A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: JPG vs. PNG

JPG vs. PNG

When bringin images into flash, which would be better?

PNG?
    JPG?
    JPG saved for web?

Or maybe something else?

Anything input would be appreciated. THANKS!

-John

PNG if you're going for transparencies. Otherwise, whatever gives you the most desirable results at the lowest file size. So long as you can make them look good (i.e. not too terribly compressed), jpgs should be fairly small compared to other formats.

Cartoonist
    That opens another question; IF JPG's and GIF's suffer from pixelation and distortion when any common browser is resized to effect something other than the image at 100% or multiple (sometimes harmonic) thereof (either direction) and PNG is suppose to be "lossless", would down-sizing the same image in PNG format in those same browsers cause as much pixelation or distortion as they would with the JPG and GIF versions? OR, is compression not a factor?

Thought -- I will post this question again as a new topic. I've seen so many variations of this question in many forums go unanswered for lack of clarity in the problem description.
    Inventor / Cartoonist / Pilot

Cartoonist
    To webmaster: My first click on "Post Quick Reply" received the error message that I emailed to you. My second attempt succeeded as you can see above.
    Inventor / Cartoonist / Pilot