A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How can I get all my clicks to log to a database file?

How can I get all my clicks to log to a database file?

I've made a site in Flash. (Here's the link if you want to look:

http://andyrossdesign.com ).

I want to get data from how users are using the site. I want to learn what things they click on most.

What technology or software would be best to use to log all clicks of buttons/movie clips to a database on the server (Media Temple shared server)??

I really don't know much about setting up a site to gather data. Would I use CGI? PHP? mySQL?

TIA!

Welcome, juniorspecial.

I would say the easiest way to do this would be with PHP; depending on what you want to do with this information later, you might also need MySQL. Go to www.actionscript.org and run a search on their tutorials for PHP to get an idea of how Flash and PHP interact and communicate with each other. If you can handle that, then search the web for some tutorials or exist codes to do what you're hoping for.

You will, of course, need to have PHP - and possibly MySQL - installed on your server or, using Apache or something similar, set up your own computer to test your scripts. This can be a very daunting task; I spent months trying on and off to find an easy-to-understand tutorial on how to install them all. I finally found one here.

Good luck.

Well, I looked around quite a bit and I didn't find much of anything I could make sense of.

What would be some Actionscript that could be put on a button to add one to a field in a database?

Check out Google Analytics