A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best Flash Game Book

Best Flash Game Book

Hi all,
    What in your opinion is the best book on developing games in flash?

I thought Foundation Actionscript Animation: Making Things Move! by Keith Peters was really good.

It has alot of the math based Actionscript covered in it, very important thing to learn.

Student
    first off how about beeing more modest,- there is no such kind of "best",- it all depends on one´s personal experience & oppinion.

That beeing said my oppinion is that the internet itself is a very good source for that matter. What I usually don´t like on books: to often they always cover the basics and rip off your money one step further by publishing a bible instead of an expert knowledge slim & affordable book.
    In the past I really liked the books of "friendsof" and I own a few of them. What I like in particular is that many of their books are already focused on advanced material without the basic crap all over.
    But today I don´t look & work with such books anymore- all I need are some oReilly´s colin Moock books as Actionscript reference as they usually tell me just slightly more as the already good flash help can tell me.
    On a sidenote: I dont like macromedia´s/ flash´s online help for flash 8 its sooooo slow and crapped full with JS not very enjoyable to browse with Opera for example.

a great learning resource is the "Game Design Demystified" by Jobe Makar and "Flash Professional 8 Game Development" which gets into some basic 3D
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    On a sidenote: I dont like macromedia´s/ flash´s online help for flash 8 its sooooo slow and crapped full with JS not very enjoyable to browse with Opera for example.
    True, but the offline help's even worse. Flash quits when I try to open the ActionScript Reference panel.

Damnit, everything in the Mac versions of Flash is broken.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

The flash MX2k4 Offline Help is also Screwed, the pages for the Components Dictionary are vanished .. get always a "page not found" error ... Why did they doesn't fix it?