A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sixth Annual 48 Hour Flashkit Competition

after 5, before 4 Location::~Location(){}

Sixth Annual 48 Hour Flashkit Competition

****NOTE****THIS POST IS VERY SIMILAR TO THAT OF LAST YEAR'S. IF YOU KNOW THE RULES ALREADY, SCROLL DOWN TO THE "IMPORTANT" SECTION.
    * DISCLAIMER FOR MODS **************************
    I know that technically this should go in the contests forum, but the idea is more of a community game developer thing than an actual contest
    ************************************************ // Couldn’t have said it better myself, MattGuest!

****************48 Hour annual Flashkit Competition************************

For all those who have never participated or heard about this competition, this thread will tell you everything you need to know except for the topic on what you have to be designing about. For all the others...well let this be a refresher.

A Brief History:

Approximately 4 years ago, a great and wise FK user by the name of Matt Guest decided to start a competition that would get everyone involved and that would test fellow FK user’s abilities to produce a game within a time limit of 48 hours. Unfortunately, he didn’t have time to host it so the whole thing was going down the tube until I decided to take up the challenge and try my best to keep it together. Well 4 years later, I can say that it’s become one of the most famous(if I may say so) annual 48 hour game competition on Flashkit. Although it hasn’t been exactly 1 year between each competition, it’s starting to even out and become more annual. From topics like Telephone Wires to Flashkit Member Hockey Pucks to Almonds and finally to Bars, this competition has seen a wide array of utterly bizarre topics!

Summary:

As I said before, this is a competition that tries to be hosted every year. All it requires is a reasonable number of participants and a set of imaginative brains that can function well enough under stress and do not feel the need to be paid for doing so. Remember: The prize is glory and not money! If you don’t agree with that then you’re not made for this competition and you should try some place else. It reduces significantly the possibility of cheating and the depression caused by losing since nothing really is at stake so you’re just in it for fun! Ok, so how does it work? Well on a picked date, I will post a thread that will give last minute reminders and of course, the topic. The thread will be entitled “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Begins!” Once that thread has been posted, you will have exactly 48 hours to produce a game that relates completely with the topic (Let’s say the topic is Almonds, you can’t just post a space shooter game with a little almond picture at the bottom of the screen!). The point of your game is to show that IT IS the topic. The general idea of the whole thing should revolve around it. Once your game is finished, you must host it on your own website (if you don’t have one, get a free one like geocities) or on someone's site(if someone is willing to create a simple upload site).Once your game is hosted, just paste the link with the name of your game in a new thread that I will start soon after the competition begins and that will be called “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Entries.” As soon as I make a post in the “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Entries” thread saying that the competition is over, all links posted after that will not count. Once all valid games are in, i post the links and the names of the competitors in a new thread called “48 Hour Flashkit Competition Voting”. Ill give a time around 48 hours to do the voting. In that thread, I will post everything you need to know about how to vote.

Your game will be voted on in these categories:

-Best Art

It is obvious to see who put more effort into aesthetics and who put less. This category rules over the graphical beauty of your game.

-Most Fun

Pretty Self-Explanatory

-Most hard work

This is more of a subjective category since it’s hard to judge how much work someone put into their game. However, it’s easy to recognize what is easy and what is hard to do in Flash(or even takes more time), so try to base yourself on those guidelines. Ex: A simple man moving compared to a man walking with detailed movement took less time to make. You be the judge.

-Most original

Another GTA game!? Oh please, games should be “out of the blue” and completely random at best. If the topic is Almonds and you make a tic-tac-toe game with almonds and nuts, you’ll have less of a chance of winning than if you made an intergalactic conquest based on the adventures of Sir Almondalot and that he is traveling to save his fellow nuts from becoming crazy(quite ironic). Well this category is pretty self-explanatory, so just see what game is different from the rest(in a good way).

-All around goodness

You have to at least have one favorite, so this is your chance to vote on the person who made your favorite game.

-There is also another category called “All around best total” and is given to the person who receives the most votes in total (all of the categories combined). I do this, and you cannot vote for it.

*Those were the categories, so if you want to increase your chance of winning, follow the tips mentioned above(don’t use Sir Almondalot....poor guy..he never made it passed the Mixed Nuts Dish).

********************IMPORTANT SECTION*******************

Ok so I need to know if people are still interested, and what time period would be best for them. Just post saying when you're available to play.

-Beatcow

yup, but lets do it after Christmas. I got exams now

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Noo, I’ve got exams AFTER Christmas . Do it during the Christmas holidays (weekend before the Christmas weekend?). I wont be able to take part if its any time between new year and the end of January, and I really want to have another go at this .

Ali

I'm really interested and would love to compete.

Assuming you do it on a weekend, I vote for the 6-7th weekend of January, as I will be unable to participate on the 30th-31st of December(I'm assuming your doing it after Christmas.)

Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGuy
    I vote for the 6-7th weekend of January
    They extending January this year?

Heh, I meant the weekend that fell on the 6th and 7th. :P

Hehe, well I wont be able to join in then

sounds great, never entered one of these before, i'll give it a shot
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Adventurer,Futurist, Egomaniac
    Any weekend except next weekend please. I'm really hoping to enter, watched this contest from the sidelines for years now.

Chris

Sounds like fun, Heck I'll get it a try. Any weekend is cool with me.

I'm in if I'm free for the weekend. Dec. 22nd and 23rd or 29th and 30th would be good for me.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    :sigh: I wish I had time for these things... I've got a couple really good ideas too. (Plus it would be fun imho to hole up in my room and code for 48 straight hours... ahh the good ol' days). Wish I could participate. Count me out.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Im gonna make it my mission to actually participate in this, missing creating my own games for fun.

Any weekend but not the next two would be fine with me.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

better than chuck norris
    I basically have no life, so any time works for me.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    After Christmas

idc, go with the majority and do it on a weekend =P
    Your skill in reading has increased by 1.

I would like to have a go. Don't care when it is, just give plenty of notice.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    sounds very fun, I hope to have time and a good idea

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

This year's buggered for me, but in saying that I still think the comp should happen pre-Christmas otherwise people will just lose interest.

Looks like I get to keep my 100% record for another year

Squize.

Yea, do it next weekend (the one after this one coming). We don't need loads of notice.. its not like people have to cancel other plans for it . I agree with Squize that after Christmas a lot of interest will be lost, people will be busy over the Christmas weekend and will just want to relax after. On top of that, things get quiet round here during the couple of weeks before Christmas, this would help to keep the board active.

Shame you can't join in Squize . It will be too easy now (just kidding, I probably wont win anything anyway).

Ali