! Gizma.com is a very smart and well designed site - nuff said.

And for the record I, along with others, am getting a little sick of hearing about Eric Jordon - he's a very talented individual but he is NOT a design god.

hey Gambini, nice site you have there, i love the simplicity of it and, for once, nice music.

The Death In My Dreams Thing- how the HELL did he do it?

How did he get the ribcage rotating like that?!

Look at the filesize of it, he must have just used keyframed JPEGs

Let's Cut the Crap

I think that I can speak for a lot of people when I say I am tired of hearing about rip-offs. As for 2advanced.. I have only seen one.. ONE! and it was basically a tweaked out screenshot of Jordan's site. I love his design, but if Mr. Jordan puts a black line on his site... Does it mean if anyone else puts one on it is a rip-off? If he uses a blue background can no body else use a blue background without being accused of being an uncreative Jordan imitator. Design styles move with the times. I see somethings that Jordan is doing with his hyper graphic backgrounds that places like Vir2l.com and all the members of submethod.com have been doing for a long time. We all are a giant family an we constantly are building from each other, inspiring each other. If we build upon each others design we can only go up. As for the site, I see no resemblence. And remeber, Imitation is the highest form of flatery. -- phreak out

my two bobs worth

Taking from one source is plagurism
    Taking from many sources is research

why?

To the dumb bloke who had the nerve to criticize the gizma site, go work on your own site. It doesn't even load on my computer after three tries and over a span of 30 minutes. You didn't even title the document, or remove the stock DW tags. If learning all these programs is so easy, then why don't you start??!!

djKale

why all the lo-blows?

there's nothing wrong with the site, yes, it does give out 2A feel, there are some elements in design such as flashing borders [when setting up] and draggies, but hey, it's not a rip off... if you ask me it gives me more of designinsite feel than 2A... anyhoo, nothing we'vent seen before... maybe that's why..

BTW gizma, good stuff man.