A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [DISC] AS3 Game Development Kit

[DISC] AS3 Game Development Kit

I'm beginning work on a kit for game development that will be half OS and half for $ale- the latter half hopefully deployed as an Apollo app depending on the project's natural timeline.

The OS part:
    Physics engine
    Motion libraries
    AI frameworks
    Abstract Game datatypes( levels, score, timer etc.)
    All built into a unified event system

The *software* part($$):
    A level editor
    A motion builder
    A character builder/animator
    Drag and drop physics simulation
    AI editor
    Generic Games CMS

The general idea, having worked at a game development firm, is to break up the work into the parts that it gets broken up into anyway: game design / game programming. But insomuch offer a uniform means to integrate the two.

The *software* aspect will be very graphically oriented and designed for users who have no programming experience- but will create objects that tie in to the OS game dev framework.

I'd like to know a few things:
    1. If you work at a game dev firm, does this seem like it fits your work flow?
    2. What would be a reasonable price, given the assumption that the grahical editors are commercial quality applications?
    3. Would you be interested in working on a project like this in a user-oriented capacity? (writing tutorials/faq's/ux ideology)
    4. Would you be interested in working on this in a graphical capacity? (design/redesign)
    5. What suggestions might you have?
    6. If this is something you'd use, either as a developer or game designer, what would you like to see that isn't listed?

Thanks!!

Student
    does your engine and the tools work all together with adobe flash? or is it something that only runs on windows not in a browser?

I like the idea of splitting the tools into different tools/ applications- gives it several advantages compared to a 1 complete tool solution. That way you could also release the tools time after time each of them as soon as they are stable.

$$: depends on what your solution offers,- what other contributers offer (worse or better) and it supports the plattforms I desire. Support would be nice as well- I´m not willing to learn another tool that doesn´t have a propper documentation (or support if needed).

anyway before I write any further please hand out some more info,- any screenshots, concepts or technical info (sys requirements, features, OS, flash?)

This is very much the collection of information phase, so no screenshots yet. The whole of it will be AS3 and the software will be deployed (probably 9-10 months+ from now) as to run in adobe's forthcoming apollo runtime... which will be platform independent (well, for windows/osx/linux) and allow much-needed(for this project) access to the user's file system.

I anticipate 2-3 months of research and ux design parallel with the os framework development followed by ~8 to 9 months dev time/user testing et al on the graphical editors etc.

The whole thing is very much a labor of love and as such, I'll undoubtedly spend entirely too long on the physics engine/etc when I could use an existing open source option.

hth

6 - i would use the physics.

Good luck, sounds like a lot of work though. I couldn't even imagine how to start something like that. You working in a team? It seems like a massive load of work
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

1. Yes. Anything to get designers the hell out of the code
    2. Not really the place to discuss money mate, if it does all it's meant to then selling it to design agencies directly rather than the world and his dog would mean a decent return I would have thought.
    6. Anything that makes life easier

Squize.

@mr_malee--> It will be a tremendous amount of work, but it's stuff I'm interested in and I've got some talented contributors to help me stay on track.

@squize--> thanks! yeah, i didn't expect a price amount in response to #2 (haha, i said number 2) i was hoping those familiar with game dev might have an idea of their company's budget for like-software.

thanks for the comments.

Student
    just thinking about it..
    If I were you i´d go for a different direction like a portal website where a community can sell/ contribute their own made episodes/ levels game (and you prfit from that system with either ads or part of the cost of that particular item) that rely on a more simple engine because a complex engine allows complex attributes and is complex to master as developer.
    Maybe some game kit (all online) that everyone can handle but still lets the more *****ios people add details they need. If all people of the website use the same file packages (specifications you handle in your engine) i´d be even easier to swap different assets with different games (player model A to game B,...).

know this one?
    http://www.gamemaker.nl/
    they use a community as well to spread their tool on the masses. Many (esspecially young) people create adventures or simple shooter games with it- if I am not mistaken it uses some kind of wizard assistent to help you creating the kind of game you want- check it out for some research

about $$
    check out this one
    http://t3dgm.thegamecreators.com/ as well as the dutch game maker for prizes,- if you can offer the same (wich I doubt slightly) you know at least what the offline market asks. But like I said I´d go a different direction like a community or portal and more a easy game creation towards the younger ones (12-17) or people with less expierence in game making- because that´s your advantage: everyone (young and old -> not just the average game creator) can access the environment.
    Last edited by renderhjs; 11-17-2006 at 01:47 PM.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    If it was truely designer friendly, I'd be ready to spend some money to have it - not much, as I am an amateur and I do not expect my games to bring a significant income, but that would be helpfull to people like me, that have a minimum coding knowledge, but not enough to execute half of the things I'd like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    (wich I doubt slightly)
    thanks for that!!!!

no, sersiously, thanks for the suggestions/links. i'm developing this specifically for game dev firms/ developers with game experience to reflect/ease the sorts of things that go into a lot of games. graphic designers/animators end up with really sweet animations that don't offer any easy programmatic entry point. and developers are forced to set up level editors for designers. these are the sorts of situations i'm hoping to remedy. this is a tool for both ends, not a game development singular answer!

money really isn't the objective- indeed i don't care if i make a dime; i simply think i can.

i like the idea of a portal and the add-ons/plugins that could reside there: the code will be open source, and i'll certainly make the API for the graphical editors public.

thanks again!