dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [show/pimp] Cops And Robbers

[show/pimp] Cops And Robbers

riiight then....

errorware have just finished a game and it's actually gone live, woooo!!

http://www.xboxpromotions.co.uk/copsandrobbers/

For all you lazy buggers who won't read the instructions :

Simple, left to right dash across the city, left and right cursors to run and up cursor to jump [You can change keys though in menus]. Time trial against your self, or challenge a friend across email. My favourite bit is the ghost runner, he's off by defualt but you cna turn him on, he'll run your best lap.

The collision detection is rather interesting in this, no hitTest or tiles, it's all done with nodes and intersect points. it has it's pros and cons, and the engine is def. in it's first stages (lots of ideas of what to add next), but it's made for an interesting game design gig.

Lemme know what you guys think

Interesting little game there.

Couple of things:

1. I really don't think the loading screens went with "the mood".

2. After I beat the first level, I was just stuck at a white screen the first time through.

3. The second time I played, there was no music during the level.

4. I know you mentioned the hittest being different, only running into boxes looked slightly off(pushing you back almost too much)

5. When "trapped" behind boxes, I feel like I need to be able to control my jump a bit in mid-air.

I love the ghost(which I think should be on by default), and the artwork puts a nice mood on it I'm not sure if it actually matters, but I never had a "decision" to make as regards to path, I just always tried to jump the latest/fastest possible from each platform.

Congrats!

And does the challenge a friend play against just time, or the ghost?
    Last edited by UnknownGuy; 11-30-2006 at 05:17 PM.

hey looks great. the comic book style is cool.
    first time i played it went to a white window when i finished after that it was ok.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Really stunning look to it, really like it.

Only had the briefest of goes ( And I didn't turn the music off before starting, annoying ) but feels really solid and fast, good work cheeky

( btw, is this the one I missed out on ? Teach me to be skive's bitc'h, would really have liked to have had a crack at that ).

Squize.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Hey, really nice work there, love the comic style and the game is really nice. I had the same feelings as unknownGuy though, even about the preloader. Got the white screen after one play too.

But really cool all round. Great job *thumbs up*

Ali

Very cool. Love the graphic style of game. Maybe it was me, but the running character seemed to have some small white spots around them. Thought the loaders seemed to fit, and I also got the white screen first time I played.

I really liked the style, and the music.

BUT...

I only played it once, as I got through to the end, and it seemed to get stuck on a white window (my player is F9.)

can someone describe to me more in detail, what their spec is, and when exactly this annying white screen has appeared?

thanks

chris

very nice style, and great fast gameplay. The box's felt a little awkward when you run into them, maybe i was expecting a hit animation or something like that. Would be good if it detected you were near a box, and slowly climbed over it when you press jump. And i would love to see him grab onto ledges in mid air, that would be super cool

other than that, great game
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Nice. I like the style a lot. I thought the intro was good, I liked how it integrated with the game setup (choosing cops or robbers). The music doesn't feel right to me though.

The jumping animation is really nice, it makes it really fun to play. It's really annoying when you get stuck behind a box though (as others have noted).
    Overall very good. And I didn't get the white screen of death either .

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    The white screen appeared after level complete.. it showed the time, and then instead of going back to the menu (i assume that’s what was supposed to happen) it just went to a white screen and nothing happened.

I'm using firefox and windows xp.

Ali

it is really nice. I liked the feeling of speed when you were running and jumping, and the art+ animation are great.

I found a bug - tried to send to a friend , and after I did the send the flash went to a black frame then stopped. I was entering jibberish data though. I'm on firefox with the flash 9 player.

very nice indeed, white screen at the end of the first level, though ...

xp pro, fp9, ff

nGFX

nGfx, can I ask what sort of net connection you have? dial up? normal domestic broadband? leased line? borrowed cray cluster form NASA and sat link up?

Connection speed is the only thing I can think of for that damnwhite screen, escpeically as peopel only seem to ahve it once, then it's all good...

chris

6mbit dsl ...

fast enough for most things

nGFX

gaaaaahhh....

WHAT THE ****** IS CAUSING IT THEN!!!!???

got the white screen dude!! haha..win xp, firefox. It appears at the end of the level.

Good game. It is really annoying when you hit the boxes though. Perhaps have the guy tumble for a bit instead of a dead-stop?
    Also I can't say I'm in love with that music.
    Just mild criticisms though, overall a wicked little game.

Ah-hah, BUT, the white screen only appeared when I chose the BOY instead of the girl.

i think it's a first time thing. clear your cache. run it in ff (remotely) and it will happen i'm sure. i reckon it's coz of the delay loading the movie
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Really nice work chris, and quite satisfying leaping everywhere like a nutcase.

I didn't get the bug here (IE XP), but I had a similar issue when the pepperami site went live, it was low-bandwidth related and it was utterly impossible to recreate the bug locally, even when throttling the bandwidth in flash. Bad news is I never got to the bottom of it due to time constraints and had to hack it by checking to see if a movie had loaded, and reloading if it hadn't.

A couple of things I didn't like: the walking loop when you stand and jump looks a bit odd, and there are a couple of speckly animation artifacts that you can see only against a dark background. Unless that's a stylistic feature of course....