A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bluring a frame?

Bluring a frame?

I am very new to flash and I am trying to make some muzzle flares for an animation attempt. I read a tutorial that told me to make a white blob and outline it with yellow, and once that was done I had to blur it. The tutorial showed a very nice finished result, but the instructions were vague. I don't know how to blur things. I have searched Google, and the flash help documents with no luck.

In flash 8, to apply blur to a movie clip you must click the movie clip, then go to the properties bar...which is at bottom by default, right next to "properties" there is a tab called "Filters". Click the "+" and add blur.

Here's a well known link to create the smoke effect if you have troubles ...it'll step you through adding blur, I believe: http://www.flashvista.com/details/item/2875/

Hope that helped some...

I'm sorry for not mentioning this earlier, but I am using flash mx professional. I don't know if that makes a difference.

There are no bluring filters in MX, i guess the only way to blur your image, is to blur it in photoshop, and then apply it to your movie

ah...well. . . upgrade?

Well, I'm not sure how to do it in MX unless... you blur in photoshop as stated above...Sorry. . . Anyone know how? Possibly through actionscript?...that is, if MX uses actionscript...
    Last edited by mlewek; 11-14-2006 at 12:45 PM.

I know MX uses actionscript, but I didnt know there was a difference between flash and flash mx. What is the difference? I always thought MX was just a name for that version because mabe it was a major improvement from the last version, kind of like how windows has xp. Now I'm confused.

I believe MX is the older version, 2004? before Macromedia got bought out by Adobe a couple years ago when all the programs versions, such as dreamwearver were owned by macromedia and in version MX. . .and you can only call blur filters in F8 or a version that actually is capable of performing them. So, you'll need to figure out another way to achieve the blur effect...or update to the newer program.
    Last edited by mlewek; 11-14-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Well I decided to get flash 8, and it works fine now. I never knew until yesterday that flash got taken over by another company.

Hehe yeah, Adobe.