dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Another laptop thread, but this one is a bit different

Another laptop thread, but this one is a bit different

Hey guys, guess what? I'm in search of a new laptop. As I need it pretty soon, I can't just order it via internet, so I have to look for options in my local marketplace (Ecuador), so I know I won't find much.

Now, I'm pretty much behind in hardware stuff, so I have a few questions, hope you can help me:

Regarding macbooks pro:
    do people still have lots of problems with them? is it a good option? (I know it'd probably be overpriced, but over here, everything is)
    Do you recommend bootcamp, or is it unstable? I need windows in my laptop :P
    Are macbooks pro, Vista ready????

Considering windows vista is approaching, I guess I need as much ram and harddrive as possible, but, what about the processor? Do I go for 64bit, what's that core duo deal ? what processor should I be looking for?

If you can help me with any info, I'd appreciate it a lot I'm a newbie with this things
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

If you can afford it, definitely go for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Core Duo 2 (both dual core processors). You'll thank yourself. As you'll see in other threads, we're a bit divided on processor manufacturers. I personally prefer AMD's stuff, so I'd suggest going with their 64 X2 processor line. Dual core is what it sounds like. It's like having two processors for the price of one really expensive processor . It splits the work load.

I don't know much about Macs, so I'll leave that up to the other guys here.

btw, keep in mind some software (like adobe AE I think or some adobe line) doesn't support AMD processor. Weird, eh?

I kinda need a 17' screen laptop that replaces my desktop. Ecuador is going to have problems with electricity, so I may not have electricity a few hours a day for a few weeks, isn't that nice? so I have to go for a battery powered pc, therefore the laptop
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by shell2006
    btw, keep in mind some software (like adobe AE I think or some adobe line) doesn't support AMD processor. Weird, eh?
    erm... I'm going to need proof on that.

*types while using AMD processor and Photoshop CS2 in the background.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    I kinda need a 17' screen laptop that replaces my desktop. Ecuador is going to have problems with electricity, so I may not have electricity a few hours a day for a few weeks, isn't that nice? so I have to go for a battery powered pc, therefore the laptop
    Uh, a 17" screen is going to drain the battery pretty quick. You're better off with something you can buy extra battery cells for.

You could consider going outside when the power's out, reading a book? Going for a run?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Uh, a 17" screen is going to drain the battery pretty quick. You're better off with something you can buy extra battery cells for.

You could consider going outside when the power's out, reading a book? Going for a run?
    true :P

well, it'd be a good idea, but considering that electricity may be gone for 3 to 10 hours, maybe everyday for a few weeks, it'd be impossible to just go do something else

So far then, I see there's no strong suggestion to go for a mac, so i guess a normal laptop will be
    Sponsored by your mom.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I have a 17" screen and if I turn the screen brightness down all the way then my battery lasts about an hour and a half and that is after adding the second hard drive. It has an AMD 64 bit processor and I am running the entire Adobe CS2 suite...it doesn't have after effects but Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign all work wonderfully. I too prefer AMD mostly because you can typically get a faster processor for your money and I haven't ever had a bad experience with one.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Dang

My toshiba lasts 4 hours on low power 2 on high I can stop complaiining now.

_marlo machka
    I use bootcamp on my iMac and I can't recommend it enough. Totally replaced my PC. Games and apps run at full speed, keyboard, inbuilt camera & mic all work fine (including msn)... only problem I have is when I turn on the computer, if I don't hold down option, it chooses Windows as the default instead of Mac os x. But that could just be a setting somewhere.

In any case, lepoard will be released soon and that has a built in bootcamp.

I don't think his pockets are that deep.

I just bought a Macbook pro, with student discount (get a friend to do it!) wasn't that bad!
    or just get a macbook, they're still pretty good!

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    Dang

My toshiba lasts 4 hours on low power 2 on high I can stop complaiining now.
    How big is the screen? I have never seen a 17" go that long. Mine went for about 2 1/2 hours and then I added the 2nd hard drive and upgraded the memory. I also don't put it in full low power mode. I don't like sacrificing performance so I have all of the performance options on high power while the screen is the only thing that I turn down.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by okdust
    I use bootcamp on my iMac and I can't recommend it enough. Totally replaced my PC. Games and apps run at full speed, keyboard, inbuilt camera & mic all work fine (including msn)... only problem I have is when I turn on the computer, if I don't hold down option, it chooses Windows as the default instead of Mac os x. But that could just be a setting somewhere.

In any case, lepoard will be released soon and that has a built in bootcamp.
    Can you post a little more about your experience with it? Thinking of getting my parents a new PC for Christmas, and dual-booting an iMac seemed like a good idea. (Dad works on mainframes, Mom got enamored at the Apple store.) Has it been stable? Any compatibility issues? How's patching? etc.?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

17 inch widescreen if you must know It's a pain in low lighting keep processes simple work on text documents. I run it bare bones when I have to run battery no cd/dvd
    no vids no games nothing that would tax the processor.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Can you post a little more about your experience with it? Thinking of getting my parents a new PC for Christmas, and dual-booting an iMac seemed like a good idea. (Dad works on mainframes, Mom got enamored at the Apple store.) Has it been stable? Any compatibility issues? How's patching? etc.?
    This thread might help a little.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=703421

p.s. Last time I went in the Mac store, they had one of their units running Windows through Boot Camp, and one running Windows in Parallels -- seemed fine to me. Whenever the next OSx version comes out, I'll be picking up a Merom MBP to run OSx, XP and Linux.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

so, I finally bought one. After visiting all stores for a whole morning, the best I could get was a Dell Inspiron 6400, core 2 duo.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...0hi&s=bsd&fb=1

The price for the configuration I got is about $1100 in the dell.com site, but I had to pay $1700 for it.

I wanted a macbook pro, but the new ones arrive here in december, so it's probably going to be my xmas gift, and there was no stock for the old ones. That's what you get for living in Ecuador, ha!
    Sponsored by your mom.

buy extra batteries...

If you have the serious cash get a home generator.