dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loading a FLV file into Flash?

loading a FLV file into Flash?

I'm trying to load a FLV file into Flash (swf) file and it is only loading the audio, and not the video.
    This is the code I have entered:

nc=new NetConnection();
    nc.connect(null);

ns=new NetStream(nc);
    my_video.attachVideo(ns);
    ns.setBufferTime(0);
    ns.play("sampleFLV.flv");

And the page can be seen at http://www.winkletwebdesign.com/temp022wt/

You'll see that only the music starts playing and the video can not be seen. I downloaded a shareware flv player and have verified that there is video on this flv file so I don't think the problem is with the flv file.

Any help or suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

p.s. I'm using Flash MX 2004
    Last edited by winklet; 11-07-2006 at 11:32 AM.

Did you place a video object on the stage? Does it have an instance name of "my_video"?

I put an empty movie clip on the stage and named it my_video. Is there something else I should have done?

Yep. For Flash video you use a video object rather than a movie clip. Open your library and click the little button with a down arrow on the right side. Select New Video and then drag that onto the stage and give it the instance name of my_video. That should do it.

Yes! Thank you thank you thank you! The video is loading now. The only problem is the size. it looks like I can manually change the dimensions of the video object, but is there any way to dynamically change them based on the actual size of the video?

Creating video symbol at runtime?

Quote Originally Posted by rdoyle720
    Yep. For Flash video you use a video object rather than a movie clip. Open your library and click the little button with a down arrow on the right side. Select New Video and then drag that onto the stage and give it the instance name of my_video. That should do it.
    Is there a way to do this at runtime?