dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Less than 5 days now until voting...

Less than 5 days now until voting...

... and there's still a lot of controversy over the electronic voting machines.

Seriously, it's been years now since this technology was introduced. How hard could it be to make it work?

Hell, give any of us here a touch-screen tablet pc SDK and I'm sure we could come up with something better. I think that should be a contest like the Netflix prize.

I heard on the Daily Show that they had to shorten someone's name because it was too long.

And trade secrets my ass. They must be really overcomplicating the process if the names and a corresponding value for position aren't stored in a nice little XML file that gets loaded, ideally, from one central location in the state so it can easily be updated.

Anyone here ever have any problems with the electronic voting machines (if your state is using them)?

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    They worked fine when I used them last time !
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    I heard on the Daily Show that they had to shorten someone's name because it was too long.
    Yep, Jim Webb's name is cut off because they increased the font size

Election officials attribute the mistake to an increase in the type size on the ballot. Although the larger type is easier to read, it also unintentionally shortens the longer names on the summary page of the ballot.

Thus, Democratic candidate Webb will appear with his first name and nickname only -- or "James H. 'Jim' " -- on summary pages in Alexandria, Falls Church and Charlottesville, the only jurisdictions in Virginia that use balloting machines manufactured by Hart InterCivic of Austin.

"We're not happy about it," Webb spokeswoman Kristian Denny Todd said last night, adding that the campaign learned about the problem a week ago and has since been in touch with state election officials. "I don't think it can be remedied by Election Day. Obviously, that's a concern."

Every candidate on Alexandria's summary page has been affected in some way by the glitch. Even if candidates' full names appear, as is the case with Webb's Republican opponent, incumbent Sen. George F. Allen, their party affiliations have been cut off.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...301178_pf.html

It just defies reason... These people have all types of government money to get this right and they completely f*** it up. It's not even like there's an election every month, either. They've had plenty of time to test this and work out any kinks.

The debate isn't over whether they work or not, it's whether the machines, the companies that make them, and the people who run them can be trusted or not.

I vote no.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    I vote no.
    That's funny, it registered as a yes vote

Some more voting machine fun

Push button on the back and vote as many times as you want
    http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_306015536.html
    OAKLAND Voting machines sold to 21 different counties in California could allow people to vote more than once, state election officials warn in a notice to counties.

The notice went out on Monday, just eight days before the election. It tells election officials to keep a close eye on voting machines sold by Oakland-based Sequoia Voting Systems because a yellow button on the back of each machine can be pushed and potentially allow someone to vote more than once.

The yellow button is only supposed to be pushed if the machine needs to be reset. But, someone could reach or walk behind the machine, push it, and vote again.

And they couldn't have hidden the button better / used a key system? Someone please take the government contracts away from these clowns.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    And they couldn't have hidden the button better / used a key system? Someone please take the government contracts away from these clowns.
    maybe we should take the clowns who award these contracts out of the government.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Four more days...