dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [BETA] Snow Day

[BETA] Snow Day

Hey all,
    I'm getting ready to post a small winter/holiday game over at the farm.

Play SNOW DAY

Just looking for general feedback, you guys always have good comments.
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has difficulty understanding how to play.

I like those type of 'timing'-games.
    I don't have to much to comment: nice gameplay, nice graphics!

In a way I find it strange there's no snow-covered school in the background that slowly appears from under the melting snow instead of the bar you used. You draw very well, I should say give it a try.

its ok, i think it needs some more gameplay elements, if you added in angular throwing you could add in another guy who is trying to un-freeze your clouds, you then could thrown snowballs at him to stun and pause his attacks.

Stuff like powerups is good also.

Keep it up
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

In a way I find it strange there's no snow-covered school in the background that slowly appears from under the melting snow instead of the bar you used.
    Bah! I knew that would come up.
    My co-worker told me the same thing. I guess I'm just trying to avoid the extra work. Deep down I know you are both right though, I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by cadin; 11-27-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added quote for clarity

oh come on, its a small little winter game, you dont want hardcore gameplay or anything in there

i like it :)
    seemed rather pointless though, spending your winterbreak trying to keep it going (thats why you only see one person doing it, he got stuck with the job :P)

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Really nice, polished game.

horribly similar to something I've just started, but then I guess it's that time of year :-)

I was a bit confused early on about using space to charge and click to fire, I think the option should be available to use the mouse only to charge and fire (perhaps onMouseDown it charges and onMouseUp it fires)

other than that, it's a nice small game.

Mr. Malee:
    Yeah, adding some powerups or something could definitely add some complexity, but my main goal was just getting something simple and fun ready in time for the holidays. I think you make good points though. If I decide to upgrade it later (or make a sequel) I would definitely add a little something...

Captain:
    Actually I meant for you to use only the mouse. (Click and hold to charge, release to fire). Space bar must just still happen to work from some earlier testing. I'll take it out to avoid confusion. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Trogodor:
    Just think of it as devoting your time for the benefit of the other children. LOL.

Hmm... This games gives me an idea for a game.

Pretty good. no visible flaws, but kind of simple.

Hey, Cadin.
    Very nice game. As ussuall the graphics, are very good and there is nothing bad to say (except as mentioned by others, a snow covered school would be a very nice addition)
    The sound was cute at first, but after a while it drove me NUTS!! However I wouldn't get rid of it because it suits the game really well, and I had the option to turn it off (which I did ).
    The gameplay was simple and fairly addictive, but there are a lot of similiar games.

If you wanted to add some more gameplay elements, I would suggest making a different kind of combo (aswell as the one that you currently have).
    These combos would be different to the ones that you already have, because rather than rewarding the player for well timed shots, you could introduce combos that reward the player for constantly hitting clouds without making 'mis-throws' (ie.player hits a cloud two times before missing one, so he would get a bonus 50 points to his total score. The more clouds he hits the more bonus points he would be rewarded).

Great game, and it's a nice addition to the pencil farm.
    MY RATING: 3.5/5
    Viza.

P.S. Unless someone has beaten me while I was typing this message, I currently hold the high score (+4000)...BEAT THAT IMPRISONEDPRIDE!!

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantK
    Hmm... This games gives me an idea for a game.
    Great!
    (Please note that I retain 20% ownership of any ideas inspired by my games j/k)

Viza:
    I know, initially I didn't have the no music button, but it started driving me crazy as well so I figured I better give the option to turn it off! Ha.

I really like your idea for the combos. Thanks.

Very nice, love the graphics; espically that little guy. At first I wasn't sure how to play, missed the instructions on the side the in the start-up. Liked how you could get combo on hitting a few clouds at the same time.

I got hooked and decided to take over the highscore-list, only one viza to go and it's all mine!

I'd like to see a pause button and could the depth of the character and throw-meter be over the snow-bar?

LOL! Impressive walnoot.
    It seemed weird to me to have the guy be on top of the snow meter if the clouds are behind it. And if the clouds are on top of it, it gets too obscured during the game. Do you find that you are often playing that far to the side? Maybe I should just restrict his movement so he can't walk behind there.

I understand the depth-problem according to the clouds, but it just happens now and then when you try to get that combo in the corner. Since the game goes pretty fast, and you really have to squeeze out everything possible while playing, it could be a little frustrating when it happens. Nevertheless it's something very little, and the best games always have a very little buggy thingie somewhere in it.

Check, Walnoot
    damn, you've been playing this game a lot.

Nice! Competition!

Ps: I'm back at No.1.

Dude that is well polished. Leave it as is!

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viza

P.S. Unless someone has beaten me while I was typing this message, I currently hold the high score (+4000)...BEAT THAT IMPRISONEDPRIDE!!

How about 750. Will that do? I seriously suck at timing games... I'm assuming the best strategy is to run whilst holding the mouse down. Maybe I'm too tired, maybe I'm too slow, but I can't work it right. :P You win.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

@IP: LOL! Dude, I cant believe you just saw that message now...I'm just happy that I beat you at a flash game

@Castafiore: It's great that you enjoyed Cadin's game, but I think he would have 'left it as it is' last year.

Viza