A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Noob questions.

Noob questions.

Someone posted the below info on a previous thread. I then found the link also posted below while searching google for mobile/flash info.

I need to do a flash lite project for mobiles and I need to be parsing XML in to the swf. Thing is, according to the link below almost no mobiles "support" flash lite 2.1 Im assuming they mean even if you download flash lite 2.10/2.1 the mobile will still not support it?

FL1.1 supports loading data through loadVariables() and loadMovie(). No local data storage.

FL2.0 supports LoadVars(), xml class but not the tcp/ip socket functionality. Also supports shared object for storing small amounts of data on client side.

FL2.1 adds the xml socket

http://www.adobe.com/mobile/supporte.../handsets.html

If this is the case then I guess I may have to convert the XML to a .txt and load that into flash as a safer method?

To be clear, Flash Lite 2.0 can load XML but only over http not tcp/ip. FL2.1 adds the tcp/ip.

BREW and windows mobile phones support 2.1 and there are some Nokia phones near to market that support Flash Lite 2.0.

So..... if a phone thats currently on the market does not support 2.0 then they would not even b able to download and install the mobile flash player 2.0? If so Im guessing that XML feeds into a flash object using 2.0 is not a viable solution yet?

----
    download and install the mobile flash player 2.0?
    ----
    that depends.

Adobe is now providing free downloads of Flash Lite 2.1 for open os like Windows Mobile, Symbian s60 (3rd edition and some 2nd edition phones), and BREW. Both developers and end users alike can install Flash for free on these devices.

However, it would not be possible to update Flash on a closed operating system like Sony Ericsson OSE phones (walkman phones) without SE providing firmware containing Flash Lite 2.1.

---
    If so Im guessing that XML feeds into a flash object using 2.0 is not a viable solution yet?
    ---
    I guess it depends upon where your market is, whether end users have data plans that can load XML feeds, whether that it is cost effective for them to do so considering bandwidth charges, and whether there are enough phone models supporting Flash in a given market to justify the application.

In the US, most of the Flash capable phones are either Windows Mobile or BREW, both supporting FL 2.x. There will be also be some Nokia series 40 phones and SE phones supporting FL1.1. Its hard to say how much market penetration s60 will have in the US or Canada.

In Europe, at the moment, most of the Flash capable phones are Nokia s60 v3 phones with 1.1 or SE phones with 1.1. Of course this will change over time to include more 2.0 and 2.1 phones.