dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: learning flex 2

learning flex 2

i have bought flex 2.0 training from the source and also as 3.0 cookbook to learn the new as 3.0 and start using flex as it seems its intended to help with the type of flash i design (database driven applications, like shopping carts etc.)
    and im wondering if theres any reason to start teaching myself cf now also. i already know php and use mysql but i wasnt sure if there was any advantages when using flex that are only available using cf instead of php or asp

so i guess thats a yes.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass
    so i guess thats a yes.
    No....that's a link that might help you decide. Surely learning any of the Flex supported server side approaches can't be a bad thing but do you HAVE to? Only you can decide. You and I have the same taste in code but I personally feel the need to enable Data Services and you feel the need to bring on Coldfusion. We use what we need based on what we like...what it supports and what we are coding.

eventho im new to flex im trying to figure out what can be done with it.
    it seems to have a custom application youd have to create all your own components and re skin everything, or it will have the same basic look/function of a flex built application.
    Like my first project i wanted to create a small online store. which in itself doesnt seem like its very difficult, but to make it fully animated and dynamic i dont know if i should even bother using flex. cheap example is vestalwatch.com
    i think that i might be better off using flash to design/develope this

Well....the SDK is freeley available and there are two example eshops included...one a full flash Eshop and one a hybrid (They are both also online from the Flex Developer site in "Samples"). You might be surprised just what Flex can do once you view those.

As for Coldfusion if I were a betting man I would bet Adobe/Flex would prefer the Flex Data Services first, Coldfusion second and the other server side methods (like in the RIA SDK) last if they were ranking worth. Like you my entire Flash existence has relied on PHP/ASP/CGI/ASP/XML and etc. I never once felt I was missing out by not being a Coldusion user. Since getting heavily into Flex this year I do however feel I am missing an experience if I do not resolve myself to bring on the Data Services simply because it was coded from the ground up for the purpose. I still do not feel this way about Coldfusion. That's me though.

Let me now what you decide on and good luck

yea ive checked out those examples..
    so far the way im looking at flex is say i build a shopping cart application, components etc where i will sell to many diff customers i could build it in flex and then customize the skin css and some animations per client. but if i want to design something totally custom where i wont be editing the application code too much and wont design it similiar to anything else and wont copy it in the future id be better of using flash to design/develope it. or maybe flex is just new and i havent seen too many examples of sites yet to help spark a reason why this is so useful on indivual applications.

With that description.....Flash would be the choice then. Don't forget the two can be combined. Flex is just a choice. Not all Flash users will be Flex users nor should they be.

yea thats what i was thinking.. im going to try and develop a cart in flex where i can easily swap out components and change the look of the site alot. that will be my first project. haha

I hope you're happy drunknbass....after we had this discussion I went ahead and installed the Data Services and I like it so much, my wife may never get my attention again

ive installed it also but havent gotten a chance to work with it.. i was actually under the impression it was used as a middleman to interact with current database setups and make the data usable in a "live" application

For a while now I've been playing with it in the context of a web served (WAMP) device to interact with what I'm used to...MySQL, XML,etc. All is fine and good and I really like it (although on face value that in itself isn't really any different from how I've always done things with Flash on the backend).

The Data Services are turning out to be pretty cool with the extra features not available to me by simply serving a Flex application from a WAMP or production server. Will I ever use any of it in a real world environment being a hobbiest? Probobly not (mainly because I wouldn't meet any of it's capacity planning algorythms as a hobbiest testing code from a locally served...single CPU install on a decent machine but certainly nothing approaching what would be required to sustain a large userbase)....but it is loads of fun....gives me a better understanding of how it works and definitely allows me to fully explore the Flex command set since many of the packages and classes are sticly for FDS2.

I guess what I'm saying is I can certainly see why it's appealing for RIA developers and it's pretty much a fun ride for the hobbiest too. So far I have had nothing but fun. Can it run a cart? Oh yeah it can...a monster one at that

awesome. i will def get into it. i think my flex 2 training book talks about it but i havent really gotten into it yet. im still reading the as 3.0 cookbook which i should be done with in a few days