A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Lucrative business avenue?

Interactive Designer

Lucrative business avenue?

Has anyone taken there 'web' based knowledge and applied to lucrative areas outside of the web browser?

For instance, we have been talking about the upcoming of FlashLite devices on the market, hopefully these devices will fill the market place within a year or so.

Mobile gaming and mobile web are becoming huge in America(unlike Japan, India, etc. where these markets are already booming)

The technology is allowing flashers like us to get into game and application development on a new platform without having to make major adjustments, since were using the same base technology.

Just a thought. Has anyone started taking advantage of this?

-Mike

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Don't forget about the Standalone market (huge). The thing about the standalone market that appeals to many is that a lot of the negative aspects of web based Flash (SEO, etc) are moot issues and if a commercial wrapper is used (SWF Studio, Zinc,etc) they get the best of both worlds with the full benefit of the Actionscript command set coupled with access to the OS itself and whatever niceties the wrapper provides with it's command set(and they are many). The issue of decompile is moot with embedded swf's (extracted at runtime or coded to never even hit the hard disk) and using encryption (My personal favorite, SWF Studio, supports on the fly 448 Blowfish) their data is secure.

They also get the opportunity to tap into the internet at will from the kiosk/standalone with things like external calls to server side backends, embedded browsers and such and many of the more popular ones support embedded databases (SQL, MDB, etc) so data storage and retrieval are right at their fingertips. There are just gobs of strictly standalone Flash coders (love the stuff myself )